Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Re: Lets go CHARGERS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
Giving up a 4th and 26 is damn near unheard of
it is and 4th and 29 was unheard of until today. With a little help from a bad spot and a bad respot after they reviewed it.

It was clearly short. Should have been game over right there. But a bad spot and call on the replay will go down as the longest 4th down conversion ever.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
Ravens1
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24426

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
it is and 4th and 29 was unheard of until today. With a little help from a bad spot and a bad respot after they reviewed it.

It was clearly short. Should have been game over right there. But a bad spot and call on the replay will go down as the longest 4th down conversion ever.
Amazing. A highly paid professional ref with tools at his disposal you can only dream off and being scrutinized by other officials and the league, missed something you saw from your living room. You should call them up immediately and advise them of their error.
Ravens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1 View Post
Amazing. A highly paid professional ref with tools at his disposal you can only dream off and being scrutinized by other officials and the league, missed something you saw from your living room. You should call them up immediately and advise them of their error.
Yes, and while we're at it maybe we can do something about John Harbaugh constantly questioning, bitching, moaning, and crying like a spoiled 4 year old after every single call he doesn't agree with. I mean, the refs DO have all of those nice toys to help them get it right after all.

Same with the majority of Ravens fans. I live near Baltimore and listen to their sports talk every day. Nothing but crying about calls and refs EVERY DAY, win or lose.

Seriously, a Ravens fan telling us not to complain about a bad call is like the Incredible Hulk telling Gandhi he has anger issues.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
sw04ca
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24551

I remember thinking that might have been just short as well, but after looking at it in slow-mo (for about 15 minutes! The damn game lasted 4 hours!) it was really, really close. I think it was probably the right call.

Don't blame the refs, blame the featherbed soft Chargers team. There's a reason that those guys never have gone anywhere and never will.
sw04ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #15
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
Norv Turner must have something on AJ Smith. How does he still have a job?
Im with you, Norv is TERRIBLE and should be dropped ASAP!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #16
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1 View Post
Well, I guess Ray Rice is 8 1/2 feet tall then. Since his knee is down short of the 35 and the ball is clutched to his chest, he'd have to be to spot the ball where they had it. Doesn't take high tech equipment to know 2 yards = 6 feet, which is how far in front of the knee being down they originally spotted the ball.

If you still don't get it, why don't you do an experiment so you can visualize it.
I'd be willing to bet your taller than Ray Rice, so we'll give you the benefit of an extra couple of inches.
Now, there was green space between the white 35 yard line and the knee down. So at best it was an inch short of the line. More likely 3-6 inches short.
Knee was down with ball to chest, body leaning forward, but knee and upper leg straight up. Even if he was sprawled out, which he wasn't the most the ball could advance was if you measured from the top of his knee to the upper chest. Again that's best case scenario. Realistically, should have been from just below the waist to mid chest.

For this experiment, why don't you take the full benefit of the doubt and measure from your knees to your shoulders. If you come up with more than 4 ft, then I guess you're correct. The refs gave him more than 4 1/2 feet from knee down on the respot. Over 6 feet before the review.

He was short and there's not much doubt. yet the call was indeed blown.

Hope the experiment helps you understand. I realize you may be challenged a bit and I'm just trying to help you out.
The Following User Says Thank You to steelerchad For This Useful Post:
stairway27 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #17
Nevermore
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14524

Quote:
Hope the experiment helps you understand. I realize you may be challenged a bit and I'm just trying to help you out.
Refs spotted it live. Then they reviewed it and re-spotted it. Then they measured. And it was a first down. Get over it. Regardless of what you "think" or "know" or "think you know" the ruling in the game by the people who make the call was it was a first down. Case closed.

"just trying to help you out."
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #18
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

Regardless of the situation or the team I like to call them honestly as I see them.
Steelerchad is spot on with his accessment, knees are down at the 35, ball in his chest,
at best the ball should've been placed just shy or at the 34.
Without clear sideline shots it was mainly a guessing game.
The 33 1/2 yard line was way off the mark.
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #19
i82much
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11562

Quote:
Well, I guess Ray Rice is 8 1/2 feet tall then. Since his knee is down short of the 35 and the ball is clutched to his chest, he'd have to be to spot the ball where they had it. Doesn't take high tech equipment to know 2 yards = 6 feet, which is how far in front of the knee being down they originally spotted the ball.

If you still don't get it, why don't you do an experiment so you can visualize it.
I'd be willing to bet your taller than Ray Rice, so we'll give you the benefit of an extra couple of inches.
Now, there was green space between the white 35 yard line and the knee down. So at best it was an inch short of the line. More likely 3-6 inches short.
Knee was down with ball to chest, body leaning forward, but knee and upper leg straight up. Even if he was sprawled out, which he wasn't the most the ball could advance was if you measured from the top of his knee to the upper chest. Again that's best case scenario. Realistically, should have been from just below the waist to mid chest.

For this experiment, why don't you take the full benefit of the doubt and measure from your knees to your shoulders. If you come up with more than 4 ft, then I guess you're correct. The refs gave him more than 4 1/2 feet from knee down on the respot. Over 6 feet before the review.

He was short and there's not much doubt. yet the call was indeed blown.

You couldn't even tell from the broadcast where the official 1st down marker was, much less from the replay exactly where the ball should have been spotted.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
You couldn't even tell from the broadcast where the official 1st down marker was, much less from the replay exactly where the ball should have been spotted.
You sure about that.
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1791369/ricedown.gif