Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #51
tanda10506
Team President
 
tanda10506's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Smoky Mountains, TN
Posts: 2,104
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17319
Thanks: 814
Thanked 366 Times in 206 Posts
Default Re: Ben is throwing now, but Batch will start against the Ravens

The argument for Batch is that he USUALLY doesn't make mistakes, but he sure isn't the same Charlie Batch that stepped in during Ben's 2010 suspension. Here's the way I see it, we are no longer in competition with Baltimore, we are a wild card team, so as much as I'd like to see Ben rushed back, I rather see him healthy for the final 4 games so that we can AND WILL win all of them and be the #5 seed. If Ben can play at nearly 90% then I'd play him, we'd likely win provided the defense played as well as they did against the Ravens the first time. But in the long run beating Baltimore means nothing unless they really collapse. This is the area of the season where we are playing for the big picture and they are playing to only beat us, so it may happen, but I see us being just fine going in as a wild card team with a healthy Ben and a loss in Baltimore.

If Ben's healthy we'll see them in the playoffs anyway, and kick their ass in their own house. This time they won't have the "long flight home from Pittsburgh" to wipe away the tears, so there own fans will get to see them cry in person for once....ah the joys of being a Steeler fan,

Back to the situation at hand though, I say if Hoyer has a mildly competent understanding of the playbook then play him. What do we have to lose, Batch isn't going to win anyway and if Ben plays hurt he's going to stuggle like last year in SF (not that bad but you get the idea). Play Hoyer and lets see if he can keep us in the game and make a few plays. Miller and Burress are big targets and should eat up the middle on the 27th ranked Ray Lewis-less defense. Miller had a good game even though Batch missed him on a few, and that's because a large route runner on a short pass generally results in an easier through for the QB, I didn't understand why "slick hands" Mike Wallace was left in all game and Burress wasn't used as a more reliable weapon. Wallace is a better WR at this point when his head is in the game, but when your using a backup QB it's all about making it easier on them. And large veteran targets do just that. And if we run Dwyer and Dwyer only then we will get a running game going. RB's need to get in a rhythm and Rainey is the perfect contrast for the occasional change of pace, so no more RB by committee nonsense. Colon and Dwyer are the differences in the run game IMO, and they will both be starting Sunday. The only way Hoyer could be worse is if he had 4 INT's, so it's not like we're taking a big risk, Besides, if Beachum is out at RT then our backup QB will end up hurt anyway. I wasn't aware that Gilbert's injury was so severe. Any update on either of them?
__________________
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tanda10506 For This Useful Post:
Terminator (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #52
Rick5895
Team President
 
Rick5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St.Thomas, ontario , canada
Posts: 2,136
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5148
Thanks: 21
Thanked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Default Re: Ben is throwing now, but Batch will start against the Ravens

Batch didn't play well against the Browns. However, Hoyer playing would be a mistake, he surely isn't up to speed on our playbook, he may well be a good back up for us down the road, but after a week and a half, I doubt it.
You all can blame Batch and he certainly should take his fair amount, but the fumbles killed us. Mendenhals first fumble at our 10 or 15 really was huge. Batch's first pick was a Wallace bobble, a pass (although not perfect) should have been caught. His third pic was a desperation throw. Even without the pics, WE STILL LOST 5 FUMBLES. Not too mention it seemed every time we had a positive offensive play, we had a holding penalty or some other penalty on the O. You can't put the ball on the ground 5 times, take penalties that put you in 1st or 2nd and 15 or 20, and expect the third string QB to do anything to win. NO NFL TEAM WOULD WIN IN THAT SITUATION.
As much as Charlie wasn't good, the team did nothing to help him and the backup needs a better performance by the other players on the O to be even remotely successful.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #53
Terminator
Team Captain
 
Terminator's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 839
Member Number: 24492
Thanks: 384
Thanked 599 Times in 229 Posts
Default Re: Ben is throwing now, but Batch will start against the Ravens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
The argument for Batch is that he USUALLY doesn't make mistakes, but he sure isn't the same Charlie Batch that stepped in during Ben's 2010 suspension. Here's the way I see it, we are no longer in competition with Baltimore, we are a wild card team, so as much as I'd like to see Ben rushed back, I rather see him healthy for the final 4 games so that we can AND WILL win all of them and be the #5 seed. If Ben can play at nearly 90% then I'd play him, we'd likely win provided the defense played as well as they did against the Ravens the first time. But in the long run beating Baltimore means nothing unless they really collapse. This is the area of the season where we are playing for the big picture and they are playing to only beat us, so it may happen, but I see us being just fine going in as a wild card team with a healthy Ben and a loss in Baltimore.

If Ben's healthy we'll see them in the playoffs anyway, and kick their ass in their own house. This time they won't have the "long flight home from Pittsburgh" to wipe away the tears, so there own fans will get to see them cry in person for once....ah the joys of being a Steeler fan,

Back to the situation at hand though, I say if Hoyer has a mildly competent understanding of the playbook then play him. What do we have to lose, Batch isn't going to win anyway and if Ben plays hurt he's going to stuggle like last year in SF (not that bad but you get the idea). Play Hoyer and lets see if he can keep us in the game and make a few plays. Miller and Burress are big targets and should eat up the middle on the 27th ranked Ray Lewis-less defense. Miller had a good game even though Batch missed him on a few, and that's because a large route runner on a short pass generally results in an easier through for the QB, I didn't understand why "slick hands" Mike Wallace was left in all game and Burress wasn't used as a more reliable weapon. Wallace is a better WR at this point when his head is in the game, but when your using a backup QB it's all about making it easier on them. And large veteran targets do just that. And if we run Dwyer and Dwyer only then we will get a running game going. RB's need to get in a rhythm and Rainey is the perfect contrast for the occasional change of pace, so no more RB by committee nonsense. Colon and Dwyer are the differences in the run game IMO, and they will both be starting Sunday. The only way Hoyer could be worse is if he had 4 INT's, so it's not like we're taking a big risk, Besides, if Beachum is out at RT then our backup QB will end up hurt anyway. I wasn't aware that Gilbert's injury was so severe. Any update on either of them?
I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Although old Charlie wasn't 100% responsible for losing the Browns game, he sure as shit wasn't able to do anything to get us back in it. His interceptions in the 2nd half could have been picked by high school DB's.

I say start Batch, and if we are shitting the bed by the half, bring in Hoyer. Nothing left to lose at that point.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #54
Fire Haley
Banned
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 10,359
Member Number: 763
Thanks: 53
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: Ben is throwing now, but Batch will start against the Ravens

Citing a source with knowledge of Ben Roethlisberger's injuries, ESPN's Bob Holtzman reported Wednesday that "right now there's less than a 50 percent chance" of Big Ben playing in Week 13.

Per Holtzman, Roethlisberger's dislocated rib remains his "biggest issue," and Big Ben isn't convinced that he can throw the football effectively enough to play against the Ravens. The Steelers are still allowing Roethlisberger to "push himself" through practice, and see how his body responds. Holtzman notes that both of Big Ben's injuries -- his sprained shoulder and rib dislocation -- have a "very high risk of reinjury" should Roethlisberger return too soon.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

-------------------

so, there's a chance
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #55
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,128
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 3,579
Thanked 3,475 Times in 1,649 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Ben is throwing now, but Batch will start against the Ravens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Citing a source with knowledge of Ben Roethlisberger's injuries, ESPN's Bob Holtzman reported Wednesday that "right now there's less than a 50 percent chance" of Big Ben playing in Week 13.

Per Holtzman, Roethlisberger's dislocated rib remains his "biggest issue," and Big Ben isn't convinced that he can throw the football effectively enough to play against the Ravens. The Steelers are still allowing Roethlisberger to "push himself" through practice, and see how his body responds. Holtzman notes that both of Big Ben's injuries -- his sprained shoulder and rib dislocation -- have a "very high risk of reinjury" should Roethlisberger return too soon.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

-------------------

so, there's a chance
eh - if they are correct - then we have to hope he'll even be back for the next game - it really isn't looking too good IMO
__________________

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #56
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter
 
steelax04's Avatar
 
HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,450
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12182
Thanks: 314
Thanked 669 Times in 309 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Ben is throwing now, but Batch will start against the Ravens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
so, there's a chance
[YOUTUBE]KX5jNnDMfxA[/YOUTUBE]
__________________
steelax04 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelax04 For This Useful Post:
Fire Haley (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #57
Steel_Bus_24
Team President
 
Steel_Bus_24's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,496
Member Number: 2886
Thanks: 242
Thanked 739 Times in 379 Posts
Default Re: Ben is throwing now, but Batch will start against the Ravens

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
eh - if they are correct - then we have to hope he'll even be back for the next game - it really isn't looking too good IMO

Then what was all that sh** about it just being pain tolerance


And I agree...this sounds more like it'll take another 3 weeks at least
__________________

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #58
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter
 
BlaZeQuietly's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 1,036
Gender: Male
Member Number: 18219
Thanks: 112
Thanked 91 Times in 68 Posts
My Mood: Paranoid
Default Re: Ben is throwing now, but Batch will start against the Ravens

I think he'll play, maybe not start. Come on, he's still big ben and will still play hurt.
__________________
BlaZeQuietly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #59
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter
 
Rotorhead's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,761
Gender: Male
Member Number: 703
Thanks: 108
Thanked 527 Times in 295 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed
Default

How the hell do you get another 3 weeks from that, especially if there is a chance he will play this week?
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #60
Ravens1
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 69
Member Number: 24426
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Ben is throwing now, but Batch will start against the Ravens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
The Ravens are the worst 9-2 team I think I've ever seen. I legitimately can't wait until we see them in the playoffs. The thought of going into M&T Bank and ripping the fucking roof off that place and embarrassing the Ravens in their home makes my eyes water with joy.
You're dreaming if you think you are going to finish above the Bengals.

P.S. Bring the big guy Sunday so we can put him out of his misery.
Ravens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts