Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-14-2006, 11:29 PM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default Q&A: Troy Polamalu.....

Troy Polamalu showed up at minicamp in a full beard that not only fits his spiritual presence but his role as emerging team leader. Here?s what he had to say the first day of the spring season:

TROY POLAMALU, Pittsburgh Steelers
SCI: How do you explain the beard?

Troy Polamalu: I?m just letting it go.

SCI: Will it last into the season?

TP: Oh, no. It?s just laziness pretty much.

SCI: I heard you bought a house way up north in Franklin. Is that true?

TP: I live in Wexford. It seems like everybody knows where I live because people drop by, drive by and come by for autographs and crazy things like that.

SCI: Is that a bit much?

TP: Yeah, when it?s at your house definitely.

SCI: Do you get angry?

TP: No. I don?t get angry.

SCI: Have you noticed any changes since the Super Bowl?

TP: No. It?s easy for me to separate myself from that stuff. It?s a shame that people have to define themselves in something like that. It?s a blessing, for sure, for me, but you know what I mean.

SCI: Are you worried the team will be able to gear it up in time mentally?

TP: I think from the outside looking in, from the fans? perspective, there?s always a championship mentality and championship expectations outside looking in. The inside is no different. I think the pressure we put on ourselves to be successful is always going to be there no matter if we won a championship last year or not.

SCI: Won?t the character and chemistry carry over?

TP: Yeah, but we lost a very, very important block of leadership in Jerome and Chris and Kimo and Antwaan. Those guys are big locker room guys. It will be tough to replace that.

SCI: Do you feel the need to step up personally in that regard?

TP: Not as far as their role on this team. Their roles are very important and it comes from their personalities and the family that we created. It?s pretty much a death in the family because they?ll never be back here and it?s just somebody you?ll miss.

SCI: New personalities do emerge in those situations.

TP: Definitely.

SCI: Do you feel the need to step up more personality-wise?

TP: No. Personality-wise, you are who you are. I don?t expect the new people that come in to be funny like Chris is, or loud like Antwaan and charismatic and caring like Antwaan was, but new people do come through.

SCI: How will the loss of Chris Hope affect you on the field?

TP: It?ll be tough to tell. We practiced together every day since I was here, and we enjoyed each other?s company on and off the field, so it?ll be tough to rekindle a relationship the same as that. But will there be a relationship as good as that? Time will only tell.

By: Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Date: May 14, 2006

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:54 AM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Q&A: Troy Polamalu.....

I don`t care what team your a fan of, you cannot help but love this guy. Incredible player on the field, incredible man off the field. Props troy!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:42 AM   #3
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

Proud he's a Steeler
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

This man is a great person in addition to bein a great player. He is extremely humble and down to earth. He said himself people drop by his house but he doesn't get upset. He knows that what he does is supported by fans and by givin back to them in just the simple things like signin an autograph does more than anythin he does on the field. It's that humility that will carry this team farther and farther.

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
sheba

Member Number:
Lightbulb Re: Q&A: Troy Polamalu.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELMAN
Troy Polamalu showed up at minicamp in a full beard that not only fits his spiritual presence but his role as emerging team leader. Here?s what he had to say the first day of the spring season:

TROY POLAMALU, Pittsburgh Steelers
SCI: How do you explain the beard?

Troy Polamalu: I?m just letting it go.

SCI: Will it last into the season?

TP: Oh, no. It?s just laziness pretty much.

SCI: I heard you bought a house way up north in Franklin. Is that true?

TP: I live in Wexford. It seems like everybody knows where I live because people drop by, drive by and come by for autographs and crazy things like that.

SCI: Is that a bit much?

TP: Yeah, when it?s at your house definitely.

SCI: Do you get angry?

TP: No. I don?t get angry.

SCI: Have you noticed any changes since the Super Bowl?

TP: No. It?s easy for me to separate myself from that stuff. It?s a shame that people have to define themselves in something like that. It?s a blessing, for sure, for me, but you know what I mean.

SCI: Are you worried the team will be able to gear it up in time mentally?

TP: I think from the outside looking in, from the fans? perspective, there?s always a championship mentality and championship expectations outside looking in. The inside is no different. I think the pressure we put on ourselves to be successful is always going to be there no matter if we won a championship last year or not.

SCI: Won?t the character and chemistry carry over?

TP: Yeah, but we lost a very, very important block of leadership in Jerome and Chris and Kimo and Antwaan. Those guys are big locker room guys. It will be tough to replace that.

SCI: Do you feel the need to step up personally in that regard?

TP: Not as far as their role on this team. Their roles are very important and it comes from their personalities and the family that we created. It?s pretty much a death in the family because they?ll never be back here and it?s just somebody you?ll miss.

SCI: New personalities do emerge in those situations.

TP: Definitely.

SCI: Do you feel the need to step up more personality-wise?

TP: No. Personality-wise, you are who you are. I don?t expect the new people that come in to be funny like Chris is, or loud like Antwaan and charismatic and caring like Antwaan was, but new people do come through.

SCI: How will the loss of Chris Hope affect you on the field?

TP: It?ll be tough to tell. We practiced together every day since I was here, and we enjoyed each other?s company on and off the field, so it?ll be tough to rekindle a relationship the same as that. But will there be a relationship as good as that? Time will only tell.

By: Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Date: May 14, 2006
nice work
Old 05-29-2006, 10:34 AM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I have to say that was one of the best interviews I have read in a while.

Refreshingly honest and not just fiollowing the party line - as successful as the Patriots have been - their press conferences can be an excellent cure for insomnia.

Its understated - and honest the way he admits that losing those players will have a big effect on the lockerroom - and also the fact that he doesnt feel the need to change who he is.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

"SCI: New personalities do emerge in those situations.

TP: Definitely."

Comforting.......
Old 05-29-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
melroseplace
Team Captain

Member Number: 520

gotta love Troy, I'm so glad that he calls himself a Steeler
melroseplace is offline   Reply With Quote