Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,750 Times in 2,938 Posts
Default Ryan Clark accepts he's 'going to be messed up' later in life

Steelers Notebook: S Ryan Clark accepts he's 'going to be messed up' later in life

By Chris Adamski | CBSSports.com
November 14, 2012

Steelers free safety Ryan Clark was cleared to play Wednesday after suffering his second concussion in 16 days. (US Presswire)

FS Ryan Clark was cleared to practice Wednesday, but he and the Steelers' medical staff decided an extra day of rest could hurst less than 48 hours after suffering his second concussion in 16 days.

He anticipates final clearance to play Sunday night against Baltimore will come before practice Thursday.

“Everything's good,” said Clark, who practiced on a limited basis. “I did well on the impact test, so we will see how it goes from here.”

Clark is optimistice about his prospects for playing Sunday against the rival Ravens. But he isn't so sure about the longterm future given his multiple concussions.

“Oh, I'm going to be messed up,” Clark said.

He said it with a smile, but Clark also acknowledged, “That's just part of it,” when asked if he's worried about the long-term effects on his brain.

“When you sign up to play this game, we know that there are risks and you know you pray and hope that you never have to deal with the long-term effects of it,” Clark said. “But you know there's going to be long-term effects when you play a collision sport for a living. And you try to do the things to help combat that so you can have the best quality of life once it's over.”

Clark cannot play in Denver because of the sickle cell trait he has that makes it dangerous for him to play in high altitudes. Other than games missed there, Clark has not sat out a game due to injury since 2008.

Mendenhall returns to practice: The Steelers' four-game winning streak has coincided exactly with RB Rashard Mendenhall being out due to an Achilles injury. With that streak on the line Sunday, they might just have their starting running back available.

Mendenhall practiced fully Wednesday, the first time since being knocked out of the Oct. 11 game at Tennessee, in which he was held to 6 yards on six carries. In his only other game, he had 101 yards in a victory over Philadelphia.

Other injuries: LB Stevenson Sylvester was a full participant in practice after missing the past two games with a hamstring injury. CBs Ike Taylor (illness) and Curtis Brown (quadriceps) were limited in practice. OT Max Starks (ankle) and DE Brett Keisel (shoulder) did not practice Wednesday, but their injuries are not considered significant. LB Chris Carter (abdomen) also did not practice.

The star trio of QB Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder/ribs), S Troy Polamalu (calf) and Antonio Brown (ankle) did not practice again. None are expected to play Sunday -- Roethlisberger has already been ruled out, but Brown “left the door ajar," as coach Mike Tomlin might say.

“This is one of the most looked-forward to games on the schedule,” Brown said. “The game that sets us where we're going to be in the division. You always want to make a comeback against these guys, so I'm doing everything I can to get the necessary treatment to make sure I can go.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...-later-in-life
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Default Re: Ryan Clark accepts he's 'going to be messed up' later in life

Wow, someone who actually takes responsibility for what he does. It's as rare these days as an honest politician.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts

He will play.

Clark and Allen seem to play pretty well together.

we needs them now more than ever since Troy's calf is shredded meat muscle

Ryan's skull is tough to crack, I salute him
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,830 Times in 2,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Steelers Notebook: S Ryan Clark accepts he's 'going to be messed up' later in life

By Chris Adamski | CBSSports.com
November 14, 2012

FS Ryan Clark was cleared to practice Wednesday, but he and the Steelers' medical staff decided an extra day of rest could hurst less than 48 hours after suffering his second concussion in 16 days.

He anticipates final clearance to play Sunday night against Baltimore will come before practice Thursday.

Clark is optimistice about his prospects for playing Sunday against the rival Ravens. But he isn't so sure about the longterm future given his multiple concussions.

l]
william randolph hurst? armistice?

run it through an editor, adam&eveski.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
wera176
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18645

Clark is a damn good football player and plays the game the way the Steel Curtain did.

We are fortunate to have him.

wera176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 3,238 Times in 1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
william randolph hurst? armistice?

run it through an editor, adam&eveski.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MACH1 For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (11-15-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Ryan Clark Switching To New Helmet After Suffering Two Concussions In Past Three Games

Thursday, November 15th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark announced on Wednesday that he has decided to change helmets after suffering two concussions in the past three games.

Clark will now wear the new Riddell Revolution Speed helmet that ranks highly in concussion testing. It is the same helmet that friend and fellow safety Troy Polamalu currently wears.

More and more players are switching to these style of helmets. Why? Obviously because they are safer. If that indeed is the case, and there is no reason to think differently, why isn't the league making it mandatory that all players wear a top rated helmet? Also, why aren't more players making the switch own their own? Could it be the coolness factor?

"It looks like a big moon helmet, you see it, it's terrible," Clark said Wednesday via the Post-Gazette, holding up his new headgear. "Look how ugly it is and how big it is. It tested No. 1 in concussion tests. I changed the inside of it, hopefully, that helps."

It is believed that Clark modified the helmet by adding Kevlar padding just like linebacker James Harrison has done to his helmet.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/11...t-three-games/
Old 11-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,589 Times in 1,969 Posts

hope not, ryan is awesome
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Clark plans on playing

Posted by Teresa Varley on November 15, 2012

Safety Ryan Clark went full tilt in practice on Thursday, after suffering a concussion against the Chiefs on Monday night.

Clark practiced in a limited basis on Wednesday, but was able to go through a full practice Thursday and expects to play on Sunday night against the Ravens.

“I’m playing,” said Clark. “It would have to be a setback not to. The week has to continue. I only pushed myself one day. I have to go back out there and push myself again. A big part of it is passing the test.”

This is the second concussion that Clark has had this season, previously suffering one against the Washington Redskins, but he said that won’t change the way he plays the game.

“I never had a concussion and you get two in three weeks,” said Clark. “You worry about that. But sometimes you get hit right, and that’s what happened to me twice. You play until you can’t play anymore. I am going to play the same way, give my all and if I am out there for the team be the same 25.”

While Clark practiced, four players missed including wide receiver Antonio Brown (ankle), tackle Marcus Gilbert (ankle), safety Troy Polamalu (calf), and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (right shoulder).

Cornerback Curtis Brown (quadriceps), defensive end Brett Keisel (shoulder), tackle Max Starks (ankle), linebacker Stevenson Sylvester (hamstring), cornerback Ike Taylor (illness) and running back Rashard Mendenhall (Achilles) were full participants in practice.

“I am taking it a day at a time,” said Mendenhall. “It feels good. I just want to continue to build on that.”
Mendenhall said he has worked more in practice this week than he has since he injured the Achilles, and hopes to get back on the field this week

“I am back to full practice. Fatigue is not as much an issue as it’s been. It’s just full practice like a normal work week.”

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/11/15/...ns-on-playing/
Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,830 Times in 2,093 Posts

i find it hilarious that james harrison is the 1st defensive player in the nfl to "weaponize" his helmet with the military grade kevlar in the helmet.

suck on that goodell!

im glad the fashion queen, and future glass of orange juice, ryan clark is catching on.