Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,512 Times in 5,954 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Charlie Batch is an old standard for the Steelers

Batch an old standard for Steelers

By F. Dale Lolley
published nov 22, 2012

Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch is shown during a preseason game in August 2011. Batch has led the Steelers to a 5-2 record as a starter since joining Pittsburgh in 2002.

PITTSBURGH – There is likely to be an extra player in the ice tub for the Steelers Monday.

And it’s right where Charlie Batch wants to be.

The soon-to-be 38-year-old backup quarterback will make his first start of the season in place of injured Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich Sunday when the Steelers (6-4) visit Cleveland (2-8).

Batch, who turns 38 Dec. 5, expects to be sore Monday. He and the Steelers just hope he doesn’t become the third consecutive Pittsburgh quarterback to leave a game with an injury.

“You just know at this age, you spend a lot of time in the ice tub and try not to get that (old) feeling,” said Batch. “The good thing is, I’m not the only person in this locker room that has to feel that way. We have a bunch of 30-year olds on this team.”

But with Roethlisberger still out with a sprained shoulder and dislocated rib and Leftwich nursing a pair of fractured ribs, the Steelers can’t afford for Batch to be anything more than sore on Monday.

Even though the Steelers signed former New England backup Brian Hoyer Tuesday to serve as Batch’s backup, the Steelers will be counting heavily on Batch.

It’s been a continuing theme for Batch since he joined the Steelers as a backup quarterback in 2002.

He has appeared in 31 games, but only seven of those have been starts. The Steelers have gone 5-2 in starts by Batch, and, in many cases, he hasn’t had an experienced backup option behind him.

That will be the case against the Browns, as Hoyer will have only had three days of practice with his new team.

“I’ve been in this situation (before),” said Batch. “In 2010, there were only two quarterbacks at Tennessee and Dennis (Dixon) goes down in the first quarter and I had to go out there and I was the only quarterback for the next two and a half weeks.”

The question for the Steelers will be how effective their offense can be with its third starting quarterback in three weeks?

Pittsburgh has scored only 26 points in its last two games.

“I don’t think it will be a big issue,” said wide receiver Mike Wallace. “Chuck has been here. It’s not like he’s a guy coming in off the street. He’s a guy who has been around for a long time and has played a lot of games in this league.”

Batch has made 60 career starts, but few have been as important as Sunday’s for the Steelers, who are two games behind Baltimore in the AFC North and one game ahead of Cincinnati in the AFC wild-card race.

“At this point, we still have a chance to win the division,” Batch said. “We still have to keep up with everybody else at this point. But we can’t get too far ahead of ourselves. That’s why we have to go up there and we have to figure out a way no matter what, to get this one in Cleveland.”

And for Batch, it’s an important game in that he doesn’t know how many starts remain for him in the NFL. Sure, the aches and pains that require a trip to the cold tub on Monday aren’t pleasant, but when you’ve played football all of your life, it also means Batch was playing.

“I’m always excited. These opportunities don’t come often anymore and here I am, getting up there in years and when you have this opportunity you cherish it,” Batch said.

Odds and end zones

Roethlisberger’s wife, Ashley, gave birth to the couple’s first child on Thursday, a son they named Benjamin Roethlisberger, Jr. … Roethlisberger, Leftwich, wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (ribs), safety Troy Polamalu (calf) and offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert (ankle) did not practice for the Steelers Thursday. … Wide receiver Antonio Brown (ankle) and defensive end Ziggy Hood (back) were limited in practice.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/art...S#.UK72vs2aLO8
Old 11-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
i82much
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11562
Default Re: Charlie Batch is an old standard for the Steelers

As a Ravens fan I have had the misfortune of seeing Batch get the job done too many times (including games against other teams). Rivalry or not I have a certain admiration for this old vet that seems like such a team player and gotten the job done more often than not.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,452 Times in 1,631 Posts

He's old and less than the standard. We will be fortunate to get out of cleveland with a victory with Batch at the helm.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
As a Ravens fan I have had the misfortune of seeing Batch get the job done too many times (including games against other teams). Rivalry or not I have a certain admiration for this old vet that seems like such a team player and gotten the job done more often than not.
Between the two comments so far, I'm going to have swallow my pride here and say I agree with Ravens fan 100%. You never know what's going to happen on any given Sunday, but unlike El-Gonzo Jackson -who thinks we'll be lucky to get out of Cleveland with a victory - with Charlie Batch, he's no Ben, but with a 5-2 record at a starting Steeler's QB, I like our odds. Put that in your pipe and smoke it
Old 11-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
BlaZeQuietly
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWitmyer View Post
Between the two comments so far, I'm going to have swallow my pride here and say I agree with Ravens fan 100%. You never know what's going to happen on any given Sunday, but unlike El-Gonzo Jackson -who thinks we'll be lucky to get out of Cleveland with a victory - with Charlie Batch, he's no Ben, but with a 5-2 record at a starting Steeler's QB, I like our odds. Put that in your pipe and smoke it
Batch is okay, and I took your advice with the pipe smoking
BlaZeQuietly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlaZeQuietly For This Useful Post:
AndyWitmyer (11-25-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
JeromeBetties63
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
He's old and less than the standard. We will be fortunate to get out of cleveland with a victory with Batch at the helm.
You are the most negative, player bashing poster on here. What is your problem?
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:15 AM   #7
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

Quote:
Atleast Chuck is still better than Leftwich.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeBetties63 View Post
Charlie Batch is old.
Charlie Batch is sub-standard as a starter.
Stating the obvious is not "bashing."
We should consider ourselves fortunate to win on the road with a 3rd string QB.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,452 Times in 1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeBetties63 View Post
I have been on this board for some time now and I dont think that the majority who have been here would state that I am the "most negative player bashing poster" here.

Like others have said, I am just stating the obvious.

What you dont get is that I can objectively look at players and evaluate them for what they are. While you believe that Larry Foote is some great ILB, I can realize that he is a liability. This is coming from somebody that is a Michigan fan and followed Foote playing over a decade ago in College.

Charlie Batch's position should have been upgraded long ago. His best days in the NFL are from when he was Lion. If we use the forumla of a solid defense and don't put too much of the onus on Batch to win, then we have a shot.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

If Batch gets hit in this game we could very well have Hoyer playing QB in his first game with the Steelers. That might actually be a good thing as he can throw the dink and dunk passes that Haley likes to use. He probably hasn't had enough time with the playbook yet, but stranger things have happened. I just hope Haley doesn't try to get Batch to throw an out route because that is a pick six waiting to happen with Batch's weak arm.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote