Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #51
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
Default Re: mike adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I will respectfully disagree with this statement.

Adams actually does a good job in the run game getting movement on defenders. He also does a decent job in pass blocking if you watch line play for the entire game and not just the 3- 5 times a game he gives up a QB pressure or sack.

NFL D linemen are better than who he saw at Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana, etc last year. Every snap is a learning experience for him.
We should start an "Offensive Line Review" sticky for you El-Gonzo... After every game review the play of the O-line. You always have great insights on the O-line play.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #52
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261

Mike Adams reminds me of Young Max Starks.

Road-Grader, but mediocre pass blocker. Adams will struggle as a rookie, but he's done a decent job.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #53
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

I'll give my non knee-jerkish reaction to Mike Adams:

As a run blocker, he's pretty good - perhaps even a little better than Gilbert. But as a pass blocker, he's got a lot of room for improvement. Now this begs the question: Can the Steelers afford to keep him in there if/when Gilbert is healthy? Some would say "you have to keep him in so he gets better!" While there's some truth to that, keep two things in mind: First, Ben will eventually be back. Do you want someone who's suspect in pass blocking protecting a QB coming off an injury? Second, if a TE helps him with pass protection that takes away a receiving option.

Given all that, I personally would lean towards starting Gilbert if he can get cleared to play.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #54
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion! Spear Toss Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Do you want someone who's suspect in pass blocking protecting a QB coming off an injury?

Given all that, I personally would lean towards starting Gilbert if he can get cleared to play.
The problem is that Gilbert is equally suspect in pass blocking. This year has really been a big regression for him.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #55
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,302 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
The problem is that Gilbert is equally suspect in pass blocking. This year has really been a big regression for him.
I'll agree with this year not being great for Gilbert, but I think a lot of it has to do with the injuries and the Steelers planning in preseason to anoint Adams as the opening day LT.

All the fanboys that got on the Adams bandwagon in the preseason are now hating on the guy. I thought that all along it would be better for him to learn at RT instead of Ben's blind side. I think that if Gilbert is given the chance to be the LT of the future, that he can.

I've been disgruntled about the lack of O line talent for around 7 years now and am really excited at the prospects of Decastro, Pouncey, Colon, Gilbert, Adams, Foster and Beechum. Although I think Foster goes in free agency next season.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #56
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I was certain that Foster was going to be relegated to backup from this season forward, but how impressive has it been that his name has barely been mentioned at all here, in the press, or on the field? Kudos to him, and many thanks.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #57
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I was certain that Foster was going to be relegated to backup from this season forward, but how impressive has it been that his name has barely been mentioned at all here, in the press, or on the field? Kudos to him, and many thanks.
I remember Wolfley saying inthe preseason to not count out "The Big Ragu". He's always been a mauler and may likely go the Keydrick Vincent route and get paid by somebody else in the offseason.

I still think if Urbik and Foster were on the roster that we may have been just fine at guard and likely could have drafted Hightower in the 1st round this year instead of needing a guard.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #58
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I agree that if Urbik and Foster were on the roster we would have been better off at guard but I don't believe they would have passed on a guy like Decastro regardless. We got very lucky with him falling to us. I also agree that it is nice to see some oline talent! One problem is that Gilbert keeps wiping out his fellow olineman! I think you play the beat guy. No matter what. The coaching staff is gonna have to make some tough decisions! Let's just get the W tomorrow and see where that puts us! Go Steelers...
austinfrench76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #59
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelax04 View Post
We should start an "Offensive Line Review" sticky for you El-Gonzo... After every game review the play of the O-line. You always have great insights on the O-line play.
Thanks, but the problem is ........that nobody would really care about such a review column. I love O line play and know what it means to an offense, if the majority dont care....its OK.

Bob Wylie (Hipcheese knows of him) is an O line coach and guru that runs an O line group called The Mushroom Society. http://www.thecoolclinic.com/ The name comes because O line coaches are kept in the dark and fed manure and still thrive. Very few care about O line play, we get the plays the O Coordinator wants to run and get told to "block it up".

I wasnt a fan of Adams in the 1st, but happy we got him in the 2nd. He's got worldbeater talent, but eggbeater technique and consistency. If Kugler can put it together, the kid will be a pro bowler.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #60
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Any update on Adams' injury? Beachum will get ate up in Baltimore, we need either Gilbert or Adams to play and play well this weekend.

Seems like they are rushing DD back, if he could just begin running two weeks ago then I doubt he's ready to hit 320lbs men.

Another huge question is how soon will Colon be back and will his injury linger? He has been a huge improvement at LG.