Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 11-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #51
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default Re: Steelers release NT Alameda Ta'amu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

feels like people are trying to give the sermon on the mount up in here.
Take a step back, and think about this for a minute. What if Ta'amu was a Raider, or Bengals player, or, heaven forbid, a Ravens player?

You know damn well you guys would label him as a PoS and move on without thinking the Ravens are classy for trying to give him another chance. There was not too much of this sympathy back when Chris Henry offed himself in similarly stupid fashion.

Look, I don't post here much-- but I am not afraid to put all my cards on the table. I had my own issues with alcohol, and they were pretty bad. But I just don't see how you guys can write off what he did. That is no minor mistake-- he SHOULD do time for that crap.

I do not throw the word "stupid" easily. I don't judge these NFL players by my own standards as an intellectual or whatever. "Stupid" is when you have all the capabilities to know better, but choose not to.

I am not religious, but I do believe in redemption. I hated what Vick did, but after he served his time, he seems to have grown up and I salute him for it. Ta'amu has an unpaid debt to society now, and he should not be afforded the privilege of playing for an NFL team right now.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #52
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Quote:

point being, the steelers reserve the right to employ anyone they wish regardless of the moral highground their fans preach from.
But they do like to toot their own horn about being a "classy, family organization".

You cannot carry that mantle and have multiple felons that have not yet served time in your employ.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #53
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
I'll let it go this time cuz it gave me a WoodenDong™
I don't think too many will raise an objection to the visuals...
Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #54
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,936 Times in 4,636 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Nice curvature, but.....off topic.

yes, I could definitely get off on that topic.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #55
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
If you're drunk enough, it's hard telling exactly what you'll do.
True, within reasonable limits. This incident stretches those very badly.

If this were a Bengals player, you would not be so generous.

Quote:
Labeling him, or drunken drivers in general, a lowlife. It doesn't make any sense. Stupid? Sure! Thug? Hell no! He just needs to get back on the right track and away from alcohol.
Be honest-- he isn't just a drunk driver. He tried to run a bunch of cops over, and would have been shot dead if not in the crowded downtown area.

Again, picture him as playing for another team and gauge your reaction.

Quote:
His punishment is soon to come, but I believe the Rooney's did the right thing in allowing him to prove himself worthy of a roster spot (or a Practice Squad spot, in this case. He made a mistake. It IS forgivable if he gets back on track.
The only thing he has going for him in this, is that nobody actually did get seriously hurt.

Quote:
Don't you dare label me as the guy that ignores player character and pays attention to the play-making either. That's bullshit.
Nice, so you make a contentious claim, and then follow it up by saying I cannot retort.

You just got done telling me you have no problem with the Rooneys giving a multiple felon a chance at a roster spot (and presumably, best case scenario, a starting position), then you say it is BS to point out that you are willing to sacrifice moral fabric for playmaking?

Convenient.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #56
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,969 Times in 3,411 Posts

Quote:
Take a step back, and think about this for a minute. What if Ta'amu was a Raider, or Bengals player, or, heaven forbid, a Ravens player?

You know damn well you guys would label him as a PoS and move on without thinking the Ravens are classy for trying to give him another chance. There was not too much of this sympathy back when Chris Henry offed himself in similarly stupid fashion.

Look, I don't post here much-- but I am not afraid to put all my cards on the table. I had my own issues with alcohol, and they were pretty bad. But I just don't see how you guys can write off what he did. That is no minor mistake-- he SHOULD do time for that crap.

I do not throw the word "stupid" easily. I don't judge these NFL players by my own standards as an intellectual or whatever. "Stupid" is when you have all the capabilities to know better, but choose not to.

I am not religious, but I do believe in redemption. I hated what Vick did, but after he served his time, he seems to have grown up and I salute him for it. Ta'amu has an unpaid debt to society now, and he should not be afforded the privilege of playing for an NFL team right now.
i appreciate your candid response. people here were quite sympathetic when chris henry died. alameda should be afforded the same due process mike vick was and take the same trip down the criminal justice system that anyone would take.

your real issue here seems to be more with the rooneys and coach tomlin, than with the fans.

i choose to support the rooneys and coach tomlins judgement, and let the court system do the rest of the judging.

in the meantime, i will choose to pass my judgement on the officiating, and play i see on the field.

it is real life for alameda, and stuff he hass to deal with, but ultimately he is just a pawn in the game to me.

if he were on the raiders, ravens, bungles, i would clown his ass and talk shit.

naturally i talk more shit about ray lewis and tom brady than i do henry, vick, little, or stallworth. that has much more than the team they play for than the heinousness of their crimes (dont forget, tom has been convicted of wearing furry pink UGGZ boots)
Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #57
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Keep in mind, we released a team captain for kicking a towel dispenser off the wall.

But we kept a guy who went on a drunken rampage and tried to run a bunch of cops over.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #58
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
But they do like to toot their own horn about being a "classy, family organization".

You cannot carry that mantle and have multiple felons that have not yet served time in your employ.
Can you show me a link to where they "toot their own horn" about being a "classy family organization"?

Steelers try to employ motivated players that fit their system. They dont try and employ players who will be distractions to the locker room.....thats about it.

Didnt James Harrison break a cell phone on his girlfriends face? didnt they sign Najeh Davenport?? Just no Terrel Owens, Chad Johnsons and they jettisoned Holmes and let him divide the Jets locker room instead.

I think Dodens had it right that none of us can judge Ta'amu as a person as we dont know him. By all accounts he is a good member of the locker room. I for one am happy he is still with the team and if he is going to be trouble, he will be let go.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #59
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Keep in mind, we released a team captain for kicking a towel dispenser off the wall.
Not until he started shanking point blank FG attempts...
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #60
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Quote:
i appreciate your candid response. people here were quite sympathetic when chris henry died. alameda should be afforded the same due process mike vick was and take the same trip down the criminal justice system that anyone would take.

your real issue here seems to be more with the rooneys and coach tomlin, than with the fans.

i choose to support the rooneys and coach tomlins judgement, and let the court system do the rest of the judging.

in the meantime, i will choose to pass my judgement on the officiating, and play i see on the field.

it is real life for alameda, and stuff he hass to deal with, but ultimately he is just a pawn in the game to me.

if he were on the raiders, ravens, bungles, i would clown his ass and talk shit.

naturally i talk more shit about ray lewis and tom brady than i do henry, vick, little, or stallworth. that has much more than the team they play for than the heinousness of their crimes (dont forget, tom has been convicted of wearing furry pink UGGZ boots)
Fair enough, dude. I don't like this discussion at all-- I feel like I am being backed into a corner. Unfortunately, I have a take-no-prisoners mentality on most things and have trouble backing down, and this is what happens.

I try to take each case on an individual basis. After reading through all the discovery papers and documents, I honestly don't think Ben committed any crime. He excercised poor judgement in messing around with ****ty girls in clubs instead of going to Beverly Hills or something. But even still -- the team had to take a sour bite out of its reputation because of him.

I don't harass Ravens fans about Ray Lewis because I don't think he did anything.

Ta'amu effed up. BIG. I am all for him getting another chance, but he has a debt to society that needs paying first.

You are right, my problem is mostly with the Rooneys on this one. I guess I am a little bit disappointed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
VaDave (02-01-2013)