Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
Terminator
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24492
Thanked 1,008 Times in 401 Posts
Default Re: Ask a RB how friendly "players coach" Tomlin is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
the Wallace from the first half of that season. I haven't seen him since.
His touchdown against the Titans was sick. He burned that entire defense.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
If we don't make it to 8-8 or 9-7, and then you see a repeat next season - then I'll start saying Tomlin needs to do something ASAP do get out of the Rooney doghouse. If it gets 1999 bad for a few seasons - then yes, some shit needs to be re-evaluated - but we're not near that point at all. Cowher had some bad ones, and they didn't pull the trigger.

I do think though, what is unique about this situation - is that they have about a 5 or 6 season window to win another championship or two. Cowher was trying to get by without the luxury of a franchise QB. This team has been loaded with talent - but some of the talent is falling by the wayside (and some of it happening a lot earlier than expected - Mendenhall will go down as a huge bust and Wallace will be nothing more than a flash in the pan)

You really think the Rooney's would give Tomlin 3 failing seasons in a row with this roster?...with a HOF QB? God I hope not. I hope we don't have to find that out.

HUGE difference between Cowher and now...you pointed out the most obvious fact. Also worth mentioning... In Cowher's first 6 years..he won the division 5 X, 3 AFCC appearances, and a SB. What makes it impressive is the situation he took on. VERY different then what Tomlin took over... with the QB situation...I think Cowher earned the right to have a few bad seasons... everyone knew the talent he had wasn't good. Tomlin's situation is completely different. No way has he earned the right to deliver 3 bad seasons in a row... 2011 was a fail... 2012 is not looking good...if we don't win a playoff game this year..and next year..he's gotta be gone.

Frankly I don't see it happening... this is a QB league..and with Ben on the roster and a good defense...it would take some seriously bad coaching to not win with that. Even if this season is a failure..I don't think it happens 3 years in a row.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,377 Times in 2,077 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
You really think the Rooney's would give Tomlin 3 failing seasons in a row with this roster?...with a HOF QB? God I hope not. I hope we don't have to find that out.

HUGE difference between Cowher and now...you pointed out the most obvious fact. Also worth mentioning... In Cowher's first 6 years..he won the division 5 X, 3 AFCC appearances, and a SB. What makes it impressive is the situation he took on. VERY different then what Tomlin took over... with the QB situation...I think Cowher earned the right to have a few bad seasons... everyone knew the talent he had wasn't good. Tomlin's situation is completely different. No way has he earned the right to deliver 3 bad seasons in a row... 2011 was a fail... 2012 is not looking good...if we don't win a playoff game this year..and next year..he's gotta be gone.

Frankly I don't see it happening... this is a QB league..and with Ben on the roster and a good defense...it would take some seriously bad coaching to not win with that. Even if this season is a failure..I don't think it happens 3 years in a row.
Somehow, Tomlin is having to deal with a LOT more injuries - I think that is the equalizer. I think you might agree with me that Steeler Nation would be expecting wins if Ben is in there, regardless of who else is out. Green Bay proved you can win with a decimated roster.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
jtbsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 18760

Tomlin seems like an idiot sometimes.
jtbsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

This season is yet another epic fail by coach Tomlin. How does a team with Superbowl aspirations come up this short? Just like 2009... we can't beat the worst of teams due to lack of focus or preparation by the coaching staff and the players. I seriously think Tomlin will be coaching to keep his job next year. I can't believe the Rooney's will tolerate anything less after this debacle of a season.

Jeebus, can't we keep things in perspective? One bad season, and few rough games, and we are back on the "Tomlin fighting for his job" train?

2007: 10-6, DIV title, playoffs

2008: 12-4, SB Ring #6, DIV title, epic defense

2009: 9-7, no playoffs (uh-oh, Cowher NEVER had that happen to him after winning a SB)

2010: 12-4, SB loss, DIV title

2011: 12-4, playoffs

2012: 6-5 and still counting...

Tomlin's not going anywhere.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

2011 ....12-4 and a loss to Tim Tebow in the Wildcard game!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
jtbsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 18760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
This season is yet another epic fail by coach Tomlin. How does a team with Superbowl aspirations come up this short? Just like 2009... we can't beat the worst of teams due to lack of focus or preparation by the coaching staff and the players. I seriously think Tomlin will be coaching to keep his job next year. I can't believe the Rooney's will tolerate anything less after this debacle of a season.

Jeebus, can't we keep things in perspective? One bad season, and few rough games, and we are back on the "Tomlin fighting for his job" train?

2007: 10-6, DIV title, playoffs

2008: 12-4, SB Ring #6, DIV title, epic defense

2009: 9-7, no playoffs (uh-oh, Cowher NEVER had that happen to him after winning a SB)

2010: 12-4, SB loss, DIV title

2011: 12-4, playoffs

2012: 6-5 and still counting...

Tomlin's not going anywhere.....
Tomlin, plays a bright man in the movies. During the games are his reality. He looks clueless EVEN when the team is winning. Ala, the time management etc.
jtbsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #18
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Mike Tomlin is "The Time Manager" and for Mike Tomlin, he's gonna' find out that being a Time Manager is harder than it looks!

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
Old 11-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #19
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,394 Times in 3,082 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

the problem is we don't have a starting running back, they're all equally bad.

I do like redman though, but he's primarily a short yardage back, he's not starter caliber
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #20
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
the problem is we don't have a starting running back, they're all equally bad.

I do like redman though, but he's primarily a short yardage back, he's not starter caliber
Keep Redman and Dwyer I say. Go Corner or Safety in 1st and 2nd, RB in third IMO

Look into my eyes
SF Haters