Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2013 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,402 Posts
Default 2013 Draft priorities

the steelers philosophy has always been to take away the run and make the opponent one dimensional. they also made do with mediocre talent at corner back by forcing qb's into quick throws with the pass rush. its served them well and kept them competitive over the years. their record and superbowl appearances proves so.
there's been an obvious drop off in their ability to stop the run and the pass rush . obviously you can't fix multiple positions with just one draft so you have to prioritize and try to address your most glaring needs first. the steelers have always had quality depth to fall back on , but i don't see that quality anymore. they've become complacent in finding "the next guy", and adding him to the roster.
keeping guys like mundy and foote around makes no sense to me because they've already hit their ceiling and it wasn't very high. they've traded away a chance to discover the next "diamond in the rough", for temporary security . guys that can step in and be serviceable but will never starter grade players.
3 years....3 years should be a sufficient amount of time to evaluate if a player has progressed to the point of being considered starter material and ready to take over if called upon without a huge drop off in performance. ryan mundy is a HUGE drop off in performance. they literally have to change the entire defense to try to accommodate and hide the drop !!! so why have they not tried to find someone with more talent ? don't get me wrong, you don't just find another troy , he's a one of a kind , but to be satisfied with a player that most likely couldn't land a starter gig any where else in the NFL is just foolish
. i'll end my rant here and give my two cents on the subject.

fat snack is obviously done after this season, tauma is heading to jail, mcclendon hasn't proven crap. i think a NT should be a high priority.

harrison is nearing the end. worilds or carter isn't the answer. OLB is a high priority.

troy isn't a game changer anymore and can't stay healthy. mundy sucks and is also getting old. SS should be a high priority.

clark is getting old. no quality back ups. FS is a medium priority.

keisel is nearing the end. hood hasn't exactly impressed. heyward is still a question mark. DE should be a medium priority.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts
Default Re: 2013 Draft priorities

Dion Jordan or Alex Okafor in the first round solves the Harrison problem. Those guys have tremendous upside and explosive ability to get off the line with a quick first step. Plus, Jordan is 6'7 240 and runs a 4.4. Why wouldn't we grab him?

Safety will be addressed in the second round by grabbing either Rambo or Jefferson and either one of those two would make me happy. Assuming the Steelers are picking anywhere between 25 and 32 -- which by the way they're playing right now seems like a likely possiblilty -- Elam, Reid and Vaccaro will be off the board at this point. If Matt Elam falls to around 40-ish, the Steelers absolutely must trade up to grab him.

Even if the Steelers have two picks in this years draft, if they're Dion Jordan and Matt Elam, I'm perfectly okay with that. Elam brings a similar skill set that Polamalu brings - a knack for finding the ball and breaking it up.

A darkhorse pick here is CJ Mosley out of Alabama in the second round. Again, drafting Mosley with Jordan gives the Steelers the best LB core in the NFL again with...

Jordan / ROLB - Mosley + Timmons / MLB - Woodley / LOLB

... and provides an infusion of youth in this defense. I think that it's unlikely, however, that the Steelers don't pick Safety very high in this years draft. Expect a trade if a candidate like Jefferson or Elam is on the board past 40.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,571 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Worilds has three sacks in his limited playing time. I'm not ready to write him off.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bayz101 For This Useful Post:
MDSteel15 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316

We keep drafting secondary and offensive lineman. I'd like to see defensive line and linebacker addressed. It's really unfortunate Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward haven't lived up to "first round" status. I had higher hope for these guys.
sluggermatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
We keep drafting secondary and offensive lineman. I'd like to see defensive line and linebacker addressed. It's really unfortunate Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward haven't lived up to "first round" status. I had higher hope for these guys.
Way too early to make a call one way or the other on Heyward. He hasn't had nearly enough snaps or legitimate gametime to say he haven't lived up to his first round bill.

It definitely could be argued that Hood hasn't, but he's made strides this year in his game to become a legitimate DE. That said, I point to his lack of production this year right toward Hampton and his inability to command double teams. When Hood gets 1-on-1, he wins those battles for the most part. It is a little upsetting that the Bills grabbed Jarius Byrd at 42nd in the same draft, though. Kinda missed on that pick.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
bhandsome08
Water Boy

Member Number: 24495

Biggest needs for the draft next year would be OLB, ILB and S.
I'm Thinking They'll draft a LB in the rounds one and two. I think they can wait till the 3rd round to get a safety. This year is deep for safety, and a strong defensive class overall.
bhandsome08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

I think McClendon is the NT of the future ... he showed a good bit when he was on the field maybe we watch different games ...

but I think the draft depends on if Alec Ogletree declares early ... IF Ogletree declares and is sitting there on the board when we pick ... I think you have to take him

I also don't think these 6-4, 6-7 DE/OLB is in the Steelers nature ... they usually go for smaller prospects for the OLB
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
bhandsome08
Water Boy

With the release of ta'amu. I think NT could be added to the list of priorities
Old 11-14-2012, 02:38 AM   #9
bhandsome08
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
I think McClendon is the NT of the future ... he showed a good bit when he was on the field maybe we watch different games ...

but I think the draft depends on if Alec Ogletree declares early ... IF Ogletree declares and is sitting there on the board when we pick ... I think you have to take him

I also don't think these 6-4, 6-7 DE/OLB is in the Steelers nature ... they usually go for smaller prospects for the OLB
I highly Doubt Alec Ogletree declares this year.

I have to agree that McLendon is the future NT, and that 6’4-6'7 LBs aren't what the Steelers usually go after.
Usually they go for someone between 6'-6'2. Tallest LB they currently have is Brandon Johnson at 6'5, But if someone like Dion Jordan or Alex Okafor is available, u gotta pick em.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
kent
Bench Warmer

Speed Racer Champion! Big Truck Adventures 3 Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Chain Reaction - Newgrounds Champion!
Member Number: 24510

I wouldnt mind drafting a quality backup qb in the mid to late rounds if there is one.
kent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kent For This Useful Post:
MDSteel15 (11-26-2012)