Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #21
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Antonio Brown overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
steeltheone - I understand what you are saying - but what makes a number 1 or game breaker for the Steelers? I see the Steelers WR corps differently than most teams. I think the collective unit is what can make them great, rather than just one guy. Basically, the variety of weapons is what was making the Steelers the most dynamic team heading into the KC game - a ton of weapons, where no one guy has to be the hero - but all contribute to moving the chains and scoring. Hell - #81 was starting to see some touches before Ben went down - so was #46.
I honestly believe a team with a franchise QB and especially one in Haley's system will generate numbers regardless.

I don't want to " dump on AB" I like him and I believe he is good and will get better and better. I just see everybody ragging on Wallace, when this group as a hole has been good but not great.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #22
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,444 Times in 1,635 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
I honestly believe a team with a franchise QB and especially one in Haley's system will generate numbers regardless.

I don't want to " dump on AB" I like him and I believe he is good and will get better and better. I just see everybody ragging on Wallace, when this group as a hole has been good but not great.
I can agree - there is always room for improvement - I would still argue that Wallace's contributions have been minimal. Teams were starting to double Brown over Wallace and Wallace still can't get open. Wallace needs to prove that this speed is more of an asset than it has been. I really hope Wallace ends the season well upon Ben's return - for his sake. I will be shocked if he is here - and I'm not sure I want him if I see the same effort. Why keep him around when that is like having one less WR on the field?

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #23
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

You got to be kidding right?? Since Brown went out with injury; have you not noticed the offence has struggled?? And that was before ben got hurt. If Wallace was a number 1; why hasn't he stepped up as one. Sanders completely outplayed him last week and Cotchery was too before he got hurt. Sometimes; you got to look past all those numbers and stats and look at the flow of the offence. With Brown; this offence opens up receptions for everyone because he is dangerous. Wallace; please!! I love his speed and if he wanted to stay for a million and a half would love to keep him. But he isn't worth nowhere near what he thinks he's gonna get. Speedsters are a dime a dozen; we will get another wallace somewhere in the future.
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to defence For This Useful Post:
MDSteel15 (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #24
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:

I would agree with your point if Wallace didn't disappear in the 2nd half last season and then ask for Fitzgerald money, hold out, and then half-ass it pretty much this whole season.

Do number 1 receivers routinely drop ever other pass that hits their hands?
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #25
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by defence View Post
You got to be kidding right?? Since Brown went out with injury; have you not noticed the offence has struggled?? And that was before ben got hurt. If Wallace was a number 1; why hasn't he stepped up as one. Sanders completely outplayed him last week and Cotchery was too before he got hurt. Sometimes; you got to look past all those numbers and stats and look at the flow of the offence. With Brown; this offence opens up receptions for everyone because he is dangerous. Wallace; please!! I love his speed and if he wanted to stay for a million and a half would love to keep him. But he isn't worth nowhere near what he thinks he's gonna get. Speedsters are a dime a dozen; we will get another wallace somewhere in the future.
we'll get another one in this year's draft IMO - they might be a half step slower than Wallace, but with better hands - which is far more valuable

I dump on Wallace because he has SOOOO much potential. He could scorch the Steelers receiving and TD record if he dropped the attitude and became a student of the game, making sure his fundamentals and effort were at the top of his list, letting his play dictate the contract instead of hopin and wishin cause what he he did compared to other receivers. They could have kicked him to the curb already - but they didnt. He is blowing his last chance.

Agree to disagree.
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Danny136200 (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #26
Cherinko
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5744

Antonio Brown is nobody amazing. Dependable starter perhaps but I wouldn't call him pro bowl material or a once in a generation talent. He only has 3 career receiving TD's. The love you see for Brown is mostly an effect of Wallace's holdout. Wallace became the bad guy and people needed a hero to put him down. And on that matter Wallace hasn't played well either.
Cherinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #27
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
we'll get another one in this year's draft IMO - they might be a half step slower than Wallace, but with better hands - which is far more valuable

I dump on Wallace because he has SOOOO much potential. He could scorch the Steelers receiving and TD record if he dropped the attitude and became a student of the game, making sure his fundamentals and effort were at the top of his list, letting his play dictate the contract instead of hopin and wishin cause what he he did compared to other receivers. They could have kicked him to the curb already - but they didnt. He is blowing his last chance.
I agree with you. He has the potential to be great. In any sport; there is always one term. "You can't teach speed". Man; we know he has it. But when you have a cement block as a brain; what can you do. Instead of sulking and playing like a pissed off shit head; he should have shown what he is really worth. But you got to ask; the guys in a contract year; do you really believe he's that stupid to be playing this poorly because he's ticked off with the steelers. I don't buy it. He is who he is. What you see on the field is Mike Wallace. He is absolutely no student of the game or he would have flourished like Brown and now Sanders are doing.
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #28
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,091 Times in 3,894 Posts

Quote:
He had 1 catch for 14 yards and no td's in that Jets game. I never argued he was not good or " solid" he is just not a number 1 or game breaker.
He had one catch for 14 yards because he was behind Wallace, Ward and Miller in terms of depth. Granted, Miller is a TE but he may as well be a receiver to this team. That one catch also sent us to the Super Bowl which is how you have to look at it.

Again, he's not a number one receiver right now because Wallace is. He's not the top priority and instead is running the underneath routes. Comparing him to guys on Denver and New England is a huge mistake. They run down field, vertical offenses so they have huge stats. People are putting way too much emphasis on stats. The simple fact of the matter is, he hasn't had his chance at being a number one receiver. He doesn't have the same speed as Wallace, but has shown better hands and the ability to get open. I might be Mikey's biggest fan, but I'll concede that every time.

Judging AB this quickly - as a number 2 receiver no less - is a mistake.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #29
JeromeBetties63
Starter

Member Number: 19049

Well, this thread has been clearly answered. No, he is not over-rated. The guy who posed it has been soundly thumped. Close the thread.
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #30
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherinko View Post
Antonio Brown is nobody amazing. Dependable starter perhaps but I wouldn't call him pro bowl material or a once in a generation talent. He only has 3 career receiving TD's. The love you see for Brown is mostly an effect of Wallace's holdout. Wallace became the bad guy and people needed a hero to put him down. And on that matter Wallace hasn't played well either.
who is amazing? To me - Jordy Nelson,Victor Cruz, Wes Welker are the only WRs that come to mind that have helped their team get a shot to win the Super Bowl outside of AB. They do have more accomplishments than him - I know where AB stands - but he is our most clutch player.

Agree to disagree.
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
SteelBobbleHead (11-30-2012)