Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #21
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Key Things to Take Note of at 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
I think AB is well on his way to being great. I think he'll end up like Hines, where he has a collection of pro bowl seasons, probably a SB MVP - but won't have the monster stats or recognition because he is a Steeler receiver. However, I think once all is said and done, AB's collection of just "good seasons" will be enough to get him to HOF - a lot of time left to see where it goes with him though lol

A couple of different times this season after a drop, and then the recent fumble - Wallace was found to be actually smiling. The guy has "release me" written all over him. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell that he doesn't "get" being a Steeler. Funny thing is - Jerry Jones and Snyder have actually caught up in personnel philosophy a little - and are running out of patience with their overpaid personnel. Wallace might go just to go, even knowing there might not even be anyone out there willing to pay him. Hell, the Steelers might have already made up their mind on him. 10 games in, he sure seems like a lame duck to me.
Wow, you really like this guy. I hope you are right! This 400 yard year to date with 1 td makes me wonder.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #22
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,952 Times in 3,702 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

it's taken me a while, but I've come around to trusting and anticipating clutch plays by AB. I think he's already there, I just don't think he'll ever put up big numbers (much like Ward).
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #23
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Overall - We Have a Great Team

When this team gets healthy and we have Roethlisberger back - we're going to be a team that no one wants to play in December. With the way our defense has been playing and Woodley and Harrison are finally starting to get things going - this is a team that is built for a Super Bowl run. I'm confident and optimistic at this teams chances to bring home a title, but that title starts with getting Ben back.

This is one I can agree with.

The 2012 Steelers had their obvious hiccups (Oakland, Tennessee), but looking at their body of work, this has the look of a really dangerous team come the stretch, that is provided they get healthy and of course get Ben and Antonio Brown back. The Last Two Super Bowl Champions (2010 Packers, 2011 Giants), simply put got hot at the right time and rolled through the postseason. This team can do it. All of the Steelers' losses this year were in very close games. They took Denver in their own place down to the wire and they had to seal it with a pick 6.

The 2011 team I didn't get the same vibe from. In their losses to playoff opponents, they weren't close. Baltimore, Houston, and San Francisco clearly outmatched the Steelers. Two of those teams advanced to their respective conference title games. The 2011 team had one solid game against New England, and it wasn't that impressive. The 2011 Steelers finished 12-4, but they weren't exactly a 12-4 team. When they got to the postseason, it shouldn't have been a surprise they got Tebowed, when they were Flacco'd twice as Baltimore's O went buck wild on them. Shutting down the Ravens Monday despite losing tells me where this team is on the AFC Food Chain. This team can hang with anyone.

If (and that's a big if) everything falls into place, this team will make a run.

Last edited by Edman; 11-23-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #24
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

agreed with all but Wallace.
He flat out gave up in last weeks game. His QB couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, so he stopped putting in the effort figuring the ball wouldn't be there anyway. That throw at his feet that he could hardly trouble himself to lean over to trap against the turf made me sick. The ball was way low, but watching the replay, I think he could have made a play on that ball and didn't even try. That's inexcusable. The toe tap in the endzone didn't provide much effort either. Drops and fumbles happen.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #25
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,983 Times in 4,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
This is one I can agree with.
I'm sorry you could only agree with one of the points, but you're right - this team has the feel (when healthy) they could make a strong run in the postseason.

Regarding Wallace - I don't know if he gave up. A couple buddies have mine brought up that there's a possibility he didn't want to play for any other quarterback except Ben and was pouting when he got injured. I don't know how true that is and I think it's total bullshit, but it did seem like the effort level in the last couple of plays were diminished for Wallace and I'll concede that.

However, it could have been that the throws and overall gameplan put both Leftwich and Wallace at a disadvantage. I don't know where the blame lies for the Ravens game, but I think calling Wallace out for it is a mistake. This is an offense in transition, and once they have a year and another offseason (with Mikey) they'll be firing on all cylinders.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #26
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I'm sorry you could only agree with one of the points, but you're right - this team has the feel (when healthy) they could make a strong run in the postseason.
No I agree with the rest of them. The Defense has really got it together and will keep the Steelers in games, though not enough to win them, as they are still lacking in the turnover department.

This offense does begin and end with Ben, and it would also help to get Antonio Brown back to the fold as well.

Mike Wallace isn't a terrible player, but his place in the food chain on this offense is quite apparent. He's not our Best WR. It's questionable if he's even our 2nd best at this point. Since he's not our Best WR, he shouldn't be paid top-flight WR money. If he wants more, then he can beat it.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #27
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
it's taken me a while, but I've come around to trusting and anticipating clutch plays by AB. I think he's already there, I just don't think he'll ever put up big numbers (much like Ward).
Ward had 12,000 yards receiving and 85 td's...Ward had half the talent most wideouts had.

Clutch plays happen in the big games. Ward, hell even Santonio made them. Brown has 160 yards in 4 playoff games and no td's. Remember Demaryious Thomas ? 204 yards with tim tebow at QB against us in Jan? Thats clutch!

I'm sure he will come on, but he is nothing special yet. just a good wideout and a better return man.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #28
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Let's say this - AB has the look of someone that could be clutch. I think AB has made the most of his opportunities. And I agree that he could be Ward-Like and be here for the next decade. The jury is still out because he doesn't have the body of work. I hope they let Wallace walk, I just cannot see them wrapping that much money up in the WR posiition, and Make AB and Sanders their 1/2, with some vets and a draft pick rounding out the position. IMO
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #29
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,952 Times in 3,702 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

I'm thinking more of 3rd downs as clutch plays. As far as Ward goes, he put up big numbers over his career, but he was never a fantasy football darling.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #30
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

I don't agree that Tomlin is top 3. I don't think he is all that good at all. He would have kept Arians, and eventually after years of failure, had to be publicly sent a message, and finally overridden. He has not addressed our horrible special teams in 6 years, (maybe he isn't given the choice though). He makes just plain stupid game day decisions, on par for his responsibilities as Arians was on offense.

I am also not a big fan of Mike Wallace this year. I had hopes when he came back and made some tough catches over the middle, but now he's not even catching a lot of the easy ones, and I'm not convinced he's as fast as he used to be either, although he looked it against the Ravens. I thought at the time that giving Brown the big money was the right decision. He has earned it, and Sanders makes things happen too. The two of them on the field together are hard to cover. Heath is Heath. Ben has stepped up his game and attitude this year too. I like it. If we can get everyone healthy and in rhythm watch out.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote