Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 7,156 Times in 3,093 Posts
Default Key Things to Take Note of at 6-4

We all need to take a collective breath and settle down. Every time we take a loss, the same threads come rolling around ...

Mike Tomlin Sucks! Fire him!

Mike Wallace is terrible! Cut him!

... and I think to myself, what? I understand frustration guys, I really do. Losing to the Ravens is never easy and always takes a toll. I mean, they're the fucking Ravens - who wants to lose to those pricks? But misplacing the blame and making ridiculous threads about who to fire and who to cut are just that - ridiculous. As a unit, this team is good. By good, I mean very good. Show me another team in the league built to be 6-4 after losing 3 pro bowlers, including the franchise quarterback and (arguably) the number one wide receiver. Couple that with the defensive captain and perennial play-maker on defense, and everyone thought this year would be terrible. Instead, overcoming adversity is what the Steelers do and once again they've shown it.

Our Defense is a Top Unit

Our defense is scary good right now. Torrey Smith had one catch for 7 yards. AJ Green had one catch for 8 yards - these are considered to be among the best wide receivers in the AFC, and they were non-factors. The way our secondary is working right now, I don't think there's a quarterback in the NFL who could succeed, they're just talented from top to bottom.

Early on in the year, we were calling for LeBeau to be fired and a new defensive scheme to be brought in. I'll admit, I was guilty of this too. Then, good ol' Dick proved once again why he's a defensive genius and the defense started to play lights out football. The secondary is number one in the league without Polamalu playing. I don't think that point can be stressed enough and instead, needs to have bells and whistles playing every time it gets mentioned. The mantra of next-man-up is a good one to have, but you can't replace guys like Troy. Will Allen stepped his game up and Ryan Clark is showing why he's probably the most underrated defensive player in the entire NFL. This unit isn't number one by "smoke and mirrors" (as people in this thread have tried to point out) or luck, they're just talented. Holding the Ravens to 3 points (excluding the turnover) after they put up 55 points and holding Ray Rice to 40 yards on 20 carries.

Mike Tomlin is a Top 3 Coach

We have an elite coach. By elite, I mean top 3. I only say top 3 because there's an argument to be made that Coughlin and Belichick are better coaches, but I wouldn't take either of them over Tomlin right now. You can criticize his "poor game management" or being too buddy-buddy with his players, but the simple fact of the matter is: he's been to two Super Bowls and won once. I'm not going to compare ex and current coaches which seems to be popular on this site. Tomlin is an excellent motivator, and the guys simply want to play for him. They're buying what he is selling, and it's working. I won't get into his winning % and how fast he got to 'x' amount of wins, because that isn't important. They're winning right now, and winning starts with the coaching staff.

This Offense Starts and Ends With Ben

It became painfully clear last night what Ben means to this team. This offense starts and ends, lives and dies, with Ben at the helm. If there was ever a case to be made for Ben being MVP, it was last night. Roethlisberger doesn't play pretty or put up flashy stats, but he knows how to win games and without him running the two minute drill last night, we didn't have a shot. I'll keep this short and sweet because we all know what he means to this team, but with 7 behind center, we always have a chance to win games.

The Mike Wallace Hate Needs to Stop

In the "official Mike Wallace sucks thread", Wallace is getting blamed for drops and fumbles, which ultimately led to our loss. Granted, he fumbled and it led to 3 points, but he's also our top wide receiver and our scheme isn't letting him play properly. I've used this in another thread but I think it's appropriate here: not letting Mike Wallace go deep and make plays on the ball is like having a Lamborghini and driving the speed limit with your hands at 10 and 2 - incorrectly. There's not a CB that can take him one-on-one in the entire NFL if Mikey decides it's time to go deep. He absolutely has weaknesses, like his inability to fight off double coverage and still make the "big catch", but he's still the top threat on this offense.

Also, he fumbled - it happens. Do you remember when Dwyer fumbled and it led to points against the Raiders? Where was the hate there? Where was the "official Jonathan Dwyer sucks thread"? There wasn't one. Why? Dwyer isn't being used as a scapegoat for the offense and Wallace is. He held out of training camp and it looks like a lot of us are still bitter about it, but it's time to move on. I won't get into why he held out or whether or not it was the right thing to do, but we're past the midpoint of the season and we need to look forward, not back. If we're going to criticize Wallace make it with valid points and complaints, not this bullshit of his attitude. I am a firm believer that Mikey is the future of this team and other teams are recognizing his talent level which is why he is commanding double teams on almost every play. He's our top receiver, let's not turn our back on him now.

Overall - We Have a Great Team

When this team gets healthy and we have Roethlisberger back - we're going to be a team that no one wants to play in December. With the way our defense has been playing and Woodley and Harrison are finally starting to get things going - this is a team that is built for a Super Bowl run. I'm confident and optimistic at this teams chances to bring home a title, but that title starts with getting Ben back.

On to Cleveland.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
SH-Rock (11-23-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897
Default Re: Key Things to Take Note of at 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post

In the "official Mike Wallace sucks thread", Wallace is getting blamed for drops and fumbles, which ultimately led to our loss. Granted, he fumbled and it led to 3 points, but he's also our top wide receiver and our scheme isn't letting him play properly.
I'm with you, except for this. He's not our top receiver. If he was, the scheme would already fit him. We threw deep to him a few times this year only to see him drop a ball that hit him in the hands. The scheme didn't cause that. He's a solid #2 situational receiver. Brown is our #1, and will be for years to come.

Brown was our #1 before we went to the current scheme, and he is our #1 after. We don't need to change our offense around to make sure everyone points to him as being a star. Wallace wants the offense to be changed to revolve around making him a star, because he can't do it otherwise. See the difference here?
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I agree with the OP on nearly everything. I do not hate on MW, he is hurting his team with some lackluster effort and he is hurting his chance at a big payday. Just maybe we can get him back at a more reasonable signing offer than we thought originally. I still think he has the talent and without dreams of other teams big contract out there he can perhaps put his efforts more to the field.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricco Suavez For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (11-23-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
DoctorCAD
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10385

Agree on all but Wallace. He does suck and should not be re-signed next season. Trade him for a six-pack and a Subway sandwich, That's about all he is worth right now.

But that's only my OPINION.
DoctorCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

i agree - Tomlin is one of the best, if not the best coach in the NFL. Its absurd the things you hear about him around here. Most decisions he makes are for the best - then when something doesn't work out, people come out of the woodwork to be "backseat drivers".

On Wallace - i'm not sure i'd say it's "hate" on Wallace.
I just think most with any intelligence realize he's NOT one of the league's elite receivers (hell, he's not even our best receiver - thats easily Brown).
Critical drops, obvious loafing at points, some all-around cockiness, and a demand for a big, make that huge, payday, have all rubbed people the wrong way.
We know he's good. At times even 'very' good. But thats what he is - very good - not great.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261

I don't hate Mike Wallace. But I think it's becoming quite obvious he's isn't our best WR, and thus, not worth the money.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,591 Times in 1,969 Posts

1. Yes - Although I wish they could have gotten it together sooner this year, they are gelling rather nicely.
2. Yes - No complaints here
3. Yes - No argument here, without #7 we aren't winning #7
4. NO. Wallace deserves all the criticism he's getting by asking for an outrageous amount of money that he isn't worth. He is NOT our #1 and will never be until he starts working harder than our #1 WR (Brown)
5. Yes - With Ben healthy, we have all the pieces of a championship team. I'm not worried if he can be back at least 90% and we can lock a wildcard berth.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,394 Times in 1,122 Posts

Yeah, gotta agree on the general Wallace tone as well. I'm not one to jump on a fire so and so bandwagon...but he's rarely shown the kind of talent that we all know he's capable of. The only real reason it could be is he's pissed about the contract, cause we all know he's better than what he's showing. Prima donna's are not looked upon kindly by the Steelers, or their fans. We've got plenty of other talent at WR, that he can just take his act out the door.

I'm with you on all other points though.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 7,156 Times in 3,093 Posts

I like that one of our biggest problems right now on offense is which pro bowl receiver is better than the other. While I do maintain it's Wallace, I can certainly see the other side of that debate. I don't know that Wallace has fully adjusted to the playbook yet which can be credited to sitting out training camp. I do think, however, that the "one-trick pony" debate has been laid to bed. He might not be playing up to his potential right now, but I think that can be fixed after a year under Haley's system.

Getting back to defense, did you guys see the way Heyward played last night? If that's what we're going to see from him long-term, we're in good shape on our DLine.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
steelbelieve
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21191

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
We all need to take a collective breath and settle down. Every time we take a loss, the same threads come rolling around ...

Mike Tomlin Sucks! Fire him!

Mike Wallace is terrible! Cut him!

... and I think to myself, what? I understand frustration guys, I really do. Losing to the Ravens is never easy and always takes a toll. I mean, they're the fucking Ravens - who wants to lose to those pricks? But misplacing the blame and making ridiculous threads about who to fire and who to cut are just that - ridiculous. As a unit, this team is good. By good, I mean very good. Show me another team in the league built to be 6-4 after losing 3 pro bowlers, including the franchise quarterback and (arguably) the number one wide receiver. Couple that with the defensive captain and perennial play-maker on defense, and everyone thought this year would be terrible. Instead, overcoming adversity is what the Steelers do and once again they've shown it.

Our Defense is a Top Unit

Our defense is scary good right now. Torrey Smith had one catch for 7 yards. AJ Green had one catch for 8 yards - these are considered to be among the best wide receivers in the AFC, and they were non-factors. The way our secondary is working right now, I don't think there's a quarterback in the NFL who could succeed, they're just talented from top to bottom.

Early on in the year, we were calling for LeBeau to be fired and a new defensive scheme to be brought in. I'll admit, I was guilty of this too. Then, good ol' Dick proved once again why he's a defensive genius and the defense started to play lights out football. The secondary is number one in the league without Polamalu playing. I don't think that point can be stressed enough and instead, needs to have bells and whistles playing every time it gets mentioned. The mantra of next-man-up is a good one to have, but you can't replace guys like Troy. Will Allen stepped his game up and Ryan Clark is showing why he's probably the most underrated defensive player in the entire NFL. This unit isn't number one by "smoke and mirrors" (as people in this thread have tried to point out) or luck, they're just talented. Holding the Ravens to 3 points (excluding the turnover) after they put up 55 points and holding Ray Rice to 40 yards on 20 carries.

Mike Tomlin is a Top 3 Coach

We have an elite coach. By elite, I mean top 3. I only say top 3 because there's an argument to be made that Coughlin and Belichick are better coaches, but I wouldn't take either of them over Tomlin right now. You can criticize his "poor game management" or being too buddy-buddy with his players, but the simple fact of the matter is: he's been to two Super Bowls and won once. I'm not going to compare ex and current coaches which seems to be popular on this site. Tomlin is an excellent motivator, and the guys simply want to play for him. They're buying what he is selling, and it's working. I won't get into his winning % and how fast he got to 'x' amount of wins, because that isn't important. They're winning right now, and winning starts with the coaching staff.

This Offense Starts and Ends With Ben

It became painfully clear last night what Ben means to this team. This offense starts and ends, lives and dies, with Ben at the helm. If there was ever a case to be made for Ben being MVP, it was last night. Roethlisberger doesn't play pretty or put up flashy stats, but he knows how to win games and without him running the two minute drill last night, we didn't have a shot. I'll keep this short and sweet because we all know what he means to this team, but with 7 behind center, we always have a chance to win games.

In the "official Mike Wallace sucks thread", Wallace is getting blamed for drops and fumbles, which ultimately led to our loss. Granted, he fumbled and it led to 3 points, but he's also our top wide receiver and our scheme isn't letting him play properly. I've used this in another thread but I think it's appropriate here: not letting Mike Wallace go deep and make plays on the ball is like having a Lamborghini and driving the speed limit with your hands at 10 and 2 - incorrectly. There's not a CB that can take him one-on-one in the entire NFL if Mikey decides it's time to go deep. He absolutely has weaknesses, like his inability to fight off double coverage and still make the "big catch", but he's still the top threat on this offense.

Also, he fumbled - it happens. Do you remember when Dwyer fumbled and it led to points against the Raiders? Where was the hate there? Where was the "official Jonathan Dwyer sucks thread"? There wasn't one. Why? Dwyer isn't being used as a scapegoat for the offense and Wallace is. He held out of training camp and it looks like a lot of us are still bitter about it, but it's time to move on. I won't get into why he held out or whether or not it was the right thing to do, but we're past the midpoint of the season and we need to look forward, not back. If we're going to criticize Wallace make it with valid points and complaints, not this bullshit of his attitude. I am a firm believer that Mikey is the future of this team and other teams are recognizing his talent level which is why he is commanding double teams on almost every play. He's our top receiver, let's not turn our back on him now.

Overall - We Have a Great Team

When this team gets healthy and we have Roethlisberger back - we're going to be a team that no one wants to play in December. With the way our defense has been playing and Woodley and Harrison are finally starting to get things going - this is a team that is built for a Super Bowl run. I'm confident and optimistic at this teams chances to bring home a title, but that title starts with getting Ben back.

On to Cleveland.
You had me at hello, and right up to the point you starting commenting on Wallace. Sorry, he gave a half-arsed effort the other night that was deplorable considering the importance of the game. I guarantee you his teammates saw it on film. Still, like your attitude, stay positive!
steelbelieve is offline   Reply With Quote