Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #81
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Indeed. They gave up 200 net yards to an ultra-elite Ravens offense, and 6 points (three after a Leftwich INT). However, I'm leaving this thread active so it can act as a painful reminder to all of us ever hypercritical, impatient and ungrateful Steeler fans.

Friends don't let friends drink and post.
Whoa there cowboy. Slow down. It's a well-known fact the Ravens offense is completely different on the road rather than when they're at home.

That being said, the defense kept the Steelers in the game all night. Unfortunately, the defense seems unable to create turnovers. I know you all hate hearing it, but this defense needs to start giving the offense a shorter field.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #82
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,011 Times in 4,559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Indeed. They gave up 200 net yards to an ultra-elite Ravens offense, and 6 points (three after a Leftwich INT). However, I'm leaving this thread active so it can act as a painful reminder to all of us ever hypercritical, impatient and ungrateful Steeler fans.

yep... we completely shut down a top 10 offense but the same bitchy steelerfans will still make up some weak assed excuse for that, rather than eat crow.

looks like RGIII is back to throwing for 300 yds and 4 tds, but that was against the eagles lame 7th round draft pic, vet minimum, cb's.

the same bitchy steelerfans probably think asomugha is an elite shut down cb in oakland who we should sign as the replacemnt for sucky ike taylor (who like 95% of ALL OTHER cb's in the league gets a little safety help in shutting down the opponents best wr.)
Old 11-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #83
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

The Giants game and this Ravens game reminded me of '08....that's saying a lot. Even with Leftwich we should have won that game and I'm not convinced we won't win the next 3 with Batch. When a top offense can only score 6 points on you, you'll win with almost any QB.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #84
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,716 Times in 4,783 Posts

Troy who?

Kidding - for the most part.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:20 AM   #85
ggoldman
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14758

Just think, when Troy comes back, this D will get even better and the turnovers will come
ggoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #86
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

I've been in the camp that the #1 ranking may be a tad high. However, what I'm seeing now is changing my mind. A win against Brady &/or Manning is all that is left to prove.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #87
lipps83
Head Coach

Member Number: 17725

While the defense played excellent on Sunday I still stand by my statement that the defense maintained a #1 ranking in yardage for the most part due to the TOP of the offense. We were playing ball control through the air. They seem to be turning it around on defense but it is going to take a game against a top QB to convince me they are even close to being an elite defense.

They are #1 only in total defense and passing defense. They are in the bottom half of the league in sacks, and next to dead last in turnovers. They are sacrificing putting pressure on the QB to make mistakes to drop more into coverage and stop the pass.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #88
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

I agree that the Defense is playing good ball. Probably overachieving. All you have to do is look at the players position by position to know this is far from being one of our " better " lineups.

I am super happy with the way the guys are playing, Lebeau needs to be given lots of credit with what he is doing with this caliber of players!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #89
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Did anyone watch the first few Thanksgiving Day games? Our pass D is only number one because we haven't had to play any elite QBs like GRIII.

Oh, wait...
Old 11-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #90
Twentyvalve
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18796

I don't like the that time of possession argument. The opposing team gets the ball back right after a score. They can do with it what they will. If they go 3 and out, guess what, our D has stopped them. The other team gets the ball just as many times as our team. Our D stops them. Hence, our ranking.

The argument that we hold the ball more during the game just says the offense is just as good as the D that stops them on the next possession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
While the defense played excellent on Sunday I still stand by my statement that the defense maintained a #1 ranking in yardage for the most part due to the TOP of the offense. We were playing ball control through the air. They seem to be turning it around on defense but it is going to take a game against a top QB to convince me they are even close to being an elite defense.

They are #1 only in total defense and passing defense. They are in the bottom half of the league in sacks, and next to dead last in turnovers. They are sacrificing putting pressure on the QB to make mistakes to drop more into coverage and stop the pass.
Twentyvalve is offline   Reply With Quote