Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #21
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: Draft based on...?

I would say Safety, ILB, and RB are the top areas of need right now and should be addressed in the first three rounds. Safety or ILB in the first as there is much better defensive talent there than there will be at RB.

My RB feelings might just be because of the fumbles today, but at the same time I feel the RB-by-committee approach just doesn't work well and having one back to give 17+ carries to a game and allowing them to get in a rhythm is a much better approach. Dwyer gets gassed too easily and Redman and Mendy have both proven they can't handle it.

Otherwise our recent struggles haven't really changed anything in my mind. We need a safety to replace Troy (who clearly is nearing the end of his career), maybe even a second one to replace Clark although he isn't as immediate a concern. Spence COULD be the answer at ILB but at the same time we don't really have a window to see if he is before the next draft, and there is a lot of good ILB value at the end of the first and into the second.

Obviously a backup QB is needed but at the earliest round 4.

Otherwise I think we are pretty much set personnel-wise at Oline, WR, DL, CB, and OLB (Yes, I still think Worilds can replace Harrison). Some depth picks in later rounds could be useful but no reason to take any of those positions early.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #22
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Steelers will draft defense first next year- NT, LB, CB, or S BPA. Now back to focusing on this year... or are you in a big hurry to get to the offseason so we can speculate about players that will never be on a Steelers roster and stroke each other's fantasy draft picks and proclaim this year's draft to have fielded 4 future hall of famers?

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:35 AM   #23
cowherpower
Banned

Member Number: 24556

I think the reason why some are calling for D Line help is because we a) don't get to see McClendon play except in brief spurts, and he flashes ability to be starter but we don't know for sure b) our secondary is so bad that it prevents more blitzes and they don't give d line and LBs time to get to QB. We have spent a lot of top picks on this position and I think we need to finally address the two most important positions that we have neglected...OT and CB. I think if we had a true shutdown corner or close to one, that it would solve many of our problems on D.

Looking at this draft it looks pretty strong on the lines, so Left Tackle would be my choice. I take this over CB because we need Ben healthy. Can you imagine how good Ben would be if he had time? We've never seen it, not once in all the time he has been here. Even in his first couple of years with the best line he played behind, they were aging and injury prone. I am just so sick of seeing him hurt, running for his life, and not being able to run a simple play action pass because by the time he sets his feet the defenders are in his lap.

So...

LT
CB
RB
S

We NEED to have at least a stud LT or CB if we want to get back to winning divisions and going to SBs
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #24
AgentGold007
Banned

Member Number: 20176
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
The guy who threw himself on the turf and laid there waiting for someone to tag him down is a feature back? I don't think so.
Oh please, after the Cissiassi Bungles game you were probably ready to dub him the next Bettis. No one said the man is perfect, what back is? So should Bettis be left out of the Hall of Fame because he fumbled in Indy? I think there's good value in keeping Dwyer. I'm not ready to write him off this early in his career. But then again it ain't my decision.
AgentGold007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #25
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

ummm, welcome to the forum, cowherpower, but what are you smoking?! Ike Taylor and Keenan Lewis are awesome! Cortez Allen has been very good as the nickel corner. Unless there is a phenomenal RB that drops to us, we won't draft one for at least one more year. We also may already have signed our back-up QB in Hoyer.

The needs are probably OLB, Safety, and DL in first three rounds. Later rounds another OLB, maybe QB and WR.

All this being said, The Steelers draft whoever the best man is on their board when their turn comes up. Let's get back to this in the off-season. There is too much football to be played until then.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #26
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
The guy who threw himself on the turf and laid there waiting for someone to tag him down is a feature back? I don't think so.
For the record, he tried to cut and slipped on the crappy sod. Many other players did as well. That sod was clearly "for the birds".
Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #27
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentGold007 View Post
Oh please, after the Cissiassi Bungles game you were probably ready to dub him the next Bettis.
No. I've said all along he was our #2 guy, and no more. He'll never be #1 back caliber.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #28
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,969 Times in 1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Now back to focusing on this year... or are you in a big hurry to get to the offseason so we can speculate about players that will never be on a Steelers roster and stroke each other's fantasy draft picks and proclaim this year's draft to have fielded 4 future hall of famers?
Actually, my initial thought on the upcoming draft was because I look at this team and think, 'damn. They could be 8-3 or better barring a few breaks. What minor tweaks are neccessary to make sure this crap doesn't happen again?'

On one hand I want to believe that a Dennis Dixon or Jerrod Johnson could have TCB the last two weeks, but on the other an old reliable like a Bus or Fast Willie probably could have helped serve as an offensive work horse and run Burgh to W's.

Then on the last hands it's like, well... the D has been pretty stellar, but they're not in their primes and the O Line is never healthy...

It's easy to say that the Steelers need to protect Big Ben, but if it were that easy then injuries would never happen and we wouldn't ever have this discussion. And hard as goody-goody-dell may try, the NFL isn't going to switch to flags or two-hand touch soon, so it's all a moot point.

So what's the backup plan? In case of shit hitting fan, how can the Steelers win without player/gameplan X?

And since the Steelers are not FA players, the draft seems to be the only route.

Please forgive any 'shark jumping'.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #29
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,858 Times in 8,672 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
Actually, my initial thought on the upcoming draft was because I look at this team and think, 'damn. They could be 8-3 or better barring a few breaks. What minor tweaks are neccessary to make sure this crap doesn't happen again?'

On one hand I want to believe that a Dennis Dixon or Jerrod Johnson could have TCB the last two weeks, but on the other an old reliable like a Bus or Fast Willie probably could have helped serve as an offensive work horse and run Burgh to W's.

Then on the last hands it's like, well... the D has been pretty stellar, but they're not in their primes and the O Line is never healthy...

It's easy to say that the Steelers need to protect Big Ben, but if it were that easy then injuries would never happen and we wouldn't ever have this discussion. And hard as goody-goody-dell may try, the NFL isn't going to switch to flags or two-hand touch soon, so it's all a moot point.

So what's the backup plan? In case of shit hitting fan, how can the Steelers win without player/gameplan X?

And since the Steelers are not FA players, the draft seems to be the only route.

Please forgive any 'shark jumping'.
No need to explain, brother.

I watch college football, and when I do, I like to "project" who I'd like the Steelers to draft. It is a natural thing to do. I know that the Steelers need a safety or two, and thus, I have even watching the safeties (I like Matt Elam). Same goes with the LBs.

Now, if we were predicting/discussing "top ten" players (Manti Te'o, Star Lotulelei), then people could say that we are giving up on the season. But, we are discussing players who will likely be there at 32 & 64 (John Jenkins, Matt Elam), and thus, we are not giving up on this season; we are loading up for next season.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #30
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,690 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaSteelersfan View Post
ummm, welcome to the forum, cowherpower, but what are you smoking?! Ike Taylor and Keenan Lewis are awesome! Cortez Allen has been very good as the nickel corner. Unless there is a phenomenal RB that drops to us, we won't draft one for at least one more year. We also may already have signed our back-up QB in Hoyer.

The needs are probably OLB, Safety, and DL in first three rounds. Later rounds another OLB, maybe QB and WR.

All this being said, The Steelers draft whoever the best man is on their board when their turn comes up. Let's get back to this in the off-season. There is too much football to be played until then.
$$$$$$