Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #21
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,072 Posts
Default Re: Larry Foote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeBetties63 View Post
You're hilarious....you are trying to make the argument with exact opposite claims.
What claims?? Watch the video link and you see Foote over run the play. He doesnt keep his shoulders square to the line of scrimmage and instead gives Chiefs Center Ryan Lilja his back to push him completely out of the play.

Play some ILB. Coach some ILB, or just watch some ex coaches or players describe how you play ILB on the NFL Network, but please try and learn how the position is to be played before you start praising Foote as the best ILB we have.

You will see that Larry Foote is playing some lackluster and sloppy Inside Linebacker.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #22
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain

Member Number: 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
What claims?? Watch the video link and you see Foote over run the play. He doesnt keep his shoulders square to the line of scrimmage and instead gives Chiefs Center Ryan Lilja his back to push him completely out of the play.

Play some ILB. Coach some ILB, or just watch some ex coaches or players describe how you play ILB on the NFL Network, but please try and learn how the position is to be played before you start praising Foote as the best ILB we have.

You will see that Larry Foote is playing some lackluster and sloppy Inside Linebacker.
First he plugs the hole and you say he should have gone outside, then he goes outside and you say he should have plugged the hole. Coaching your college sorority sister power puff team doesn't count. I said the guy has become a leader and is one , ONE key, not the only key, not the best guy ever, just one key to the Steeler D. And he is. Plus, the people in here who act like achieving absolute perfection in the NFL year after year is possible. Wake up. This team is 6-3...there are a whole pile of teams worse. They will be in the play-offs, even if Ben doesn't make it back soon. They might even make a run at the title. It doesn't take Mr. Forum Experts Perfect Coaching and Team to win a Super Bowl in the NFL.

You did argue both ways and you were wrong. The man is playing pretty decent football and has provided a spark for this team.
JeromeBetties63 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeromeBetties63 For This Useful Post:
Colorado Steel (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #23
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeBetties63 View Post
First he plugs the hole and you say he should have gone outside, then he goes outside and you say he should have plugged the hole. Coaching your college sorority sister power puff team doesn't count. I said the guy has become a leader and is one , ONE key, not the only key, not the best guy ever, just one key to the Steeler D. And he is. Plus, the people in here who act like achieving absolute perfection in the NFL year after year is possible. Wake up. This team is 6-3...there are a whole pile of teams worse. They will be in the play-offs, even if Ben doesn't make it back soon. They might even make a run at the title. It doesn't take Mr. Forum Experts Perfect Coaching and Team to win a Super Bowl in the NFL.

You did argue both ways and you were wrong. The man is playing pretty decent football and has provided a spark for this team.
You say he plugged a hole, but if you know anything about the game you should know that ILB's are supposed to make tackles and not plug holes.

You think he is the 2nd coming of Mike Merriweather, I think he is past his prime. The fun part is we can watch and see if he is even starting next season for the Steelers or anywhere in the NFL................I bet he isnt.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #24
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain

Quote:
You say he plugged a hole, but if you know anything about the game you should know that ILB's are supposed to make tackles and not plug holes.

You think he is the 2nd coming of Mike Merriweather, I think he is past his prime. The fun part is we can watch and see if he is even starting next season for the Steelers or anywhere in the NFL................I bet he isnt.
Actually, when stringing out a play, he is supposed to fill gaps, especially when the run went to the opposite side. You can dance on one of our players grave if you want, I choose to celebrate his success. And, as I said, he leads the number one defense in the NFL in tackles so it seems like he is doing what he is supposed to do...but according Chuck Noll here, he sucks. If only you were our D coordinator...
Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #25
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,039 Times in 1,783 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Foote isn't supposed to fill gaps? He's an inside linebacker, of COURSE he's supposed to fill gaps! That's common knowledge in the game of football. The inside guys fill gaps and outside guys and safeties prevent runs from breaking outside for a big gainer. Sure, Foote misses possible tackles and takes bad angles on occasion, but he's doing his job AND some. Getting sacks, picks and forcing fumbles. He leads the team in tackles for good measure and he's 32 years old. He may be past his prime, but he's doing pretty damn good.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bayz101 For This Useful Post:
JeromeBetties63 (11-16-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #26
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Foote isn't supposed to fill gaps? He's an inside linebacker, of COURSE he's supposed to fill gaps! That's common knowledge in the game of football. The inside guys fill gaps and outside guys and safeties prevent runs from breaking outside for a big gainer. Sure, Foote misses possible tackles and takes bad angles on occasion, but he's doing his job AND some. Getting sacks, picks and forcing fumbles. He leads the team in tackles for good measure and he's 32 years old. He may be past his prime, but he's doing pretty damn good.
You guys say that Foote filled a gap in that play. You are dillusional if you think that is what he did. He took the wrong angle and let the play get outside by him.

If anybody still has the game on their DVR, go back and watch it again. The first 2 series you will see Foote just get manhandled by Jon Asomuoa, Ryan Lilja and the rest of KC offense. I'll watch the rest, but all is see is #50 being out of positon and getting pushed around.

Have a look at this TD by the Chiefs and how great #50 is on it. He doesnt even see the RB. I guess he is too busy "filling a gap" away from the play.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...arles-12-yd-TD
Old 11-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #27
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,039 Times in 1,783 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
You guys say that Foote filled a gap in that play. You are dillusional if you think that is what he did. He took the wrong angle and let the play get outside by him.

If anybody still has the game on their DVR, go back and watch it again. The first 2 series you will see Foote just get manhandled by Jon Asomuoa, Ryan Lilja and the rest of KC offense. I'll watch the rest, but all is see is #50 being out of positon and getting pushed around.

Have a look at this TD by the Chiefs and how great #50 is on it. He doesnt even see the RB. I guess he is too busy "filling a gap" away from the play.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...arles-12-yd-TD
I wasn't referring to any "one" play. No linebacker is perfect, certainly not a 32 year old career backup, but he IS leading the defense right now in tackles, with fumbles, sacks and a pick to spare. An inside linebakers job is to fill the running lanes in the middle, and to blitz or drop back on passing plays. Looks to me like Lamarr Woodley was getting manhandled on a lot of these plays i'm seeing, too.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #28
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
I wasn't referring to any "one" play. No linebacker is perfect, certainly not a 32 year old career backup, but he IS leading the defense right now in tackles, with fumbles, sacks and a pick to spare. An inside linebakers job is to fill the running lanes in the middle, and to blitz or drop back on passing plays. Looks to me like Lamarr Woodley was getting manhandled on a lot of these plays i'm seeing, too.
I watched the entire KC game again on the DVR....watching Foote especially and he made 2 plays the whole game:

-he tackled Cassell for a 7 yard gain on a QB scramble
-Foote tackled Tony Moeaki (tagged him when he fell down) after a 1st down reception

Other than that Foote was physically outmatched by the KC O linemen and TE's in the run game. He ran around the play, took poor angles and avoided any type of blockprotection with a forearm shiver to try and stuff interior run plays.

Its not just 1 play, but the entire game that he really didnt do much of anything to stop the KC offense. Congrats, we have a mediocre ILB that Jon Gruden pimped in the pre game and a number of fans think he is great. The tape doesnt lie.....watch the game again.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #29
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,365 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post

i'd blame this one on woodley. he should have inside containment. if he penetrates further into the backfield instead of trying to hold his ground, he forces charles inside , #26 drops him for a loss.
Woodley's job in this alignment is to shield off outside containment and force the play to the inside. That's an outside linebackers sole purpose and advantage in playing run-d, to seal the edge. If you look closely, it's Woodley's play to make and Foote would of been in perfect position to make the tackle if Woodley wins the battle on the outside. Wood simply got tad hooked at the last split second, enough for Hillis, an inside runner, to bounce to the outside.

This was more on Woodley than it was Foote. Foote got lost in traffic but it wasn't his outside pursuit to make. Should of been forced to him and if it was, Foote would of been assistance on the tackle.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #30
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain

Quote:
I watched the entire KC game again on the DVR....watching Foote especially and he made 2 plays the whole game:

-he tackled Cassell for a 7 yard gain on a QB scramble
-Foote tackled Tony Moeaki (tagged him when he fell down) after a 1st down reception

Other than that Foote was physically outmatched by the KC O linemen and TE's in the run game. He ran around the play, took poor angles and avoided any type of blockprotection with a forearm shiver to try and stuff interior run plays.

Its not just 1 play, but the entire game that he really didnt do much of anything to stop the KC offense. Congrats, we have a mediocre ILB that Jon Gruden pimped in the pre game and a number of fans think he is great. The tape doesnt lie.....watch the game again.
I have no idea what Jon Gruden said....what I do know is that the two examples you have cited...you were wrong on both, so I can safely assume your analysis of the rest of the game is wrong.