Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #31
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky
Default Re: Wallace wants to go deep more

I thought I'd feel better but I don't........ In fact it hurts more.

I'm sorry Tony.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #32
Twentyvalve
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18796

I agree with you to an extent. I think Miller's predicament is unique, the guy does not say a word either way. And, imagine a TE whining about not being utilized as receiver enough - that would draw much boo-haaas. Maybe my TE analogy was not the best, but you get the gist.

I still don't get the hate for Wallace. He is a fast, probowl quality receiver who wants to utilize his best asset and contribute. He held out for money. I want to get paid as much as I can for my job, I don't really care about what anyone else thinks, why should he? We can all have our perceptions of his personality and ego, but none of us know the guy personally so whatever our comments, which are free to offer, are based on opinion only.

I am just happy he is back. And making plays. And while we are on the subject of plays, I loved the snap to Rainey with Ben faking the high snap grab. That was classic! A first? I can just see Arians staring at that play slack-jawed with drool drooling from his mouth not being able to comprehend something so alien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
We don't have to imagine this scenario. It happened to Miller for years and years under Arians. And guess what. Miller didn't cry about it once. The man sat back patiently for half of his career being totally under utilized and wasted because we had a shit OC. Now that Miller is finally getting his dues, Wallace is crying that he ain't in the spotlight anymore even though he was planning on holding out this season anyways and clearly doesn't deserve the opportunity to get balls thrown his way due to his pathetic play and contributions to the team on and of the field.

It's just another sign that Wallace is a little boy still, and has the big headed WR disease that so many of them get. I'm glad that the 5-6 force fed dud bombs to Wallace every game are gone. I'm glad that they aren't even throwing one to him a game and in fact are scoring more points per game without the deep threat tactic than they were with it. Hopefully it helps humble Wallace and returns him back to planet earth while he is young and still has a chance to decide how he wants his legacy to be written. I'd hate to see Wallace be a punk his whole career and earn a bad rep for himself, then find himself begging for a job and working for peanuts like TO, Chad Johnson etc.

Having said all this. I still believe that airing it out to Wallace will be a huge part of our new offensive gameplay coming this postseason. I'm expecting a completely different offensive philosophy change and it'll look nothing like the Steelers we have been all watching the past 7 games.

I've mentioned before that I'm loving the new Haley offense, but I've been thinking a lot recently about how long he can possibly keep it fresh and unpredictable before it turns into the predictable and boring Arians offense. . I'm really hoping that we are barely seeing the tip of the iceberg and we can stay hot for years to come. I have way way way more confidence in Haley and his potential than Arians, but we can only be so successful for so long building an offensive scheme around the WR quick screens.

This is also why I'm guessing we will be high flying come late December and January.
Twentyvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #33
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Yep, he's also been dropping balls and disappearing when we need him the most.

Mike Wallace's Deep bombs don't scare Defenses anymore, because they know that even if he catches one, he'll do very little else for the rest of the game. Teams aren't losing sleep over having to play Wallace. Antonio Brown is the guy drawing double teams and respect from Defenses.
Suggs mentioned this beginning if last season, when there was less of brown to study. They were more worried about him than Wallace. Lets face another fact, Ben hasn't exactly been able to get him the ball constantly on deep routes. He's even over thrown him at times.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #34
BlaZeQuietly
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

It would be great to keep Wallace Brown and Sanders together "young money" as they call them selves. We should probably keep all the young talent we can.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #35
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

[QUOTE=Twentyvalve;1043528]I agree with you to an extent. I think Miller's predicament is unique, the guy does not say a word either way. And, imagine a TE whining about not being utilized as receiver enough - that would draw much boo-haaas. Maybe my TE analogy was not the best, but you get the gist.

Its because Miller is a team player. He doesn't care about stats or landing a big contract, he honors the one he has and gives 100 percent. Has nothing to do with position. Plenty of WR have the same trait, Ed McCaffery, Stever Largent. , Dwight Clark, Wes Welker even. Get were I am going.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #36
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twentyvalve View Post

And while we are on the subject of plays, I loved the snap to Rainey with Ben faking the high snap grab. That was classic! A first? I can just see Arians staring at that play slack-jawed with drool drooling from his mouth not being able to comprehend something so alien.
actually arians and ben have used that atleast once before. i know theyve used it in the regular season and maybe the direct snap to El for the 2 point conversion in the SB?

brett favre "invented" that and brady and ben have both used it (thats all, that i am aware of).

the best fake direct snap goes back to mularkey. kordell walked out from under center to bark a play at a wr and the direct snap went to bettis for a 1st down (vs vikings in 2001 i believe).

it was so good, mike martz and kurt warner incorporated it in their "greatest show on turf" offense the following year (to either faulk or trung candidate).

someone needs to blow the dust off that play.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:59 AM   #37
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
found this on nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...eelers-offense

why so he can drop more important passes?
It's because he has a difficult time snatching passes out of the air. For the lack of a better term, he can only cradle-catch the ball. So rather than work on learning how to catch and improve his poor fundamentals, he would rather whine about not being sent deep.

To think, some fans thought he was worth $11,000,000 a year
Old 11-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #38
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
I agree with you to an extent. I think Miller's predicament is unique, the guy does not say a word either way. And, imagine a TE whining about not being utilized as receiver enough - that would draw much boo-haaas. Maybe my TE analogy was not the best, but you get the gist.

I still don't get the hate for Wallace. He is a fast, probowl quality receiver who wants to utilize his best asset and contribute. He held out for money. I want to get paid as much as I can for my job, I don't really care about what anyone else thinks, why should he? We can all have our perceptions of his personality and ego, but none of us know the guy personally so whatever our comments, which are free to offer, are based on opinion only.

I am just happy he is back. And making plays. And while we are on the subject of plays, I loved the snap to Rainey with Ben faking the high snap grab. That was classic! A first? I can just see Arians staring at that play slack-jawed with drool drooling from his mouth not being able to comprehend something so alien.
I loved the direct snap too. Brady uses it 3-5 times a year or so in his offense. I do remember bird brain using a direct snap though. It was at the goal line and they sent Wallace in motion . They snapped it to him and he continued in for the score. It may have been against new England as well....I was in shock that arians thought outside the box for once....
Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #39
Twentyvalve
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18796

I did not know but I am not surprised. That was more of a jab at Arians than it was reality. I still say he is a slack-jawed drooling simpleton!

[QUOTE=cubanstogie;1043539]
Quote:

Its because Miller is a team player. He doesn't care about stats or landing a big contract, he honors the one he has and gives 100 percent. Has nothing to do with position. Plenty of WR have the same trait, Ed McCaffery, Stever Largent. , Dwight Clark, Wes Welker even. Get were I am going.
Twentyvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #40
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,257 Times in 3,957 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Cook: Wallace's catch grabs attention

November 14, 2012
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Lost in the sobering injuries to Ben Roethlisberger and Ryan Clark, the timely interception by Lawrence Timmons in overtime and the Steelers' less-than-satisfying 16-13 win Monday night against the Kansas City Chiefs was their play of the year.

"You can't practice it," said one of the co-authors, Mike Wallace. "You can't script it."

It went down as a simple 7-yard touchdown pass from Roethlisberger to Wallace late in the second quarter, but there was so much more to it. The play went a long way toward saving the game and perhaps the season for the Steelers. Roethlisberger and Wallace are getting pretty good at that sort of thing, or at least they were before Roethlisberger left early in the third quarter with a potentially serious sprained right shoulder. A week earlier in a win against the New York Football Giants, the two combined on a 51-yard touchdown pass early in the fourth quarter to turn the game the Steelers' way.

That score against the Giants was all Wallace. He caught the ball on a short crossing pattern and used his incredible speed to outrun everyone across the field and up the left sideline. The touchdown against the Chiefs was a wondrous collaboration between Roethlisberger and Wallace. It took brilliance on both ends to make it work.

Roethlisberger froze Chiefs cornerback Brandon Flowers for just an instant with a pump fake, then threw a perfect lob pass to Wallace, who ran a fade pattern to the right corner of the end zone. Wallace -- fighting the lights, the wind, the rain and generally nasty conditions, not to mention Flowers' coverage -- dived and scooped the ball into his lap with his right hand. It settled between his thighs as he hit the ground.

"I knew it was a touchdown," Wallace said even after it took an officials review to confirm it. "When you play football every day for as long as I have, you know when the ball hits the ground. That ball didn't hit the ground."

The play pulled the Steelers into a 10-10 tie against the Chiefs, who came in to Heinz Field as 12 1/2-point underdogs with a 1-7 record. It was the sixth time this season that Roethlisberger and Wallace hooked up for a touchdown. They nearly hit on a 44-yard touchdown a few plays earlier, the ball grazing off an open Wallace's fingertips inside the Chiefs 5.

"Me being the caliber of receiver I am, I probably should have caught that one," Wallace said. "It would have been a nice catch. But if I'm the elite receiver I think I am, I need to catch that ball."

It will be a crying shame if Roethlisberger and Wallace don't get a chance to add to their touchdown total anytime soon.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin didn't rule Roethlisberger out for Sunday night's home game against the Baltimore Ravens, but you probably shouldn't hold your breath that Roethlisberger will play. Tomlin was more peevish and his answers more clipped and condescending than usual at his weekly news conference. It can't be easy looking at the games ahead without potentially having your franchise quarterback. The guess here is Tomlin will be thrilled if he has Roethlisberger back for the second Ravens game Dec. 2 in Baltimore.

That leaves Byron Leftwich as the next man up at quarterback.

Leftwich said there won't be any changes in the offense and Tomlin said he isn't sure any are needed. If anything, the Steelers might take a few more deep shots to Wallace. Leftwich has a big arm.

"He might throw the fastest ball in the league," Wallace said. "Did you see him overthrow me? I can't remember the last time that happened. I was disappointed in my legs after that play. I've got to talk to 'em when I go home. 'Legs, you've got to pick it up.' "

It was nice to hear Wallace giggle. If he's troubled by his tenuous contract situation, he isn't showing it. He held out during training camp in an attempt to get a long-term deal. When that failed, he reported late in the exhibition season and signed the Steelers' tender to play this season for $2,742,000.

"It's not as tough as you might think," Wallace said. "I love my teammates. I love playing with these guys.
They've rallied around me. They make it a lot easier for me."

Roethlisberger wasn't the only player who had to adjust to new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's quick-pass offense. Wallace had to do it, as well. He's just as much of a possession receiver now as he is a home-run hitter.

"Coach Haley likes to call short passes and set up for a deep one every once in a while," Wallace said. "I'm not going to fight it. I'm going with it."

The touchdowns help.

Remember when Tomlin called Wallace "a one-trick pony" early in his career, his way to motivate Wallace to become more than just a speed threat? Well, it worked. It took a special player to make that touchdown catch Monday night. A special receiver.

That was no one-trick pony.

"Please tell [Tomlin]. Please let him know," Wallace said, grinning.

That's so unnecessary.

Wallace knows that Tomlin knows that Wallace has become a big-time, all-around receiver.

Now if Leftwich can just keep getting him the ball ...

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2CJwZHJ4Z