Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #81
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: Antonio Brown overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Brown is pretty damn good, but he is a bit overrated. Obviously Wallace is and honestly I can care less where he goes. I'd prefer it not be to Baltimore or NE, but Brady can't and doesn't throw the long ball and Baltimore already has their speedster, so as long as he's not in Pittsburgh next year WITH a big contract then I'll be happy. I actually think he's towards the bottom of the WR depth chart, he can't hang on to s***.

I wonder how much Brown being out hurt Leftwich and Batch. Seemed like nobody but Miller could get open, with Sanders occasionally squeaking out.I don't think Brown is a #1 WR, but neither is Wallace. I'd be fine with Sanders/Brown/Cotchery/Burress next year...Brown and Cotchery are already locked up for next year and Sanders and Burress will be cheaper then Wallace. I know Burress isn't a long term solution, but I think the Rooney's are thinking "championship now while Ben is still here!", and Burress is a bigger advantage in the next 2 years then Wallace IMO. No doubt Wallace has much more potential and played great about a year ago, better then Burress, but we already have tons of speed, we need a big target and a red zone beast, and that's Plax.
I think this is a good comment. You are very level headed about the whole situation and I salute you for it.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #82
Steel95
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20292

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Mike Wallace gets slaughtered on these boards and sometimes for good reason! But Browns stats are very average, and certainly not number 1 wideout numbers.

What? Are you kidding me? Mike Wallace doesn't run great routes; Mike Wallace doesn't have the sure hands like Brown or Sanders; Wallace isn't a complete WR like those two are. If anybody is overrated it's Wallace. Now, let me say this, if Wallace goes to a team like New England, Green Bay, Houston, or Chicago, he will possibly flourish. Why? They have a QB that's much more accurate throwing the deep ball, no knock on #7, he's just not that accurate, like it or not. But one thing is definitely for sure, Mike Wallace isn't worth $55M plus to be a #1 WR. Wallace is better suited to go to a team that's well established.
Steel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #83
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
If you can't reason that 490 yards and 1 td thru 8 games is real average, when his franchise QB has tossed it 316 times then i guess we will have to agree to disagree.
This is a skewered stat at best, with the new offence Ben has distributed his passes to many more targets. I know for a fact that he was hitting 8 to 10 different receivers a game for many games. On top of that you have a OC trying to infuse the run back into the offence and using his TE more. In this case the stats do not tell the whole story, now if you want to talk stats explain how your #1 WR could disappear the last half of last season.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #84
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,721 Times in 10,422 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
If that rapport is so good, why did he average 5 catches a game with Ben thru the first 8 weeks?
5 receptions X 16 games = 80 receptions

80 receptions is pretty darn good.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #85
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
i wouldn't be shocked to see Wallace go anywhere - the Ravens would love any chance they could get to take away one of our guys and try to show us up with him
I honestly do not see the Ravens going after Wallace, they are going to have to pony up for Flacco and he thin ks as highly of himself as Wallace does. They are going to lose some old talent but still have to resign some of their own young WRs after their rookie contracts. I still think we may work out a deal but Wallace is going to have to earn it, his lack of effort is noticeable to all.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #86
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

As someone else stated:
What does Walalce have to do with AB???

AB is paid #2 WR money, and he makes #2 WR catches: he moves the chains; he catches key third-downs; and he was on pace to get 80 receptions (which is what a #2 WR) is supposed to do.

Whether Wallace has 16 TDs or 28 TDs or 6 TDs has nothing to do with whether or not AB is overrated.

Using that logic:
Calvin Johnson is taller. AB is shorter. So, AB must be overrated.

Again, what does Wallace have to do with AB???
Old 11-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #87
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I always just figured Brown was the replacement for Ward. Not going to light it up during a game via stats or insane plays, but on 3rd and 8 with 3 mins left down 6 points deep in your own territory, he'll catch the ball and get the first down when you need it most.

Then, on 3rd and 19 from the 50 after a holding call and slant pass tackle, he'll be open 20 yards down field, make the catch and get the first and move the chains.

That's what I figure Brown is, and for that, he is not over rated at all.

As for the Wallace, the kid has so much potential and just seems to not want to work hard and simply rely on his speed. He has to be better at getting jump balls, fighting for position on passes, coming back or going to the ball. The Best receivers aren't just fast, they make catches in traffic, fight for the ball, and then, do something with it when they have it. He could be that, but isn't yet.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #88
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
I always just figured Brown was the replacement for Ward. Not going to light it up during a game via stats or insane plays, but on 3rd and 8 with 3 mins left down 6 points deep in your own territory, he'll catch the ball and get the first down when you need it most.

Then, on 3rd and 19 from the 50 after a holding call and slant pass tackle, he'll be open 20 yards down field, make the catch and get the first and move the chains.

That's what I figure Brown is, and for that, he is not over rated at all.
^^That^^
Old 11-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #89
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

All I know is this...

Since Brown went down, our Offense suffered a bit and Mike Wallace not only failed to step up in his absence (Since he's the best WR, you know), but he has considerably gotten worse. That's not the sign of a #1 receiver.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #90
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
I think Wallace will go to one of the high dollar teams like Dallas or Washington. He seems to be all about the dollars and those owners have no qualms about spending the money to try to buy a championship. I hope one of them gets him if we can't sign him. I doubt at this point the Steelers will be willing to franchise tag him. But stranger things have happened.
I think Mike really wants to stay with the Steelers but felt a little betrayed when he did not get a contract agreement. He busted his butt for the team during his first contract and then they couldn't get it done (at least not yet) the second time. This is when he should be making the most money of his career, yet he's stuck making a less than many wrs that couldn't carry his jock.

Top that off, hell he could get hurt and not even get a chance to move on with his health, should the Steelers decide they will not require his services after the season.

BTW: I don't think the Antonio is overated, both cats (MW & AB) compliment each other on the field.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote