Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #51
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,971 Times in 1,922 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Time to start the Brian Hoyer era in Pittsburgh?

yup - good points - we need to get a 2nd stringer that practices on a regular basis, even if he just gets 1 day a week where he gets at least a few sets of downs with everyone

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
AndyWitmyer (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #52
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Batch hadn't played in forever and his rust showed...i do think it's time for him to begin the next phase in his career and Jerod Johnson could have held a clipboard for at least 3-4 years like Aaron Rodgers did
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #53
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
Batch hadn't played in forever and his rust showed...i do think it's time for him to begin the next phase in his career and Jerod Johnson could have held a clipboard for at least 3-4 years like Aaron Rodgers did
I will say this for Batch - he's one of the most loyal and unselfish players I've seen - his demeanor has always been as classy as it gets - a real team player. He lives in Pittsburgh, he loves Pittsburgh, he breathes Pittsburgh. He is the leader of the player's union and is widely respected (look at the Ravens fan who came here in peace just to give the man props).

He will almost assuredly retire this year - and while I do think he might have a win or two left in him, if he would be asked to fill in for a slew of games, those last one or two wins aren't going to amount to much if the rest are losses. But, here's the thing: the players also respect him a great deal. He could be the most well-liked player in the team (although, I have no statistic to prove that assumption).

So yeah, when he does retire this year (and he will), the Steelers would do well to retain in some capacity as an assistant coach of some form, or even a coordinator if necessary. He knows the team and the team knows him. While Batch may no longer be in shape to play for 60 minutes the truth is, in the Roethlisberger-era, no other backup QB has started and won as many games. If he wants to retire from football entirely, well...that would be a shame, but I'd wish him well. But should he desire to stay on board in some capacity - I think that would great.

He'd be a great mentor for the rookie back up - and possibly future starting QBs - that will inevitably be drafted over the next ten years. I guess we'll see what happens. But I still love Charlie, regardless.

Last edited by AndyWitmyer; 11-26-2012 at 02:37 PM.
AndyWitmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyWitmyer For This Useful Post:
kent (12-03-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #54
jtbsteeler
Starter

Member Number: 18760

Batch and Leftwich better be gone next spring. Tomlin screwed the pooch by keeping them and letting the young guy walk this summer. I guess he needed proof and it's cost us two games.

I'm proud of this defense, by the way.
jtbsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #55
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,971 Times in 1,922 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWitmyer View Post
I will say this for Batch - he's one of the most loyal and unselfish players I've seen - his demeanor has always been as classy as it gets - a real team player. He lives in Pittsburgh, he loves Pittsburgh, he breathes Pittsburgh. He is the leader of the player's union and is widely respected (look at the Ravens fan who came here in peace just to give the man props).

He will almost assuredly retire this year - and while I do think he might have a win or two left in him, if he would be asked to fill in for a slew of games, those or two games aren't going to amount to much. But, here's the thing: the players also respect him a great deal. He could be the most well-liked player in the team (although, I have no statistic to prove that assumption).

So yeah, when he does retire this year (and he will), the Steelers would do well to retain in some capacity as an assistant coach of some form, or even a coordinator if necessary. He knows the team and the team knows him. While Batch may no longer be in shape to play for 60 minutes the truth is, in the Roethlisberger-era, no other backup QB has started and won as many games. If he wants to retire from football entirely, well...that would be a shame, but I'd wish him well. But should he desire to stay on board in some capacity - I think that would great.

He'd be a great mentor for the rookie back up - and possibly future starting QBs - that will inevitably be drafted over the next ten years. I guess we'll see what happens. But I still love Charlie, regardless.
I have no doubts that you will either see him or Hines Ward or both back on the Steelers sideline someday. The guy has the makings of a great QB coach IMO.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
AndyWitmyer (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #56
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

They're now reporting on ESPN after Mortensen's talks with the team that they don't know for sure....but its highly likely that Ben will try and go this Sunday. We'll see what happens
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #57
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
They're now reporting on ESPN after Mortensen's talks with the teams that they don't know for sure....but its highly likely that Ben will try and go this Sunday. We'll see what happens
I certainly hope so!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #58
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I am not going to wade through a bunch of old posts but I know that I was clamoring for a younger guy to be drafted in one of the later rounds or possibly an undrafted free agent to be our backup. By all means keep one of the veterans but if the right young man was available take a chance on him. I liked Jerrod Johnson and would of liked to see him get a chance but keeping two OLD veterans was a recipe for disaster behind our line. As any one can see now that without Ben the last few years this offence would be nothing, our line has improved but is no where as good as we once were.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #59
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Grumpy

Fingers crossed for Bens healthy return but if not how can Tomlin consider starting Batch after yesterday's horrid Preformance. Batch should have his helmet and pads locked away for eternity! Start Hoyer
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #60
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

It's tough. We have to win this week, but I don't want to see Ben man up himself into a season, or career, ending injury, and if you don't think it could happen like that, ask anyone who remembers Bradshaw's last game.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote