Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #51
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,044 Times in 879 Posts
Default Re: Bruce Arians Is Thankful He Was Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
And with your logic I guess Charlie Batch is a large part of the reason for the same since he was here during that same time period?

While Charlie played a part in helping us out occasionally, he didn't have a direct impact on the vast majority of the games during that time any more than Brucie did. Sure, Bruce once in a blue moon pulled his head out of his ass long enough to call a competent game (last season's Pats game comes to mind), but they were very few and far between. By and large, the defense bailed his sorry ass out more often than not.

Considering the talent he had to work with we should have been a top 5 offense in the league and we were nowhere near that at any time during his tenure here. He was the main reason this offense underperformed for those 5 seasons. It has been rehashed here and plenty of other places ad nauseum with example upon example of his utter stupidity (not using a true fullback, underusing the RBs, not practicing for 4-3 defenses, forcing players to follow his schemes instead of building schemes around their strengths, etc., etc., etc.).

There's no denying that the offense is already performing better under Haley in less than one season than it was during the 5 seasons Airhead was here. That's not an accident, but the conception of B.A. was and his parents should be beaten for it.

Saying that Bruce Arians' offensive genius was a major reason why the Steelers were so successful the past 5 years is like saying the Baltimore Ravens rode the arm of Trent Dilfer to the Super Bowl XXXV Lombardi trophy.
When did I call Arians an offensive genius?
All I asked was why everyone hates him so much and all I get is a bunch equivocating bullshit because nobody can bring themselves to simply admit that Arians wasn't a bad coach.

Or the one I love is when someone points out how all those winning years were because of Dick LeBeau's Defense (genuflecting) rather than Arians' offense.

OK, so let's get this straight...

When we're talking about the Defense, it's all about Lebeau (genuflecting) and not about Harrison, Woodley, Polamalu, etc..
But when we're talking about the Offense, it's the QB and the receivers that made it what it was and Arians was just upholstery.

Is that about right?

Do you guys actually read what you write?
Old 11-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #52
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
All I asked was why everyone hates him so much and all I get is a bunch equivocating bullshit because nobody can bring themselves to simply admit that Arians wasn't a bad coach.

Or the one I love is when someone points out how all those winning years were because of Dick LeBeau's Defense (genuflecting) rather than Arians' offense.

When we're talking about the Defense, it's all about Lebeau (genuflecting) and not about Harrison, Woodley, Polamalu, etc..
But when we're talking about the Offense, it's the QB and the receivers that made it what it was and Arians was just upholstery.

Is that about right?

BOOOOOO! Yinz think da stiller defense stinks! BOOOOOOOOOOO! Yinz just want to pass da ball every down! Yinz only care bout Ben's stats! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Now excuse me while ah go to da doctor n'at. Everytime ah read yinz posts my knee jerks and bangs against sumthin.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #53
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,126 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

So am I. He was garbage.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #54
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I'm sure any OC would rather be a HC anywhere else. From a career stand point, and with as tight as the Colts locker room is right now, I can see why Arians ( a previous cancer survivor) would be thankful to be there. That said, he did it as a cheap shot like the arrogant dbag he is.

I don't mean this as a cheap shot nor do I wish anything bad for Coach Pagano, but his illness is the best thing that happened for the team. All these new players under a new HC and a new OC who couldn't get an offense led by big Ben and the top WR corps in football better then 20th in scoring, yet he thinks Steeler fans are going to think that he is the reason for their success....nonsense. The Colts have a legit shot because that is a tight knit locker room, everybody is playing for the guy next to them and the guy in the hospital, and that's what I mean by that was the best thing that happened to the team. A LOT of teams have beat unbelievable odds just by playing with more heart then the other team.

That being said, the feeling is mutual. I'm not saying Arians lost us the SB vs the Packers, but I will say he kept us from winning. Mendy's fumble, Wallace's poor route running, etc. all played a role in the loss. But if Arians would have attacked their backup CB's after Williams and Woodson went out, we would have won that SB, even after Mendy's fumble and Ben's early mistakes. It was a 6 point game and not only would we have converted on that final drive, but we would have scored again earlier. Arians was a burden to what could have been a true dynasty IMO.

*To be clear, I've lost family to cancer and in know way am making light of his situation or of the disease.

Last edited by tanda10506; 11-24-2012 at 06:54 PM.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #55
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I like how the topic above this one is about how we have beaten the Browns 16 out of the last 17 times. It's funny cause that loss (2009) was COMPLETELY on Arians. Gale force winds, brutally cold, and even snowing at times if I remember correctly, yet Ben through the ball about 50 times. We ran the absolute least at the time where we should have been doing it on every possible play, and some consider that the beginning of the end for Ariians.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #56
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
I gave you several reasons why people disliked him. If you can't accept that, that's on you. Keep apologizing away for him though if it makes you feel better.

And yes, he was a bad coach.

Quote:
By and large, that is the truth. The team won in spite of Arians and his bonehead playcalling because of the defense and the raw talent of the offense. What I find humorous is that everyone speaks about Ben and his "schoolyard" type of playing and his ability to stretch plays out once the play breaks down. He did it regularly under Arians.

It seems to me if he had to do that as often as we saw him do it, that means Arians' play yielded nothing. It was Ben's ability to extend a play and make something happen with the help of his receivers. It wasn't Arians' superior playcalling ability finding the weaknesses in the defense. It was Ben running around shaking off tackles until guys were able to find a soft spot on their own.

Quote:

Is that about right?

I give equal credit to the defensive personnel as well. It was LeBeau and his defensive players that were that good. You rarely saw them out of position and they were playing as a disciplined unit, unlike the offense under Arians.

I also stated that occasionally Arians could call a great game, but the following week he would always fall right back into his pattern of deep drops for bombs down the field with a shaky o-line. The run game would disappear because he wouldn't stick with it whether it was working or not. No amount of people apologizing or excuse making for him will ever negate what I saw with my own eyes... an arrogant, stubborn, and at times inept coordinator.

I guarantee you that without Ben at the helm doing what he was capable of doing under Bruce, we would not have enjoyed nearly as much success on offense or as a team. Can you say that about any one player on the defense? LeBeau's defense would still have been great without a Troy or Harrison.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #57
FanSince72
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
I gave you several reasons why people disliked him. If you can't accept that, that's on you. Keep apologizing away for him though if it makes you feel better.

And yes, he was a bad coach.

Yeah right.

And now Arians who's wearing two hats (OC and Head Coach) along with a rookie QB is 7-4 and we're 6-5 and coming off a game with EIGHT turnovers.

Two or three turnovers is just a bad day and can happen to anyone but EIGHT?
And I suppose none of that reflects badly upon the OC? Unless of course Arians was still here in which case you'd all be lining up to carve him a new one because of how lousy a coach he is.
Are all of those turnovers the players' fault or could it have something to do with the play-calling?
Christ, I don't believe that we EVER had EIGHT turnovers under Arians.
I'd like to say that was because maybe Arians actually knew what he was doing, but of course I'd be wrong because he sucks.

And please don't tell me that this joke of an offensive performance (in both meanings of the word: "offensive") was because we didn't have Ben.
We didn't have him for the first four games in 2010 and we went 3-1 in that stretch. Maybe this current sad state of affairs has something to do with Haley or maybe it doesn't. But Arians could certainly have done at least as well (or at least as poorly).
Arians put together a pretty good record in the five years he was here and he had a hand in helping to develop two great QB's and is now well on his way to doing the same with a third and he's 7-4 and his team is on its way up.

So you can say Arians sucks all you want but his record says differently and he's proving it as we speak.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #58
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,417 Times in 2,369 Posts

Arians sucks!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #59
uclkyle
Water Boy

Member Number: 17560

Finally I agree with AB. I'm glad he was fired too.
uclkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #60
FanSince72
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Arians sucks!