Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #31
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,834 Times in 6,086 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Earth to Steeler Nation - we are 8-3 if Ben doesn't get hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
There is no way this team wins 3 or 4 road games in the playoffs. I'm just being a realist.
I agree, not when we can't even beat the likes of the Raiders, Titans and Browns on the road.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #32
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,639 Times in 10,397 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedoshell31 View Post
I saw Trent Dilfer on ESPN yesterday saying that the Steelers are going to win the Super Bowl. His reasoning is before Ben got hurt they were playing better than any team in the NFL. He says that if Ben comes back by the Chargers game the Steelers run the table right through the Super Bowl.
I completely agree.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:46 AM   #33
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
I agree, not when we can't even beat the likes of the Raiders, Titans and Browns on the road.
The team didn't have their shit together yet. We beat the Giants in their house and the refs spotted them 14 points. Also, if Ben plays well or Hoyer is given a chance and can just move the ball, we'll beat Baltimore in Baltimore. We'll also have a road test in Dallas which I think we will pass.

The worst case scenario would be playing 3 out of 4 games in either Baltimore, NE, Denver, or Houston. If there is not an upset then we will have to play 3 of those teams. But I'm going to stand by what I said after the Giants game, this defense is back and the offense will find a way to win. I'm not going to say this defense is up to 2008 standards, but I go by the eye test more then anything. Last years I test told me that we were the #1 defense cause we played nothing but poor teams, this years eye test shows me the spirit of Joey Porter is back in the hearts of a few of these guys, especially Ike and Timmons, and it's all about heart. Ward never caught a pass cause of speed, Miller never made a block due to his size, Harrison didn't get around guys twice his size because of nothing, it's all because of heart! We're playing with it, they just need to play with it in the games like Cleveland and Cincy too. I know it's more exciting to play certain teams at certain times, but every game is a playoff game starting vs SD.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #34
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I completely agree.
Me too. That's why I'm saying let Hoyer play and take our chances. We were one play away from beating Baltimore, Ben would have put up 14 more against them if he was able to play, that's the kind of effort we're getting from the O line and the defense. Health is the the key issue, I say you rotate a lot of these guys in and out. Polamalu should play occasionally and be used as a mental weapon IMO, Colon should get a few extra breaks if possible. Health killed us last year and I think there is a chance to prevent it from happening again. I'd like to see all the injured (except Ben) get some playing time in Baltimore to get back "in the flow", and then have them 100% for SD.And that doesn't mean we concede the Baltimore game doing that either, if we can just find a way to run we win.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #35
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,383 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
The team didn't have their shit together yet. We beat the Giants in their house and the refs spotted them 14 points. Also, if Ben plays well or Hoyer is given a chance and can just move the ball, we'll beat Baltimore in Baltimore. We'll also have a road test in Dallas which I think we will pass.

The worst case scenario would be playing 3 out of 4 games in either Baltimore, NE, Denver, or Houston. If there is not an upset then we will have to play 3 of those teams. But I'm going to stand by what I said after the Giants game, this defense is back and the offense will find a way to win. I'm not going to say this defense is up to 2008 standards, but I go by the eye test more then anything. Last years I test told me that we were the #1 defense cause we played nothing but poor teams, this years eye test shows me the spirit of Joey Porter is back in the hearts of a few of these guys, especially Ike and Timmons, and it's all about heart. Ward never caught a pass cause of speed, Miller never made a block due to his size, Harrison didn't get around guys twice his size because of nothing, it's all because of heart! We're playing with it, they just need to play with it in the games like Cleveland and Cincy too. I know it's more exciting to play certain teams at certain times, but every game is a playoff game starting vs SD.
for what it's worth your post just really fired me up - it reminds me of some of the interviews with Franco when he reflects on all of his SB winning teams. He always talks about the spirit of the Steelers and the city of Pittsburgh in general - and what happened to the way the team played and the way the fans supported them after the immaculate reception - it changed their fortunes and he said from that moment forward - there was a spark within himself and his teammates and that they wouldn't be denied. He always said they talked about will and that no matter what - they weren't going to be denied. Noll even said after they won their third that they hadn't done anything and challenged them, bet them, they didn't have what it took to win four. Even after all the accolades of 1, 2,3, they still had that desire to do it again. I believe this team needs to get healthy, and then we have as great of a shot at it than anyone else. We have been hit with the injury plague the past two seasons. It is funny how the injuries are going to improve as the reg season comes down to the last 4 or 5 games. We need to be healthy along with that heart.

From what I've been reading - this defense is licking their chops, along with Ben, waiting for their chance with all hands on deck. I read on Harrison's face book page: "Not done. Not even close." These guys still want it, but we need to have some little injury prayers answered along the way. Here's hoping
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #36
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Me too. That's why I'm saying let Hoyer play and take our chances. We were one play away from beating Baltimore, Ben would have put up 14 more against them if he was able to play, that's the kind of effort we're getting from the O line and the defense. Health is the the key issue, I say you rotate a lot of these guys in and out. Polamalu should play occasionally and be used as a mental weapon IMO, Colon should get a few extra breaks if possible. Health killed us last year and I think there is a chance to prevent it from happening again. I'd like to see all the injured (except Ben) get some playing time in Baltimore to get back "in the flow", and then have them 100% for SD.And that doesn't mean we concede the Baltimore game doing that either, if we can just find a way to run we win.
I forwarded your post to Tomlin.

He replied: "Will do."
Old 11-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #37
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,026 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Me too.
We need a lot of really good things to happen to contend for the AFC championship.
With the way we're banged up I don't see it happening. Too many areas are hurting.
What sucks is that if we were truly healthy this team could compete for it all.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #38
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Do not fret: neither the Titans, Raidahs, nor Browns will be in the play-offs.

The play-offs have good teams... aginst whom, the Steelers flourish (see: the NYGiants game from a few weeks ago).

I am sort of being "tongue in cheek"... but, not really.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #39
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,750 Times in 4,798 Posts

For guys saying that we don't have a chance to run the table because we lost to weaker teams ... shit happens. The Patriots lost to the Cardinals - at home. The Giants lost to the Bengals, a team they should have blown out. The 49ers (the most overrated team in the NFL, in my opinion) lost to the Vikings and the Texans (second most overrated) almost lost to the Jags. Again, shit happens. This team lost to weaker teams but won 4 straight overcoming adversity and piss poor officiating. Ben was finding his groove, and the offense was finally starting to gel.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #40
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Holy fuck! You think our record might be better if Ben never got hurt?

What a genius!

WE don't control shit, and the last thing anybody needs right is some holier-than-thou pom-pom waving cheerleader hiking up his skirts, prancing around, and blowing smoke up everybody's ass.
Holier-than-thou? First of all, that is not the way my original post was intended to be at all. Telling me I'm wearing a skirt, mockingly saying I'm a "genius" and calling me a "pom-pom waving cheerleader" is also out-of-line.

I'm pointing out the obvious fact that seems to be lost on many fans who are hand-wringing over Tomlin, the fumble issues and everything else. It should come as no surprise to anyone that our season has fallen apart the last two games without our starting quarterback. Were he still playing, it is a very likely chance that we would be 8-3 and in the driver's seat for a possible first-round bye and at least one home playoff game. Unfortunately, and I know that "WE don't control shit," the case is that Ben got hurt and now we are in very unstable shape.

Take it easy, guy. I was only referring to the ridiculousness of every one losing their minds over every aspect of these two losses when they can both be solely whittled down to one single injury to our quarterback. Call me a cheerleader all you want, that is a fact.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote