Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #51
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Ben is throwing now, but Batch will start against the Ravens

The argument for Batch is that he USUALLY doesn't make mistakes, but he sure isn't the same Charlie Batch that stepped in during Ben's 2010 suspension. Here's the way I see it, we are no longer in competition with Baltimore, we are a wild card team, so as much as I'd like to see Ben rushed back, I rather see him healthy for the final 4 games so that we can AND WILL win all of them and be the #5 seed. If Ben can play at nearly 90% then I'd play him, we'd likely win provided the defense played as well as they did against the Ravens the first time. But in the long run beating Baltimore means nothing unless they really collapse. This is the area of the season where we are playing for the big picture and they are playing to only beat us, so it may happen, but I see us being just fine going in as a wild card team with a healthy Ben and a loss in Baltimore.

If Ben's healthy we'll see them in the playoffs anyway, and kick their ass in their own house. This time they won't have the "long flight home from Pittsburgh" to wipe away the tears, so there own fans will get to see them cry in person for once....ah the joys of being a Steeler fan,

Back to the situation at hand though, I say if Hoyer has a mildly competent understanding of the playbook then play him. What do we have to lose, Batch isn't going to win anyway and if Ben plays hurt he's going to stuggle like last year in SF (not that bad but you get the idea). Play Hoyer and lets see if he can keep us in the game and make a few plays. Miller and Burress are big targets and should eat up the middle on the 27th ranked Ray Lewis-less defense. Miller had a good game even though Batch missed him on a few, and that's because a large route runner on a short pass generally results in an easier through for the QB, I didn't understand why "slick hands" Mike Wallace was left in all game and Burress wasn't used as a more reliable weapon. Wallace is a better WR at this point when his head is in the game, but when your using a backup QB it's all about making it easier on them. And large veteran targets do just that. And if we run Dwyer and Dwyer only then we will get a running game going. RB's need to get in a rhythm and Rainey is the perfect contrast for the occasional change of pace, so no more RB by committee nonsense. Colon and Dwyer are the differences in the run game IMO, and they will both be starting Sunday. The only way Hoyer could be worse is if he had 4 INT's, so it's not like we're taking a big risk, Besides, if Beachum is out at RT then our backup QB will end up hurt anyway. I wasn't aware that Gilbert's injury was so severe. Any update on either of them?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #52
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Batch didn't play well against the Browns. However, Hoyer playing would be a mistake, he surely isn't up to speed on our playbook, he may well be a good back up for us down the road, but after a week and a half, I doubt it.
You all can blame Batch and he certainly should take his fair amount, but the fumbles killed us. Mendenhals first fumble at our 10 or 15 really was huge. Batch's first pick was a Wallace bobble, a pass (although not perfect) should have been caught. His third pic was a desperation throw. Even without the pics, WE STILL LOST 5 FUMBLES. Not too mention it seemed every time we had a positive offensive play, we had a holding penalty or some other penalty on the O. You can't put the ball on the ground 5 times, take penalties that put you in 1st or 2nd and 15 or 20, and expect the third string QB to do anything to win. NO NFL TEAM WOULD WIN IN THAT SITUATION.
As much as Charlie wasn't good, the team did nothing to help him and the backup needs a better performance by the other players on the O to be even remotely successful.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #53
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
The argument for Batch is that he USUALLY doesn't make mistakes, but he sure isn't the same Charlie Batch that stepped in during Ben's 2010 suspension. Here's the way I see it, we are no longer in competition with Baltimore, we are a wild card team, so as much as I'd like to see Ben rushed back, I rather see him healthy for the final 4 games so that we can AND WILL win all of them and be the #5 seed. If Ben can play at nearly 90% then I'd play him, we'd likely win provided the defense played as well as they did against the Ravens the first time. But in the long run beating Baltimore means nothing unless they really collapse. This is the area of the season where we are playing for the big picture and they are playing to only beat us, so it may happen, but I see us being just fine going in as a wild card team with a healthy Ben and a loss in Baltimore.

If Ben's healthy we'll see them in the playoffs anyway, and kick their ass in their own house. This time they won't have the "long flight home from Pittsburgh" to wipe away the tears, so there own fans will get to see them cry in person for once....ah the joys of being a Steeler fan,

Back to the situation at hand though, I say if Hoyer has a mildly competent understanding of the playbook then play him. What do we have to lose, Batch isn't going to win anyway and if Ben plays hurt he's going to stuggle like last year in SF (not that bad but you get the idea). Play Hoyer and lets see if he can keep us in the game and make a few plays. Miller and Burress are big targets and should eat up the middle on the 27th ranked Ray Lewis-less defense. Miller had a good game even though Batch missed him on a few, and that's because a large route runner on a short pass generally results in an easier through for the QB, I didn't understand why "slick hands" Mike Wallace was left in all game and Burress wasn't used as a more reliable weapon. Wallace is a better WR at this point when his head is in the game, but when your using a backup QB it's all about making it easier on them. And large veteran targets do just that. And if we run Dwyer and Dwyer only then we will get a running game going. RB's need to get in a rhythm and Rainey is the perfect contrast for the occasional change of pace, so no more RB by committee nonsense. Colon and Dwyer are the differences in the run game IMO, and they will both be starting Sunday. The only way Hoyer could be worse is if he had 4 INT's, so it's not like we're taking a big risk, Besides, if Beachum is out at RT then our backup QB will end up hurt anyway. I wasn't aware that Gilbert's injury was so severe. Any update on either of them?
I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Although old Charlie wasn't 100% responsible for losing the Browns game, he sure as shit wasn't able to do anything to get us back in it. His interceptions in the 2nd half could have been picked by high school DB's.

I say start Batch, and if we are shitting the bed by the half, bring in Hoyer. Nothing left to lose at that point.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #54
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Citing a source with knowledge of Ben Roethlisberger's injuries, ESPN's Bob Holtzman reported Wednesday that "right now there's less than a 50 percent chance" of Big Ben playing in Week 13.

Per Holtzman, Roethlisberger's dislocated rib remains his "biggest issue," and Big Ben isn't convinced that he can throw the football effectively enough to play against the Ravens. The Steelers are still allowing Roethlisberger to "push himself" through practice, and see how his body responds. Holtzman notes that both of Big Ben's injuries -- his sprained shoulder and rib dislocation -- have a "very high risk of reinjury" should Roethlisberger return too soon.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

-------------------

so, there's a chance
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #55
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,475 Times in 1,649 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Citing a source with knowledge of Ben Roethlisberger's injuries, ESPN's Bob Holtzman reported Wednesday that "right now there's less than a 50 percent chance" of Big Ben playing in Week 13.

Per Holtzman, Roethlisberger's dislocated rib remains his "biggest issue," and Big Ben isn't convinced that he can throw the football effectively enough to play against the Ravens. The Steelers are still allowing Roethlisberger to "push himself" through practice, and see how his body responds. Holtzman notes that both of Big Ben's injuries -- his sprained shoulder and rib dislocation -- have a "very high risk of reinjury" should Roethlisberger return too soon.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

-------------------

so, there's a chance
eh - if they are correct - then we have to hope he'll even be back for the next game - it really isn't looking too good IMO

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #56
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
so, there's a chance
[YOUTUBE]KX5jNnDMfxA[/YOUTUBE]
Old 11-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #57
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
eh - if they are correct - then we have to hope he'll even be back for the next game - it really isn't looking too good IMO

Then what was all that sh** about it just being pain tolerance

And I agree...this sounds more like it'll take another 3 weeks at least

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #58
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219
My Mood: Paranoid

I think he'll play, maybe not start. Come on, he's still big ben and will still play hurt.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #59
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

How the hell do you get another 3 weeks from that, especially if there is a chance he will play this week?
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #60
Ravens1
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24426

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
The Ravens are the worst 9-2 team I think I've ever seen. I legitimately can't wait until we see them in the playoffs. The thought of going into M&T Bank and ripping the fucking roof off that place and embarrassing the Ravens in their home makes my eyes water with joy.
You're dreaming if you think you are going to finish above the Bengals.

P.S. Bring the big guy Sunday so we can put him out of his misery.
Ravens1 is offline   Reply With Quote