Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,878 Times in 6,113 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Mendenhall demoted … Wallace close, too

Mendenhall demoted … Wallace close, too

November 27th, 2012
Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

The depth chart that’s released by the Steelers every Tuesday is just a formality — nothing ever changes.

Well, except when your top running back fumbled twice the four times he touched the ball and your speedy receiver catches one pass and has some poor body language.

When the Steelers released its depth chart for Sunday’s game against Ravens, Rashard Mendenhall was demoted from first-team running back to third string. Jonathan Dwyer is now listed as the starter. Isaac Redman remained as the No. 2.

Also, Mike Wallace was always listed as the starting receiver along with Antonio Brown. Now, the depth chart reads Mike Wallace OR Emmanuel Sanders as the starter.

Obviously, the Steelers and Mike Tomlin is not very happy with either guy.

This very well could be a ploy by Tomlin to motivate the two players. It would’ve been just as easy to not change the official depth chart and go about your plan to not play Mendenhall or Wallace. But for the Steelers to make it official in one of their weekly releases tell me motivation might be a reason why.

However and ironically, both are in the final year of their rookie deals.

I guess we can assume that the either Mendenhall and Wallace won’t be on the top of the Steelers free agent list in March if they don’t respond like the Steelers are hoping they do.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...ace-close-too/
Old 11-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,878 Times in 6,113 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Mendenhall demoted … Wallace close, too

Jonathan Dwyer to start for Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday

By Gregg Rosenthal
Nov. 27, 2012

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin knows one player that will start in his backfield against the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday. He's just not sure who will play quarterback.

Tomlin announced Tuesday at his press conference that Jonathan Dwyer would be his starting running back primary ball carrier moving forward. Tomlin doesn't like running back committees, and he's decided Dwyer has "consistently been the most productive guy" for Pittsburgh this season.

No one ran well against the Browns during Pittsburgh's fumblefest, but Rashard Mendenhall just doesn't look 100%. Mendenhall and Isaac Redman will back up Dwyer.

There remains a chance that Ben Roethlisberger will be the one handing the ball off to Dwyer against Baltimore.

"Right now, CharlieBatch is our quarterback, we have other guys working and we will see where those guys are later in the week," Tomlin said via Steelers.com.

Those guys are Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich. Tomlin said the Steelers will leave the "door open" for Big Ben to play and that he's "got a chance" to suit up.

Tomlin also sounded very positive about Antonio Brown (ankle0 and Troy Polamalu returning to the field this week. Both players will practice Wednesday. It won't be too long before the Pittsburgh Steelers look like the Pittsburgh Steelers again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...lers-on-sunday
Old 11-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,385 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Mendenhall demoted … Wallace close, too

November 27th, 2012
Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

The depth chart that’s released by the Steelers every Tuesday is just a formality — nothing ever changes.

Well, except when your top running back fumbled twice the four times he touched the ball and your speedy receiver catches one pass and has some poor body language.

When the Steelers released its depth chart for Sunday’s game against Ravens, Rashard Mendenhall was demoted from first-team running back to third string. Jonathan Dwyer is now listed as the starter. Isaac Redman remained as the No. 2.

Also, Mike Wallace was always listed as the starting receiver along with Antonio Brown. Now, the depth chart reads Mike Wallace OR Emmanuel Sanders as the starter.

Obviously, the Steelers and Mike Tomlin is not very happy with either guy.

This very well could be a ploy by Tomlin to motivate the two players. It would’ve been just as easy to not change the official depth chart and go about your plan to not play Mendenhall or Wallace. But for the Steelers to make it official in one of their weekly releases tell me motivation might be a reason why.

However and ironically, both are in the final year of their rookie deals.

I guess we can assume that the either Mendenhall and Wallace won’t be on the top of the Steelers free agent list in March if they don’t respond like the Steelers are hoping they do.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...ace-close-too/
Yea and you know what - Sanders will be back, not Wallace. Mark it down. Wallace never helps us out in the thick of things - he'll continue to decline. Wallace doesnt have the character to rise to the occasion.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,470 Times in 3,548 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

good, give the job to someone who wants it. there's been no sense of urgency from either of the two to take their jobs, it's almost like they just expected it to be handed to them.

give me sanders over wallace anyday, they should already pencil him in as the #2 imo

in the words of mike singletary "I want players who want to win"
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
steelax04
Head Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

I'm anxious to see how the "Monday Morning Coaches" spin this move by Tomlin into how he's soft and a player's coach and is horrible.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

kaboly is making too much out of the wallace deal and clearly began writing this article before he finished hearing tomlin out at the presser.

wallace was clearly (and understandably per tomlins words) upset with his game sunday and especially because there was a noodle armed qb who was physically incapable of getting him the ball deep when he clearly had his man beat.

tomlin all but said if batch plays, those plays will be stricken from the gameplan.

this was the stretch of the season, where haley had planned to really unleash ben and wallace and take the league by storm with offensive explosion.

bens injury + byrons + injury + charlies peckerstroker = screwed up the whole gameplan.

when ben plays, wallace will be starter.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
kaboly is making too much out of the wallace deal and clearly began writing this article before he finished hearing tomlin out at the presser.

wallace was clearly (and understandably per tomlins words) upset with his game sunday and especially because there was a noodle armed qb who was physically incapable of getting him the ball deep when he clearly had his man beat.

tomlin all but said if batch plays, those plays will be stricken from the gameplan.

this was the stretch of the season, where haley had planned to really unleash ben and wallace and take the league by storm with offensive explosion.

bens injury + byrons + injury + charlies peckerstroker = screwed up the whole gameplan.

when ben plays, wallace will be starter.
But all that doesn't explain why wallace has played this way since the middle of last season. It's not just his lack of effort, I honestly don't think he has the ability to be an elite receiver in the league. He can't catch with his hands, he uses his body too much, he has never attacked the ball well, and hes a mediocre route runner. I'd rather have Sanders any day.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
tony hipchest
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

sanders is fine.

both were 3rd rounders, not highly touted coming into their respective drafts.

both bring different skill sets.

i dont think anyone can make judgements on wallac's character based on "on the field" performance.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
Terminator
Head Coach

Member Number: 24492
Thanked 1,561 Times in 635 Posts

what does "tony hipchest" mean?
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
tony hipchest
Supporter