Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911
Default Re: Why do we cycle so many running backs?

with the way the game is played today, emphasizing the passing game with specialized players, there is no-need to have a featured back, ala Marion Motley, Jim Brown, Larry Csonka, Earl Campbell, or Jerome Bettis:
today, these players would've been converted to Tight Ends before the got their Driver's License

not my preference, just the way it is
Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Terminator
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24492
Thanked 1,084 Times in 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
with the way the game is played today, emphasizing the passing game with specialized players, there is no-need to have a featured back
Ray Rice
Frank Gore
Marshawn Lynch
Adrian Peterson
Arian Foster
Trent Richardson
Doug Martin
Matt Forte

Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,530 Times in 3,142 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i was pissed when buffalo drafted marshawn lynch ahead of us, i wanted that guy
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048
Thanked 1,051 Times in 441 Posts

Ray Graham anyone?
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802

1) We're cycling through as many RBs for multiple reasons - not the least of which, as punishment (some it deserved - some I'm not so sure). Tomlin could not have been impressed with ALL of his backs fumbling...honestly, I can't blame him for assuming that, you know, maybe one of them would keep a hold of the ball through the course of a game, but...ya know...this is the NFL...assume nothing. Negative reinforcement will often work (like most people, players do generally want to keep their jobs) - but, if overused, players might become desensitized or even jaded towards the coaches or even the team in general. This may eventually result in a wounded morale - something the Steelers really can't afford right now.

2) Tomlin and Haley might be doing some gameday experiments with the backs that we have - although risky, this would (in theory) be a good opportunity to evaluate what our backs, and determine where their strengths and weaknesses may lie. While it could pay off in giving our backs the chance to show us what they're made of, doing so on gameday is risky, and could easily lead to some wildly unpredictable results.

3) They may be trying to confuse the opposing team by rotating the backs and hoping that the other team will be thrown off by the flurry of different players. It also allows our backs to potentially minimize individual injuries by spreading it across multiple players. This isn't necessarily a bad idea - but, seeing as how our offense is in the midst of yet another identity crisis, I'm not convinced that opposing teams will be fooled by the rushers we have, given their apparent mediocrity. I'm not saying they all suck, or will always suck - but, they lack individual identities, and as a consequence, instead of differences, we see among them a universal penchant for getting stuffed and/or flagged on every other play. Oh, yeah...and that thing fumbling thing.

With the last game though, of the reasons I listed, the first one is probably the most likely to be true. Regardless, all three will have their pros and cons. We'll see how our RBs respond next week.