Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach
 
ZoneBlitzer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,969
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16775
Thanks: 268
Thanked 518 Times in 280 Posts
My Mood: Doubtful
Default Re: Ask a RB how friendly "players coach" Tomlin is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbsteeler View Post
Tomlin seems like an idiot sometimes.
Yup. The silly mind games of pulling each RB for the fumbles was juvenile. It sends the wrong message and undermines a players confidence.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZoneBlitzer For This Useful Post:
Terminator (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #22
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach
 
AndyWitmyer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Altoona, PA
Posts: 1,143
Gender: Male
Member Number: 14802
Thanks: 241
Thanked 57 Times in 43 Posts
Default Re: Ask a RB how friendly "players coach" Tomlin is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
Yup. The silly mind games of pulling each RB for the fumbles was juvenile. It sends the wrong message and undermines a players confidence.
It's definitely going to have a negative impact on morale - maybe if Tomlin had benched of the backs, as a statement, that might been acceptable. Benching multiple backs sends players the message that they suck, and they're not worthy of playing this game and they're certainly not worthy of donning a Steelers jersey. When multiple players begin to feel resentful, you run the risk of pissing off the rest of the team in general. A sustained atmosphere of negativity in the Steelers locker room would be disastrous and should be avoided at all costs.
__________________
Having a signature is overrated.
AndyWitmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #23
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod
 
Fire Arians's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 10,251
Member Number: 16570
Thanks: 1,726
Thanked 6,454 Times in 2,742 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Ask a RB how friendly "players coach" Tomlin is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWitmyer View Post
It's definitely going to have a negative impact on morale - maybe if Tomlin had benched of the backs, as a statement, that might been acceptable. Benching multiple backs sends players the message that they suck, and they're not worthy of playing this game and they're certainly not worthy of donning a Steelers jersey. When multiple players begin to feel resentful, you run the risk of pissing off the rest of the team in general. A sustained atmosphere of negativity in the Steelers locker room would be disastrous and should be avoided at all costs.
It is what it is, maybe that is the case
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #24
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach
 
AndyWitmyer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Altoona, PA
Posts: 1,143
Gender: Male
Member Number: 14802
Thanks: 241
Thanked 57 Times in 43 Posts
Default Re: Ask a RB how friendly "players coach" Tomlin is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
It is what it is, maybe that is the case
You know, when I re-read what I wrote, I kinda thought the same thing. lol
__________________
Having a signature is overrated.
AndyWitmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #25
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 7,241
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 53,491
Thanked 8,974 Times in 3,716 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Ask a RB how friendly "players coach" Tomlin is...

when Tomlin first sat Mendenhall, he wasn't anticipating a Redman fumble.

and you know when he put Redman out of the game, he wasn't anticipating a Dwyer fumble.

What was he suppose to do? Then Mendenhall gets another chance and fumbles again! What was he suppose to do then? "Well, if you're going to keep fumbling then there's nothing I can do about it, just go out and have fun!"
__________________
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #26
FrancoLambert
Team President
 
FrancoLambert's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: tony soprano's neighborhood
Posts: 2,018
Gender: Male
Member Number: 20827
Thanks: 1,980
Thanked 1,671 Times in 869 Posts
Default Re: Ask a RB how friendly "players coach" Tomlin is...

I like how Tomlin "rotated" his running backs.
It was harsh but necessary. Forget the feelings, in the NFL performance counts.
Questions at QB, questions at RB, questions at OL........we need answers.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #27
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 684
Member Number: 19049
Thanks: 380
Thanked 465 Times in 235 Posts
Default Re: Ask a RB how friendly "players coach" Tomlin is...

It was just a fluke.
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #28
jjpro11
Living Legend
 
jjpro11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Near Cleveland
Posts: 4,042
Member Number: 3559
Thanks: 0
Thanked 146 Times in 68 Posts
Default Re: Ask a RB how friendly "players coach" Tomlin is...

Funny.. A couple weeks ago we were loaded at RB. Now all of a sudden we have nobody capable of running the ball. I think everyone is overreacting a bit too much. Yesterday was the fluke of all flukes.

How many times in your lifetime have you ever seen four different running backs lose fumbles? I don't know that it has ever happened in the NFL before. Cleveland was basically able to stack the box and beg us to throw. When you have a QB who is not capable of going deep, everything becomes crowded up front. Couple that with the fact that we had two linemen go down, and it was just a complete disaster up and down.

I am not going to write off the RBs until I see them all fail with a healthy oline and Ben on the field. They've all shown the ability to get it done in the past. They didn't all of a sudden forget how to run with the football.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjpro11 For This Useful Post:
zcoop (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #29
Terminator
Team Captain
 
Terminator's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 873
Member Number: 24492
Thanks: 420
Thanked 640 Times in 245 Posts
Default Re: Ask a RB how friendly "players coach" Tomlin is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
Funny.. A couple weeks ago we were loaded at RB. Now all of a sudden we have nobody capable of running the ball. I think everyone is overreacting a bit too much. Yesterday was the fluke of all flukes.

How many times in your lifetime have you ever seen four different running backs lose fumbles? I don't know that it has ever happened in the NFL before. Cleveland was basically able to stack the box and beg us to throw. When you have a QB who is not capable of going deep, everything becomes crowded up front. Couple that with the fact that we had two linemen go down, and it was just a complete disaster up and down.

I am not going to write off the RBs until I see them all fail with a healthy oline and Ben on the field. They've all shown the ability to get it done in the past. They didn't all of a sudden forget how to run with the football.

If Charlie Batch is physically incapable of throwing a proper football pass, then he has no fucking business being in this sport anymore and I blame Tomlin for playing him.

I don't give 2 shits if Hoyer shits the bed. If he can throw the ball (which he can, I've seen his work), then start him.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #30
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,806
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,260
Thanked 7,255 Times in 3,256 Posts
Default Re: Ask a RB how friendly "players coach" Tomlin is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

tomlin obviously seems to favor veterans he feels he can trust.
That and being stubborn (e.g. - going for 2 from the 12 yard line after a holding penalty in the Jax playoff game his first year) are his greatest weaknesses as a coach. Art Rooney has been bitching about yoiunger players not getting opportunities and the Batch/Leftwich combo platter as backups is the latest problem with that practice

Leftwich did not make it out of preseason in 2010 and 2011 but Tomlin kept Batch & Leftwich as the backups - now the Steelers have an injured Lefwtich and a 38 year old Tomlin has never liked who cannot throw a deep ball or an out pattern

Once he yanked Mendnhall after the fumble (after Mendenhall got the start over Dwyer as the vet rather than as the better performer) Tomlin was locked into pulling whomever fumbled - he lucked out with Rainey scoring on short yardage to end the half but Redman should have been in for that play up the middle

I guess Byron Batch starts this weekend since all 4 RBs fumbled

But it is a journeymen group of RBs - the only player Tomlin needs to satisfy on offense is Ben (which is why Tomlin had to be forced to ax Arians)
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
tony hipchest (11-26-2012)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts