Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #21
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,971 Times in 1,922 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Controlling our own destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
NFL seasons are all about what you did last Sunday. Consider the Giants, media darlings... they have sucked the past few weeks but beat up on the Packers and will now be contenders again. All it will take is beating the Ratbirds next week (please return Ben!!!) and we can mount a hot streak and finish 10-6, earn a WC and make a run. If Ben misses two more games, we are TOAST. This is a QB league. Beyond Ben, our injuries are no worse than half a dozen other teams.
dude, not too many teams are without their HOF QB, #1 WR, half the O-line, a former 1st rounder who has packed it in, and a Pro bowl receiver who has packed it in. The amount of injuries is unique, combined with the contract situations - this team needs a miracle

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #22
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
Love the GIF too. I knew he was short the second I saw it live on TV. But as I see it, this was a GIFt for the Steelers as it virtually eliminates the Chargers from the playoffs.
Man I wish I could be more optimistic, but I feel like Clark Griswold right now in Christmas Vacation...."we're at the threshold of Hell"

Its really all the fffing injuries that is doing it.....

Woodley
Colon
Ben
Brown
Adams
DeCastro
Cotchery
Troy
Gilbert

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #23
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
Despite this loss, the Steelers control their own destiny for a playoff spot. If anything, it has made it clearer that we will be fighting for a wildcard spot and not a division championship.

EVEN if Ben does not play next week and we lose to the Ravens and EVEN if the Bengals win next week. .. if we win the games that we are supposed to win with a healthy Ben - we should make the playoffs.

(ironically, we should root for the Ravens to beat the Chargers today to help our chances of making a wildcard)

If Ben becomes injured again, then really - what's the point of making the playoffs.

Which leads me to our pitiful backup QB position. It is clear to me that neither Leftwich nor Batch are the long term answers to this position. Tomlin and Colbert have clung on these two as security blankets but their age and limited skills have revealed themselves against NFL competition.

If Hoyer has a descent arm - then I would quickly ramp him up to be the #1 backup and I would not object to the Steelers investing a third or fourth round pick next year for a higher quality QB or grab someone more PROVEN in the free agent market that can run an NFL offense . I hate to admit this but even a Colt McCoy would have given me more confidence than Batch or Leftwich right now.

Anyways, I still feel positive about the current Steeler situation and stand by my prediction that we will go to the Super Bowl this year. I think the Steelers have one of the more complete teams in the NFL when they get their running game sorted out - and Ben coming back will prevent opposing defenses from putting 8 in the box to stuff the run. We have the top NFL defense which always gives us a chance no matter who we play in the playoffs.

Yea, sure if we go 4-1 to finish the season then we probably get in... What have we done to make you think we can go 4-1? Sure it's possible, but it's a long shot...and if we do manage to finish 10-6 ... do you really believe we can win a playoff game? Sorry to be a pessimist but I think I'm being truthful.

Every team has injuries...we have a ton of them... the problem is our injuries are to key players... obviously with out Ben we are going no where. Then take away our #1 WR, half our O-line, and Troy and you've got a team with real problems. With our current healthy roster - I'd say we might be the worst team in the league.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #24
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
NFL seasons are all about what you did last Sunday. Consider the Giants, media darlings... they have sucked the past few weeks but beat up on the Packers and will now be contenders again. All it will take is beating the Ratbirds next week (please return Ben!!!) and we can mount a hot streak and finish 10-6, earn a WC and make a run. If Ben misses two more games, we are TOAST. This is a QB league. Beyond Ben, our injuries are no worse than half a dozen other teams.
The Giants are the Champions, they deserve to be media darlings.

The giants were worn down, made it to bye week and came back strong. The Steelers bye was way to early. That will come into play in a few weeks, especially with the older players.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
The Giants are the Champions, they deserve to be media darlings.

The giants were worn down, made it to bye week and came back strong. The Steelers bye was way to early. That will come into play in a few weeks, especially with the older players.
Last year is last year. They are not the champions of 2012 season. They got spanked 3 weeks in a row, win one game against a good team and they are a "SUPERPOWER" again. My point is that the NFL, more than any other sport, is all about what you just did. When a team loses they are forgotten and when they win they are contenders.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #26
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
dude, not too many teams are without their HOF QB, #1 WR, half the O-line, a former 1st rounder who has packed it in, and a Pro bowl receiver who has packed it in. The amount of injuries is unique, combined with the contract situations - this team needs a miracle
Who is the 1st rounder who has packed it in? I hope you don't mean Wallace because if you do you don't follow the draft much.

AB will be back and we are ALWAYS without half of our OL... every year. Get Ben back and we will make it.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #27
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
Yea, sure if we go 4-1 to finish the season then we probably get in... What have we done to make you think we can go 4-1? Sure it's possible, but it's a long shot...and if we do manage to finish 10-6 ... do you really believe we can win a playoff game? Sorry to be a pessimist but I think I'm being truthful.
Quick question: with a healthy Ben - do you think we can beat the chargers, browns and bengals at home and the cowboys in Dallas?

If you say yes then you've answered your own question
Old 11-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #28
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,971 Times in 1,922 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Who is the 1st rounder who has packed it in? I hope you don't mean Wallace because if you do you don't follow the draft much.

AB will be back and we are ALWAYS without half of our OL... every year. Get Ben back and we will make it.
way to glance over the "pro bowl receiver who has packed it in" - and he sure has. I meant Mendy as the 1st rounder.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #29
torpedoshell31
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24438

Looking at the Bengals schedule they play in order-at San Diego,home against the Cowboys,at the Eagles,at the Steelers and home against the Ravens. If the Steelers beat them in week 16 we would hold the tie-breaker against them, having beat them twice.
The game at the Eagles could be tougher than it looks if Vick is back by then, and the last game might matter to the Ravens if they are playing for a first round bye. If Ben is back by the Chargers game I think we have the advantage over the Bengals going down the stretch.
torpedoshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #30
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
way to glance over the "pro bowl receiver who has packed it in" - and he sure has. I meant Mendy as the 1st rounder.
I'm not sure that Mendy has "packed it in." I just don't think he is that talented. It's hard to believe that he is still only 25. He seems over the hill.