Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 11-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
Jpeezyiseternal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24248
Default Re: Can Rainey Play in the NFL?

people make mistakes

even professionals

he's a brand new rookie making mistakes that even hall of famers made
Jpeezyiseternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Why Rainey is in our game plan, or on the team for that matter, is unexplainable to me. He's too small, and too weak for his position, and he'll continue to be molested as long as he is on our roster.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

There has got to be a hungry RB out there without a job. Hightower comes to mind. I now I am desperate but desperate times. When Dwyer went down on his own I realized his conditioning or lack of is because he is mentally week. He is not a Steelers RB. All Bettis comparisons should be erased and never be used again. Pathetic. Rainey is a return man and 3rd down back. A poor mans Reggie Bush.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
Loved his TD run today, but honestly he looks way too small to be playing in the NFL.

I agree.
Some won't want to accept the truth here - but the fact is - he's too small to play as a back. Period. When he got tackled and pretty near threw up into the air today he looked like a 12-year old boy.
I wouldn't write him off completely though.
He could be a great kick-off and punt returner. That may work out (barring he doesn't get injured....again). But a back? NO way.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,645 Times in 3,928 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
There has got to be a hungry RB out there without a job. Hightower comes to mind. I now I am desperate but desperate times. When Dwyer went down on his own I realized his conditioning or lack of is because he is mentally week. He is not a Steelers RB. All Bettis comparisons should be erased and never be used again. Pathetic. Rainey is a return man and 3rd down back. A poor mans Reggie Bush.
At this point i've got to agree completely. Bettis hit harder and harder as the game went on. He lived for punishing defensive players.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
VA_steeelrs
Water Boy

Member Number: 21670

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdandlong View Post
For the amount of playing time Rainey has had he fumbles way too often. He fumbled twice today. He fumbled against the Giants. All this for a man who is in less than 10% of the offensive snaps. If he can't correct his fumbling problem, then he can't play. Its a shame cause he has a lot of talent.
in a day all backs funble, WRs drop, and QB throw interceptions, Rainey at least socred a TD. don't bark at this wrong tree.
VA_steeelrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VA_steeelrs For This Useful Post:
AndyWitmyer (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #17
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

When every back on the roster fumbles, and some twice in one game there is something bigger going on. Either a defense that is exceptional at forcing fumbles, and two fumbles were forced, or a system breakdown at the team level, or both. I think it is some of both. I've never noticed Tomlin address any glaring issues with this team. He inherited Lebeau, and was forced to upgrade the OC. Special teams have been a glaring problem his whole tenure, and only the defense ever shows any grasp of the fundamentals.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #18
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,689 Times in 877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
I agree.
Some won't want to accept the truth here - but the fact is - he's too small to play as a back. Period. When he got tackled and pretty near threw up into the air today he looked like a 12-year old boy.
I wouldn't write him off completely though.
He could be a great kick-off and punt returner. That may work out (barring he doesn't get injured....again). But a back? NO way.
All of the above.
I hoped by now to see more plays designed to isolate him 1 on 1 with a LB in space.
It seems like more inside and off tackle runs have been called for him which is surprising given his stature and skill set.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

Guys. He's not a feature back. He's a 3rd down back with special speed. And he's a rookie. All those little shit dump passes were setting him up to get killed as the browns sat back and waited. Honestly; I don't think we can really assess our rb's after today. We have no qb and Haley was ridiculous with his play calling. The Browns new they would run on the first 2 downs and then tee up. a bad day for all of our backs. Should we look to improve that position?? Absolutely!! But to question Rainey. Not fair under todays circumstances.
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #20
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Plenty of people have been to small to play their position, Ray Lewis is the first that comes to mind. Rainey has played well up until today and he still scored a TD. The problem is we were in an AFC North game vs a large (and good) running defense, and he didn't hold up. Anybody who ever expected Rainey to "pound the rock" like they attempted to today shouldn't be disappointed in Rainey, they should be disappointed in themselves. Rainey is a scat/3rd down type back who can be used as a WR and can/will dominate on ST. Some teams are lucky enough to have players like that, like the Saints have with Sprolles, we're lucky to have picked one up in the 5th round.

If he is misused like today then no he can not play in the NFL, his body won't hold up long and his fumble tally will be extremely high, but if used properly he will end up being a large part of this offense.

As for Mendy being gone, yes he will be, he has shown zero reason for us to give him a contract. IMO Dwyer is our only true RB right now and should be allowed to "get in a rhythm" instead of being benched for Redman and Mendenhall. I think there are a few young under achievers that won't be getting any big contracts in Pittsburgh next off season, luckily there are some over achievers too.