Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
SteelCity4Life
Team Captain

Member Number: 23950
Default Why? WHY the same backups?

Batch - "old, slow, and done"
Leftwhich - Awful

To those going against Jerrod Johnson in the preseason: Why? You see what we got going now? I'd take a rookie right now rather than these 2 deadheads.

Ben is the leader to allow this team to win and if he goes down "OMG, SEASON OVER!!"

Excuse me, but that's bullshit. I remember the Pack without Rodgers scoring 40+ points with their backup. We shouldn't be expecting to lose just because our star guy is out, yet the rest of the Offense has the talents to go the distance.

Does anyone really have confidence that either of these backups can carry the team? I sure the hell don't, and every time we lose Ben's it's between these two old men who both lack enough skill to help the team.

We have these talented WRs and RBs that can't do anything because the guys throwing to them are weak.

How long have these guys been our backups? Either Batch, Leftwhich, or BOTH even NEED TO GO!

But I guess 8 turnover speaks exactly to the tune of why this team can't win. But of all teams, against the filthy CLEVELAND BROWNS?? Why?? Dear god.

You know, it's pretty painful going to school within 30 miles of C town after a loss like this. I'm not gonna hear the end of it when I return to school tomorrow.

Way to go. This offense keeps this intolerable garbage up and Ben doesn't come back soon we are certainly done for the season. What a joke.

Win, loss, or tie; Steeler faithful till I die!
SteelCity4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211
Default Re: Why? WHY the same backups?

Leftwich I'm not sure. But keeping Batch was purely sentimental on the part of the Steelers because he's a local guy.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,728 Times in 3,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Leftwich I'm not sure. But keeping Batch was purely sentimental on the part of the Steelers because he's a local guy.

he was kept because he is one of the smartest guys on offense, and has proven in the past (as recently as a year ago) he can come in cold, or off the bench in a pinch and win.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

Um all that "talent" on our offense lost this game. If ALL our RB's wouldnt have fumbled, not Batch's fault, we probably dont lose. The gameplan was fine, run the ball and let Batch manage the game. He was fine until we fumbled 4 times and there was no choice but for him to try and win the game. He really only threw one int, one was all on Wallace and the other was an attempt to get a spark with a long shot downfield. Blaming Batch for this loss is just plain dumb.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

he was kept because he is one of the smartest guys on offense, and has proven in the past (as recently as a year ago) he can come in cold, or off the bench in a pinch and win.
Eh, he's proven in the past he can come in and drive the car without scratching it and get wins against bottom-feeders, but he's clearly done. His arm was shot in the preseason.

This feels like the organization "doing a solid" to a couple of long time friends. Next year, have to seriously pursue a guy like Orton/Henne/Moore and develop a young arm in the process.

Jerrod Johnson is still available. He never should have been released in the first place.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

even when Batch did come in and mop up and we won in past years, he looked like GARBAGE. I can't agree keeping him on because he's "local". Have him retire and hire him as a sideline coach.
As said above - there were plenty of much better options. We didn't address this at all - now its coming back to bite us - big time.
As mobile as Ben is, and as many defenders he jukes and jives, he's bound to get hurt sometime. He's just asking to get hurt, and hurt bad. To me, it's extremely hard to believe they didn't address this issue.....having a good, very solid backup ready to go.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,982 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
even when Batch did come in and mop up and we won in past years, he looked like GARBAGE. I can't agree keeping him on because he's "local". Have him retire and hire him as a sideline coach.
As said above - there were plenty of much better options. We didn't address this at all - now its coming back to bite us - big time.
As mobile as Ben is, and as many defenders he jukes and jives, he's bound to get hurt sometime. He's just asking to get hurt, and hurt bad. To me, it's extremely hard to believe they didn't address this issue.....having a good, very solid backup ready to go.
I think you can make an argument that Charlie was improving a little as the game dragged on. It was up to the running backs to take the pressure off of him so he could get into a rhythm. It was also up to someone from the mash WR group to get separation outside of Sanders. Miller was a better receiver than Wallace in that game. Wallace is 0% dependable in clutch situations - or we need a difference maker. Cotchery has made bigger catches than Wallace has. Wallace has had 1 good game this season. End of story. It isn't all on Charlie. The RB group needs to walk around for a week with the ball in hand.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

The problem is Leftwitch cannot play 4 Quarters without getting hurt. Batch is a solid 3 man.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
The problem is Leftwitch cannot play 4 Quarters without getting hurt. Batch is a solid 3 man.
Not at 38 years old. His arm is shot. Agree on Lefty - he's Mr. Glass.

maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
SteelCity4Life
Team Captain

Member Number: 23950

I reminisce in the thread originally started by me.

Leftwhich certainly shouldn't still be here. I'll give Batch the edge but they're both less than stellar. But I digress; the RBs were our latest downfall.

With Antonio Brown back, hopefully this offense will step up and maybe Batch starting can be overlooked. I sure hope so. 3 divisional losses in a row is intolerable.

I agree with most of you who have replied.

Win, loss, or tie; Steeler faithful till I die!
SteelCity4Life is offline   Reply With Quote