Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default One trick pony....

...at it again.

I am tired of Mike Wallace. I have been trying to make all the standard fan mental excuses and rationalizing keeping him around, but I cannot any longer.

Folks keep saying we need him, 'he opens things up for Antonio Brown'. Sorry, but I think it is the exact opposite.

In the last two weeks without Brown, I have seen ZILCH from Wallace. Opposing defenses no longer fear him in the deep passing game-- they know that if the ball is not right on his hands, he will just watch it hit the ground or let it get intercepted. There is no second effort from him at all.

He cannot run an intermediate route or catch the ball to save his life. Against the Bengals, he dropped 4 very catchable balls, and left 14 points on the field by himself. Yesterday, he watched a very catchable ball bounce off his hands right into the waiting hands of a Browns defender.

I understand the frustrations of being a WR when a backup QB is playing. But elite players will gladly sacfrifice their highlight reel for a week to make the needed plays to help their team get the win (aka Hines Ward/Antonio Brown), while guys like Mike Wallace will only make a lackluster, Randy Moss-like, half-hearted effort to go after the less than perfectly thrown passes.

As a WR, if it hits your hands-- YOU SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT IT! No excuses.

He is hurting this offense in much the same way as Randy Moss hurts teams now. All those drops and half-azzed efforts could have been big plays or TDs if the ball were given to other players with more desire. Guys like Wallace and Randy Moss take touches away from players who will get us the win.

I am NOT blaming the entire loss on him (the 6 fumbles by RBs deserves a thread of its own), but a sure share of the losses this season can be blamed on Wallace.

If he converts even a couple of those stupid drops into catches, we win at least two more games this year that we lost close.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,719 Times in 3,217 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: One trick pony....

sanders has been outplaying wallace, he seems to be the only WR other than brown who is busting his ass and stepping up to the challenge.

let him walk, sanders and brown are the future of the steeler WR corps

wallace is more talented than brown & sanders put together, but the difference is those two are fighters with a great work ethic. I'll take that any day over talent that's not willing to put in the work. if we pay wallace, mark my words, this team will go south. nothing sends a worse message to the team than paying someone who half asses his shit, that just tells everyone else it's ok to do the same.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Right now, we are seeing who the most valuable players are on the offensive side of the ball: Big Ben and Antonio Brown. Mike Wallace, is NOT it.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Right now, we are seeing who the most valuable players are on the offensive side of the ball: Big Ben and Antonio Brown. Mike Wallace, is NOT it.
sanders I believe will start taking on a bigger role in this offense. It's only a matter of time before todd haley blows up at wallace for his lack of effort
Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Manny Sanders has been outplaying Wallace. He's already become a much well-rounded player. Sanders worked hard coming back from his setbacks and has earned a new contract and a spot alongside Brown for years to come.

Wallace, along with Mendenhall, can take a hike this offseason. All the talent in the world isn't worth stomaching lackluster effort.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Manny Sanders has been outplaying Wallace. He's already become a much well-rounded player. Sanders worked hard coming back from his setbacks and has earned a new contract and a spot alongside Brown for years to come.

Wallace, along with Mendenhall, can take a hike this offseason.
Burress will probably have more receptions against the Ravens than Wallace. I am surprised he is not in the Tomlin dog house. The only thing he can do is run a post pattern. Over the middle, forget it. Doen't like contact.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

He has to have to the ball delivered to him to be effective. Neither Lefty nor Batch can do it. Even with Ben in this Dink and Dunk system its difficult. Y'all maybe right though, it may be time to part with him and let him go to a system that he can use his talent, if it can't be used in the burgh.

Let him go.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
sanders has been outplaying wallace, he seems to be the only WR other than brown who is busting his ass and stepping up to the challenge.

let him walk, sanders and brown are the future of the steeler WR corps

wallace is more talented than brown & sanders put together, but the difference is those two are fighters with a great work ethic. I'll take that any day over talent that's not willing to put in the work. if we pay wallace, mark my words, this team will go south. nothing sends a worse message to the team than paying someone who half asses his shit, that just tells everyone else it's ok to do the same.
Sorry got to disagree. Brown is way more talented than Wallace. He's got better hands and is a beautiful open field runner. Wallace has pure straight away speed but he's not as elusive a runner as Brown.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZoneBlitzer For This Useful Post:
TheVet (11-27-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
Sorry got to disagree. Brown is way more talented than Wallace. He's got better hands and is a beautiful open field runner. Wallace has pure straight away speed but he's not as elusive a runner as Brown.
May be debatable, but hands / route running I put under the skill category as opposed to talent. Then again, quickness is different than speed and Brown definitely has the edge in that.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,765 Times in 4,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post

brown and sanders were also more pro-ready when they entered the NFL. they both combined for 600+ college receptions.

thats almost unheard of...