Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #31
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,851 Times in 928 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Make Transactions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Do you think Spence is the answer for us at MLB? I know he hasn't taken a meaningful snap in the NFL so dogging on him would be ridiculous, but when he played at Miami I wasn't that high on him. I was actually wondering why everyone seemed to be in love with this kid.

I guess I'll hold judgment on him until he plays his first NFL game. I just don't know if he's the answer at MLB, especially with guys like Nico Johnson, CJ Mosley and Arthur Brown available in this draft. If we're able to snag one - or more than one - of these guys, they've shown more potential and upside than Spence has. Anyway, this isn't a Sean Spence thread.

Guys were asking about McFadden and I honestly think he's pretty good. I know guys on here take preseason snaps with a grain of salt, and right fully so, but McFadden looked like he could produce. He didn't miss tackles and he made a couple behind the line that showed he has some good instincts and burst ability.

All that being said, he's just there as an extra body. I'd like for him to get special team reps, though, as his ability to tackle is something we're missing right now on special teams. Letting them start at the 25+ consistently is a little ridiculous.
First of all, the steelers dont have a MLB, they have 2 ILB's. I think that Timmons moves over to strongside ILB and Spence will play the weakside backer when healthy.

Foote, IMO is mediocre at best in this point of his career. Accepting mediocrity is admitting defeat. Leave the acceptance of mediocrity to Bengals fans.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #32
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
as strong as ramon foster has been playing, i would say the injury to spence was more significant than that of decastro.

other than maybe due to trades, i cant think of any other team that has seen 3 of its top 4 pick's seasons pissed down the tubes like ours.

i didnt think spence would win defensive rookie of the year, but i felt he would be the rookie to have the biggest impact in his innaugural season, since kendrell bell.
I dont think that Spence would have been that impactful, but we will never know. Just as Will Allen replaced Mundy in the Secondary, I think that Spence could have been an option that Keith Butler explored by mid season when he saw Larry foote getting put on skates by O linemen.

At the very least Spence would have been a hungry kid that pushed Foote to be better or move aside and let somebody play with the intensity that Foote now lacks.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #33
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,528 Times in 4,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
First of all, the steelers dont have a MLB, they have 2 ILB's. I think that Timmons moves over to strongside ILB and Spence will play the weakside backer when healthy.

Foote, IMO is mediocre at best in this point of his career. Accepting mediocrity is admitting defeat. Leave the acceptance of mediocrity to Bengals fans.
Again, I'm not going to criticize a kid that hasn't had any legitimate snaps in the NFL. I will say, though, if we have an opportunity to upgrade at ILB with a high draft pick we should absolutely do it.

edit - I realize the way I said that was confusing. It's late, cut me some slack. Plain and simple, if the Steelers are in a position to draft the right guy - should he fall to them in the first or second round - they absolutely have to pull the trigger.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #34
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,331 Times in 4,413 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Again, I'm not going to criticize a kid that hasn't had any legitimate snaps in the NFL. I will say, though, if we have an opportunity to upgrade at ILB with a high draft pick we should absolutely do it.

edit - I realize the way I said that was confusing. It's late, cut me some slack. Plain and simple, if the Steelers are in a position to draft the right guy - should he fall to them in the first or second round - they absolutely have to pull the trigger.
I agree with you, there are going to be some very good ILB prospects in this draft and I'm sure if there's one available that the Steelers like in the first 3 rounds we won't hesitate to upgrade the position.

ILBers Manti Te'o, C J Mosley, Alec Ogletree, Kevin Minter, Shayne Skov, Michael Mauti, Arthur Brown, Kevin Reddick and Nico Johnson would all look really good in Black & Gold...
Old 11-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #35
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:

I think they HAVE to pull the trigger on the best pass rushing OLB they can find. (Harrison is beat up, Worilds and Carter are not a #1 guy)

I think they HAVE to pull the trigger on a Safety prospect that is better than Will Allen or Ryan Mundy. Clark and Polamalu dont have much longer to play in the NFL.

I think they SHOULD HAVE kept Kraig Urbik and SHOULD Have drafted an ILB instead of Jason Worilds. I think Sean Lee, Pat Angerer and Brandon Spikes were all there at the time. The more we waste top picks, the more has to be made up in years after.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #36
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,528 Times in 4,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I think they HAVE to pull the trigger on the best pass rushing OLB they can find. (Harrison is beat up, Worilds and Carter are not a #1 guy)

I think they HAVE to pull the trigger on a Safety prospect that is better than Will Allen or Ryan Mundy. Clark and Polamalu dont have much longer to play in the NFL.
I completely agree with you. That's why in this draft I was so high on guys like Dion Jordan and Alex Okafor, but they're preforming so well that I very much doubt they'll be on the board when we pick unless a complete and utter meltdown of this team happens.

I'm also 100% with you on a safety prospect, maybe even a couple. That's why I'm looking at the Steelers and thinking we could draft guys like CJ Mosley, Nico Johnson and Bacarri Rambo in the first three rounds and it would legitimately give the Steelers the number one defense in the NFL again - with three rookies. We're not far off from being truly dominate again, just need a couple pieces and I think these guys would fit the bill. This would also eliminate a lot of our current cap issues by getting rid of guys like Harrison, Mundy, Foote and Carter. Shedding these guys and making our line look like ...

Mosley / ROLB - Johnson + Timmons / ILB - Woodley / LOLB

... is the best LB core in the NFL. Putting Rambo behind Clark and Troy for a year and act as a sponge would be best case scenario. These are the kind of transactions I'd love to see!
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #37
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

I see Cory Lemonier from Auburn being the heir to Harrison's spot. Arthur Brown is another intriguing fit, but if the Steelers think that Timmons and Spence are the future of the ILB spots, then not sure if a premium pick on an ILB is warranted.

Eric Reid, Robert Lester and Rambo still interest me. Many scouts are dropping grades on Reid and Lester, but I think one of them would help out.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #38
JWashington
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
back to the topic

South Carolina State??

who ever heard of such a place?

I bet they have tin roof pool hall bars back there
Ever heard of Harry Carson, Donny Shell, Robert Porcher?? It's a pretty good school, Div 1-AA. They've had a good football program for a longtime. While stationed at Dover AFB, I got to see them play Deleware State a couple of times. I wouldn't doubt the kid based on where he played. No one ever thought we'd start a RB out of Bowie State
JWashington is offline   Reply With Quote