Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 11-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #101
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I'll repeat what's becoming my mantra on this forum: Stats aren't everything, and they can be deceiving... but not at the end of the season, and certainly not after eight seasons. When Dick Lebeau has consistently fielded top-3 defenses for almost a decade and people still question his unit's statistical ranking, then it's just some perverse masochism on the part of Steeler fans.
Well, after a loss at Denver in the Wild Card round last year against the supposed number 1 ranked defense, more fans are likely to question a #1 ranking the next time around. And while I'm repeating what I guess is my mantra about the lack of turnovers produced, there may be some fear that this defense could be like last year's all over again.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #102
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

If anything, the offense has been under-performing, as was the case last week. But it doesn't matter, because after losses Steeler fans start questioning Lebeau, his age, his unit's ranking, the lack of this or that...
Old 11-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #103
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
If anything, the offense has been under-performing, as was the case last week. But it doesn't matter, because after losses Steeler fans start questioning Lebeau, his age, his unit's ranking, the lack of this or that...
When a defense (or special teams) hardly gives it's offense a short field (especially on a night when it really needed it), that offense probably won't rank as highly in scoring. This is why I keep bringing up the lack of turnovers. Many of you seem to tip-toe around that particular issue.

If the offense has to march 80 yards down the field all the time, do you expect them to be higher in scoring than 17th?
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #104
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
When a defense (or special teams) hardly gives it's offense a short field (especially on a night when it really needed it), that offense probably won't rank as highly in scoring. This is why I keep bringing up the lack of turnovers. Many of you seem to tip-toe around that particular issue.

If the offense has to march 80 yards down the field all the time, do you expect them to be higher in scoring than 17th?
An offense with Ben Roethlisberger, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Heath Miller, Maurkice Pouncey, Rashard Mendenhall and other studs should do better than 17th in scoring, yes. Absolutely. That's not controversial, it's fact.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #105
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

What does this defense have to do?? Yes there is a lack of turnovers by the D. But where the hell is our return game? Same ol same ol on here, lose a game blame the D. IN todays NFL if the offense can't muster more than 13 stinking points at home even with Byron at QB then the loss is squarely on the O. With a helping from the ST.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick5895 For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (11-23-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #106
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,644 Times in 3,927 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:

I partly agree with what your saying about turnovers. But I think it's more important to win the turnover ratio and get good field position than to worry about getting lots of turnovers. In this case I'd blame the offense more than the D.

Due to turnovers (giving and taking) or bad special teams this team has trouble winning the field position battle (again, I'd blame the offense more than the D). In this day of big yard, big pass football, I don't think the Defense can be asked to consistently give the offense a short field.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #107
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,645 Times in 8,937 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:

The defense gave up 3 points!!!

And you're blaming the defense!?! Come on, man.

[Note: 7 points came from ST. 3 points came of a Wallace fumble in the red-zone.]
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #108
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

If you really look at the personnel on this Defense one by one, it is not that great ( injuries hurt ) Lebeau should be Defensive Coach of the year!
harrison'samonster (11-23-2012), teegre (11-23-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #109
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,645 Times in 8,937 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
If you really look at the personnel on this Defense one by one, it is not that great ( injuries hurt ) Lebeau should be Defensive Coach of the year!
I agree. He has no playmakers... it is just rock-solid "team" defense.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #110
jtbsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 18760

I expect this defense to hit another gear in the next three weeks.
jtbsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote