Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #41
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340
Default Re: Byron Leftwich will start

Byron will be placed on IR in the 1st half Sunday night. Mark my words.
EbonySteel86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #42
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianKustomz View Post
If Sandwich wins this game for us I will start calling him by his real name but first he must earn it in my books.
How old are you, 12?
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #43
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Blah blah blah to another Ravens supporter. How about this...at least our QB can actually win a SuperBowl. At least our QB doesn't wine when he gets hurt. At least our QB has more trophies and MVP's then Flacco ever will. Yes Flacco is ok but he's no Ben. He's a wannabe Ben. Just a shadow playing for a team the always chokes when the game is on the line. Ravens are a second rate team. We have 6 SB rings and hold the most NFL records then any NFL team in the entire history of the NFL. Most rings, most playoff championships etc. Flacco is just a shadow of the actual talent needed to be a winner.

Go back to the Ravens forum.

We...are...PITTSBURGH
We...are...PITTSBURGH
We...are...PITTSBURGH
I hate to be the one to tell you but Ben doesn't have any MVPs.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #44
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,822 Times in 7,531 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
the ratty ratbirds haven't exactly been fearsome this year..
26th run defense
26th pass defense
16 sacks
its the officials the steelers need to worry about. they are the real reason the rat bastards are still in 1st in the division.
That's what I've been saying for a few weeks: BALT is not the BALT of old. They gave up back-to-back 200 yard rushing days...

...one of which was to KC.

Speaking of which, they beat KC due to a crappy fumble call (9-6 instead of 9-13). They beat the Taperiots due to a "judgement" call on a FG. And, Joe Flacco still sucks.

Run behind The Colon & Pouncey. Establish the run. Then, hit them deep with Wallace (Leftwich can throw a pretty-looking deep ball). Two "easy" TDs, plus one more long TD drive, and I see a 17-21 victory.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #45
SteelCurtain5643
Starter

Member Number: 12838

Quote:
If Sandwich wins this game for us I will start calling him by his real name but first he must earn it in my books.

Now as far as the other QB's that won games for us when Ben was out had at least some talent. Maybe I am being too critical but after watching a few throws from him and seeing how he controlled the offense I have no faith in him. But like I've been saying I hope he proves me wrong but something tells me we are primarily going to have to depend on our defense. I still this this is going to be a brutal loss.
Dude you're not even clever with the Sandwich stuff and its just plain annoying and you sound retarded so just stop seriously.
SteelCurtain5643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:53 AM   #46
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,343 Times in 3,991 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich has a history with the Baltimore Ravens

By Neal Coolong on Nov 14

A trading snafu between Baltimore and Minnesota during the NFL Draft - the second in two years for the Vikings - brought Byron Leftwich to Jacksonville in 2003.

Millions of dollars are spent every year on the product that is the NFL Draft. From scouting to analysts to video to bandwidth, the high-ranking players eligible to be selected are spun around and evaluated inside and out.

It's difficult to get a good idea in real time how each team did in the particular draft, but well after the dust settles, and memories fade, some things can become pretty clear.

The 2003 NFL Draft is a good example of this. The fortunes of two teams were benefited greatly, even if, at the time, it appeared as if a major blunder had occurred.

The draft went pretty much as expected through the first six picks - Cincinnati took QB Carson Palmer, WR Charles Rogers went second to Detroit (whoops), Houston took WR Andre Johnson, the Jets took DT Dewayne Robertson, Dallas took CB Terence Newman and New Orleans went with DT Jonathan Sullivan (another whoops).

Sitting on the clock with the seventh pick, the Vikings were ideal trade partners from a multitude of teams. The target was Marshall quarterback Byron Leftwich - the second passer during a multi-year run on MAC conference quarterbacks that included Chad Pennington (2000 to the Jets) and Ben Roethlisberger (2004 to the Steelers).

We may never get the exact truth of what happened, but in a furious 10-minute span, allegations of Vikings indecision, communications failures and general chaos ensued.

The Vikings weren't strangers to this. Selecting No. 7 overall in 2002, the Vikings were alleged to have had their top choice, DT Ryan Sims, taken from them. Dallas and Kansas City agreed to a trade, swapping the No. 6 pick (Dallas's) and the No. 8 pick (Kansas City's). Time on the Chiefs pick had expired, and per draft rules, when the clock expires without a pick, the team selecting after the team on the clock can make a selection.

In this case, the Vikings were drafting No. 7, and since the Chiefs, now owners of the No. 6 pick, hadn't selected, the Vikings were free to choose. The story goes a Chiefs assistant equipment manager literally blocked the Vikings from submitting Sims's name until he got confirmation the trade had been consummated. He then submitted Sims' name for the Chiefs pick.

More on who the Vikings took in a minute.

Back to 2003, The Steelers were on the clock with the seventh pick, and they had a deal worked out with the Ravens, who were selecting 10th. The teams would swap picks, with the Ravens wanting Leftwich. The Vikings claim they called the pick into the league, but no one answered the phone. In the meantime, the clock expired, and the Jacksonville Jaguars jumped ahead of them to take Leftwich, thus killing the deal.

The Vikings weren't prepared to make a pick, because they thought they had just traded it away. In the confusion, Carolina jumped up to take OT Jordan Gross.

The Vikings then submitted their pick, now, No. 9 overall: DT Kevin Williams. Without a deal in place, the Ravens had to settle for DE/OLB Terrell Suggs.

While Leftwich was seen as the franchise passer for the next 10 years in Jacksonville, Gross was an All-Pro in 2008 and has been to multiple Pro Bowls. Williams is arguably the best 3-technique defensive tackle of his generation and Terrell Suggs was the 2011 AP Defensive Player of the Year, along with going to multiple Pro Bowls himself.

Leftwich was cut by the Jaguars before the 2007 season, losing the starting job to David Garrard. Leftwich ended up in post-Vick Atlanta, and eventually, Pittsburgh in 2008. He left for a brief gig in Tampa Bay, only to end back up in Pittsburgh, where he's been since 2009.

Even more interesting, though, is connected back to the 2002 draft. The Vikings coveted Sims, and were essentially screwed by the Chiefs (not much of a gain for them, as it turns out, Sims was out of Kansas City by 2007, and out of football by 2010). Instead, they drafted OT Bryant McKinnie.

McKinnie is now a reserve linemen for the Ravens after starting at left tackle for them in 2011 and part of 2012.

Not that the Ravens made the greatest decisions after that. They traded their 2004 first round pick and a 2004 second round pick to New England for the Patriots' No. 19 overall selection. The Patriots selected Vince Wilfork with that pick. The Ravens took Kyle Boller.

Now, this and a buck will get you a cup of coffee and a newspaper with better writing than I can give you, but the extremely small world of the NFL is all connected, and it's interesting to see that play out over time.

The Vikings were savaged by the media in 2003, and ended up with one of the best defensive players of his time (I'd be surprised if Williams is not in the Hall of Fame at some point) and the anchor of a great defensive team in that decade. Suggs, the last player taken in the whole affair has had an outstanding career himself, particularly against the Steelers. Even Gross had a decent amount of success.

Leftwich has clearly been the least of three players, but he likely has the chance to bring things full circle with a likely start against Baltimore in Week 11, filling in for the injured Ben Roethlisberger - who isn't expected to play due to a shoulder injury.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...nville-jaguars
Old 11-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #47
BleedPurple
Starter

Member Number: 19142

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
That was a heck of a play that Sterling Moore made on that ball.....It was a great play....The part that is sad, is at the end of the game Harbaugh said were sticking with Billy, and was pumping him up, but threw him under the bus next season......
He (Billy) had a strong leg, but really started to become a liability once kickoffs were moved up 5 yards. He was slated to be our kicker this season but lost the job in the preseason to our current kicker, which so far has turned out to be a good move.
BleedPurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:06 AM   #48
BleedPurple
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
That's what I've been saying for a few weeks: BALT is not the BALT of old. They gave up back-to-back 200 yard rushing days...

...one of which was to KC.

Speaking of which, they beat KC due to a crappy fumble call (9-6 instead of 9-13). They beat the Taperiots due to a "judgement" call on a FG. And, Joe Flacco still sucks.

Run behind The Colon & Pouncey. Establish the run. Then, hit them deep with Wallace (Leftwich can throw a pretty-looking deep ball). Two "easy" TDs, plus one more long TD drive, and I see a 17-21 victory.

7-2 is the only stat that matters.

Although #1 defense in the red zone is a nice bonus...
Old 11-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #49
BleedPurple
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
and terrell suggs has been terrrell sucks this year
Yea! His stat line looks like he didn't even play the first 8 games! What a loser, not like he was dpoy last year or anything.

You guys have serious ravens envy this season, it's sad.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:25 AM   #50
BleedPurple
Starter

Quote:
Blah blah blah to another Ravens supporter. How about this...at least our QB can actually win a SuperBowl. At least our QB doesn't wine when he gets hurt. At least our QB has more trophies and MVP's then Flacco ever will. Yes Flacco is ok but he's no Ben. He's a wannabe Ben. Just a shadow playing for a team the always chokes when the game is on the line. Ravens are a second rate team. We have 6 SB rings and hold the most NFL records then any NFL team in the entire history of the NFL. Most rings, most playoff championships etc. Flacco is just a shadow of the actual talent needed to be a winner.

Go back to the Ravens forum.

We...are...PITTSBURGH
We...are...PITTSBURGH
We...are...PITTSBURGH
Once we have been around for 80 years we can compare rings. Until then comparing a team that has been around since 33 to a team formed in '96 is asinine. Stop leaning on 40 year old rings and let's talk about this season. We are healthier and more talented, and you are going to lose on Sunday.