Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,140 Times in 1,987 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: How to replace Mendenhall....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
new depth chart is out for this week via bouchette tweet.

dwyer #1
mendenhall #3

(im assuming redman is #2)

so there we go.
thanks for the info - makes sense to me

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Why cut Rainey??? If anything, Redman and Dwyer are more than capable backups, too. No need to cut off your nose to spite your face.

Fine, get your feature back, but he can't be the only guy on the roster.
Not necessarily saying to cut Rainey, but he can't take too many carries. I'd rather have him as a return man, who occasionally comes in for runs. At this point, I'm pretty sure Mendenhall has simply packed it in. He's almost assuredly gone next year, and any mistake by a back results in being benched. he has no reason to give a shit at this point.

IMO, Dwyer needs to play hard now to be the #2 guy next year. 5 starts with zero TD's isn't going to get it done, though, and neither is falling over from exhaustion every 3rd snap. We draft a new #1 in the first few rounds, and Dwyer and Redman fight it out for #2, loser leaves town style. Rainey fills in at #3, unless Batch somehow gets his shit together.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #13
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,140 Times in 1,987 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
Not necessarily saying to cut Rainey, but he can't take too many carries. I'd rather have him as a return man, who occasionally comes in for runs. At this point, I'm pretty sure Mendenhall has simply packed it in. He's almost assuredly gone next year, and any mistake by a back results in being benched. he has no reason to give a shit at this point.

IMO, Dwyer needs to play hard now to be the #2 guy next year. 5 starts with zero TD's isn't going to get it done, though, and neither is falling over from exhaustion every 3rd snap. We draft a new #1 in the first few rounds, and Dwyer and Redman fight it out for #2, loser leaves town style. Rainey fills in at #3, unless Batch somehow gets his shit together.
If Julian Edelman or whatever his name is, and Sproles can play, so can Rainey. I think he just needs to be utilized in different ways. I say keep all 3 and get your Rb in the 3rd

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #14
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,389 Times in 4,382 Posts

There's two things we could realistically do. One of them is draft Knile Davis out of Arksansas. The other would be to trade for a guy like Ben Tate from Houston or MJD from the Jags - preferrably Tate. He's young and only has a 435 000 cap hit for the next two years. Plus, with the play of Foster, I'm not sure they need Tate as much as they once did.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

I'd part ways with Mendy as I think his contract is up. He's a serviceable back, but just hasn't lived up to his draft status. Unless he wants to settle for a pretty cheap contract, which I doubt. He was supposedly a steal where we got him.
I like Dwyer. He runs hard and even great backs like AP have dealt with fumbling issues. This day and age having a few good backs is needed as backs are always hurt. A starting back almost never makes it through an entire season. Keep Dwyer. Redman is a decent power back to spell him and Rainey has all the makings to be a quick scat back for 3rd downs.
Keep drafting a back in rounds 4-7 until you hit one you really like. Backs can be found late, it's been proven time and time again.

In this passing league, I'm not a fan of drafting a back really high unless there's someone you believe is a can't miss. We are rarely in a draft position to get a Trent Richardson type guy coming out.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
There's two things we could realistically do. One of them is draft Knile Davis out of Arksansas. The other would be to trade for a guy like Ben Tate from Houston or MJD from the Jags - preferrably Tate. He's young and only has a 435 000 cap hit for the next two years. Plus, with the play of Foster, I'm not sure they need Tate as much as they once did.
I like the Tate idea. But trades are rare in the NFL. Houston won't just hand a quality RB over for nothing, especially to a strong conference contender. What would we have to offer them anyway. Mike Wallace, maybe. Could actually help both teams. But Wallace won't be under contract after the season and I don't know Tate's situation.

We're dreaming here anyway. The Steelers will wait until the dust settles and grab the next Memo on the cheap.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,389 Times in 4,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
I like the Tate idea. But trades are rare in the NFL. Houston won't just hand a quality RB over for nothing, especially to a strong conference contender. What would we have to offer them anyway. Mike Wallace, maybe. Could actually help both teams. But Wallace won't be under contract after the season and I don't know Tate's situation.

We're dreaming here anyway. The Steelers will wait until the dust settles and grab the next Memo on the cheap.
2013 4th, 7th - 2014 3rd would grab Tate. There's no hope in hell I'm giving Wallace to an AFC team, either. I honestly think that if we got a guy like Tate and had a change of pace guy behind him like Rainey, our back situation is fixed for years to come.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,792 Times in 3,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
I'm pretty sure Mendenhall has simply packed it in. .

im pretty sure he is coming off of reconstructive knee surgery that typically keeps players out for a year, and an injured achilles tendon.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,855 Times in 2,898 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

replace him with liberace so we got somebody to dance behind our line every play

i kid i kid

I'd honestly say bring him back if he's not asking for too high of a price tag.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #20
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
new depth chart is out for this week via bouchette tweet.

dwyer #1
mendenhall #3

(im assuming redman is #2)

so there we go.
Well, Mendy must have an injury or something that he can't be the starter... Tomlin is too much of a player's coach, says too many one-liners, and a big old softie to not have Mendy starting.

I really hope that Dwyer has a decent game. I can't imagine the "Tomlin sucks because Dwyer is horrible and Mendy would have had a better game against the Ravens" talk if Dwyer craps out.