Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #111
GoFor7
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,353
Member Number: 24211
Thanks: 32
Thanked 94 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
The defense gave up 3 points!!!

And you're blaming the defense!?! Come on, man.

[Note: 7 points came from ST. 3 points came of a Wallace fumble in the red-zone.]
This is a typical knee-jerk reaction from Steeler fans whenever something critical is said of the defense.

Did the defense lose the game? Absolutely not. In fact, they held strong when they were put in a bad position early in the game. But in order to beat Baltimore without Ben, splash plays were needed. Do you really think Byron Leftwich was going to lead the offense on 80-90 yard scoring drives all night? Do you think Charlie Batch will do that against Cleveland? Now, the same could be said of special teams in the return game. Ever since the Giants game the return unit has gone downhill and Tomlin has looked rather silly for firing Everest.

Quote:
An offense with Ben Roethlisberger, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Heath Miller, Maurkice Pouncey, Rashard Mendenhall and other studs should do better than 17th in scoring, yes. Absolutely. That's not controversial, it's fact.
You know, all those points the Patriots have been scoring in the past few weeks aren't just on Tom Brady. They've been getting scores from their defense (which is statistically inferior to the Steelers' defense) and their special teams. The Steelers' defense needs to return to its old ways of making splash plays. And that is not controversial, it's fact.

Some competence on special teams would be nice too.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #112
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 8,229
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 66,942
Thanked 11,233 Times in 4,482 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
This is a typical knee-jerk reaction from Steeler fans whenever something critical is said of the defense.

Did the defense lose the game? Absolutely not. In fact, they held strong when they were put in a bad position early in the game. But in order to beat Baltimore without Ben, splash plays were needed. Do you really think Byron Leftwich was going to lead the offense on 80-90 yard scoring drives all night? Do you think Charlie Batch will do that against Cleveland? Now, the same could be said of special teams in the return game. Ever since the Giants game the return unit has gone downhill and Tomlin has looked rather silly for firing Everest.



You know, all those points the Patriots have been scoring in the past few weeks aren't just on Tom Brady. They've been getting scores from their defense (which is statistically inferior to the Steelers' defense) and their special teams. The Steelers' defense needs to return to its old ways of making splash plays. And that is not controversial, it's fact.

Some competence on special teams would be nice too.
I think I agree with a lot of what you are saying. This D has been getting better all year, and against the Ravens they were at there best so far.

I would like to see more big plays from the D as well. Think, just one turnover for a TD or putting us in the Redzone and we could have won that game. Remember Harrison jumping over LT against the Chargers after a pick, or returning the pick against the Cardinals, or all of Polamalu's big splash plays. That is something a D needs every once and a while, and we're not getting it.

However, special teams and the offense were just as much to blame for not coming up with a big play when it counted. Holmes was great at getting one or two big plays when needed (punt returns and in receiving). I know BB wasn't in there, but we still had play-makers in there.

When it's all said and done though, woulda coulda shouldas can go on and on, and I'm very hopeful about this team. They are starting to look great.
__________________
See the little goblin, See his little feet
And his little nosey-wose, Isn't the goblin sweet?
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #113
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 16,202
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 24,025
Thanked 25,443 Times in 10,323 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
This is a typical knee-jerk reaction from Steeler fans whenever something critical is said of the defense.

Did the defense lose the game? Absolutely not. In fact, they held strong when they were put in a bad position early in the game. But in order to beat Baltimore without Ben, splash plays were needed. Do you really think Byron Leftwich was going to lead the offense on 80-90 yard scoring drives all night? Do you think Charlie Batch will do that against Cleveland? Now, the same could be said of special teams in the return game. Ever since the Giants game the return unit has gone downhill and Tomlin has looked rather silly for firing Everest.
.
Interesting.

My "knee-jerk" reaction is to someone complaining about a defense that gave up 3 points.

My "knee-jerk" reaction is to someone who won't be satisfied unless the defense pitches a shut-out... and even then some people would still complain: "The defense gave up zero points, but I expect better."

So, Yes, you can call my reaction "knee-jerk" because I find it utterly baffling that someone is blaming the defense for a loss against the Ravens.

I would have the same reaction if someone looked at Jessica Alba and stated, "I don't like the color of her lip gloss."

And, as far as the defense "making up for the loss of BB", how about the offense making up for the loss of Troy(& for an injured Harrison)? The defense did its job... even the color of its lip gloss was not to some people's liking.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #114
GoFor7
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,353
Member Number: 24211
Thanks: 32
Thanked 94 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
However, special teams and the offense were just as much to blame for not coming up with a big play when it counted. Holmes was great at getting one or two big plays when needed (punt returns and in receiving). I know BB wasn't in there, but we still had play-makers in there.
If fans want to see more from their offense, aside from the defense giving them shorter fields, the offense needs to strike quickly more often. The Steelers are of the mentality that the offense should babysit the defense by possessing the football. As we've seen before (and as some of us simply refuse to accept), time of possession means nothing if you aren't scoring. If you had to choose, would you rather have 3 points after 10 minutes or 7 points after 10 seconds? The Steelers offense should try to score more points faster and worry about possession in the 4th quarter.

As for special teams, it's just a complete joke. They overrun the kick returner on kick coverage and they can't block without getting a penalty in the return game.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #115
GoFor7
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,353
Member Number: 24211
Thanks: 32
Thanked 94 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Interesting.

My "knee-jerk" reaction is to someone complaining about a defense that gave up 3 points.

My "knee-jerk" reaction is to someone who won't be satisfied unless the defense pitches a shut-out... and even then some people would still complain: "The defense gave up zero points, but I expect better."

So, Yes, you can call my reaction "knee-jerk" because I find it utterly baffling that someone is blaming the defense for a loss against the Ravens.

I would have the same reaction if someone looked at Jessica Alba and stated, "I don't like the color of her lip gloss."

And, as far as the defense "making up for the loss of BB", how about the offense making up for the loss of Troy(& for an injured Harrison)? The defense did its job... even the color of its lip gloss was not to some people's liking.
Wow..... you really don't get it.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #116
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 8,229
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 66,942
Thanked 11,233 Times in 4,482 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

all though, being good at TOP to me means keeping your offense balanced and the opposing D off-balance. It also keeps defenses from getting aggressive and "teeing off" against our O-line and QB.

As far as these close games go, we need one of the 3 phases of the team to step up and make big plays (not just to keep us in a game, but to win the game at the end).
__________________
See the little goblin, See his little feet
And his little nosey-wose, Isn't the goblin sweet?
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #117
lipps83
Head Coach
 
lipps83's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,550
Member Number: 17725
Thanks: 298
Thanked 602 Times in 310 Posts
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
And they are something like 13th in points allowed. If you prefer, we can look at the Colts instead, who are 5th in TOP. Let's hear your take on their defense.

The Baltimore Ravens are dead last in TOP. Look at their defense and tell me how this equates.
That fits in perfectly with what I am saying. Stats don't and never will, tell the whole story.

In my opinion, the Steelers having the statistical #1 defense does not mean that they actually have the best defense in the NFL.

If you want to say they are the best because they are #1 in total yards, that is fine. You are allowed to do that.

Just as I am allowed to say that they are not the best defense because they cannot create turnovers at all and can barely put any pressure on the opposing QB. Not to mention all the 4th quarter leads we have lost this year because of this same stout defense.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #118
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 16,202
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 24,025
Thanked 25,443 Times in 10,323 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Wow..... you really don't get it.
Please, enlighten us Yinzers, because we do not get how giving up 3 points equals the defense sucking.

Seriously... explain.

Q: If the defense pitched a shut-out, would you STILL complain? I am seriously asking, because if your answer is "Yes" then I truly have no idea why you'd be complaining. (I barely understand why you'd scoff at the defense giving up only 3 points). So, again, explain to us Yinzers.

Last edited by teegre; 11-23-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Q
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #119
Danny136200
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 245
Member Number: 17651
Thanks: 33
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
They are sacrificing putting pressure on the QB to make mistakes to drop more into coverage and stop the pass.
And that is exactly what is needed to win in this league. Disciplined coverage at the back, nothing fancy. the defense has been doing there job since the first five weeks, not giving up points, getting off on third down, and such.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #120
Danny136200
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 245
Member Number: 17651
Thanks: 33
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
That fits in perfectly with what I am saying. Stats don't and never will, tell the whole story.

In my opinion, the Steelers having the statistical #1 defense does not mean that they actually have the best defense in the NFL.

If you want to say they are the best because they are #1 in total yards, that is fine. You are allowed to do that.

Just as I am allowed to say that they are not the best defense because they cannot create turnovers at all and can barely put any pressure on the opposing QB. Not to mention all the 4th quarter leads we have lost this year because of this same stout defense.
Tell me, how have they done in the past five games in the 4th quarter?
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts