Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #21
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Window shopping for backup QBs

How many years can Vick do absolutely nothing before people stop saying he is so good? He sucks royally. Always has. Inconsistent. Injury prone because of his running. I hate him as a person but that has nothing to do with my dislike for him as a player. Besides, does anyone really think that Vick will want to go to a team as a backup? He still thinks he is starter material. Just like McNabb kept thinking he was any good.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #22
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
They picked up the right guy. I think Hoyer will work out as a back up. Saying that Vick will take the pressure off the RBs fumbling the ball is ludicrous. Do you have any idea how many TOs that Vick has had this year? Stick a fork in him. He is done. He is toast. None of the others even sounds enticing in any way, shape or form. Maybe Orton will be available. He is better than all of them put together.
No QB could survive behind that awful line in Philly. His replacement has the same issue; Running for his life.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #23
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,893 Times in 1,768 Posts

What's Tavaris Jackson's contract status? Wasn't he in the last year of a two-year pact that he signed with Seattle?

Granted, if Buffalo releases Fitzpatrick he may fit into their plans and TJ isn't a 'world beater', but as far as back-ups go he's someone who would fit what the Steelers would be looking for: former starter capable of stepping in for 2-3 games a year and 'game managing'.

He's old enough to know better, young enough to learn a few new tricks and he'd be pretty cheap, too.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Grumpy

I like the idea of drafting a QB,someone with potential and willing to soak in some Bens knowledge.
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #25
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

We need a backup who can win games such as Dixon and Batch did in 2010. We are not looking for a guy to replace Ben.

I think Vick will be fine if available and willing. But I like a guy like Gradkowski - even in college.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #26
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,454 Times in 2,742 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

hoyer + draft pick will be fine
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #27
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,694 Times in 8,612 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
I like the idea of drafting a QB,someone with potential and willing to soak in some Bens knowledge.
Two years ago, I wanted TJ Yates.

Last year, I wanted Ryan Lindley.

This year, Colin Klein is interesting, but he's mostly just a runner. Zac Dysert has similar measurables... and would be there in R6 (plus, went to he same school as BB). No one excites me this year, but I'd take one of those two.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #28
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,694 Times in 8,612 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I say trade for Ryan Lindley.

He has not shown well in his first few starts (lots of picks), but a) he is a rookie and b) his O-line is horrible. Trade a R6 pick for him, and a R6 pick very well might get him, because of his poor performances thus far.

So, why would I want him? I think that he is a BB clone. I watched quite a bit of him at SDSU, and he has a cannon, eludes the pass rush, and is nearly impossible to sack. He is a less-skilled BB, which is perfect for a back-up, especially for a QB that backs up BB.

Again, his performance thus far has more to do with the O-line than it does his own skill set. Heck, Skelton & Kolb already got knocked out (for a few weeks, and for the season, respectively)... so, it would only make sense that a rookie would be throwing picks due to being harassed half of a second after the snap.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #29
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I say trade for Ryan Lindley.

He has not shown well in his first few starts (lots of picks), but a) he is a rookie and b) his O-line is horrible. Trade a R6 pick for him, and a R6 pick very well might get him, because of his poor performances thus far.

So, why would I want him? I think that he is a BB clone. I watched quite a bit of him at SDSU, and he has a cannon, eludes the pass rush, and is nearly impossible to sack. He is a less-skilled BB, which is perfect for a back-up, especially for a QB that backs up BB.

Again, his performance thus far has more to do with the O-line than it does his own skill set. Heck, Skelton & Kolb already got knocked out (for a few weeks, and for the season, respectively)... so, it would only make sense that a rookie would be throwing picks due to being harassed half of a second after the snap.
The Steelers need a BB type of QB(big,strong and mobile) due to the fact they have trouble keeping linemen healthy.Although Ben holds the ball a heck of a long time
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #30
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574

I wish we would take a look a Chase Daniels. He's smart and accurate, and has decent arm strength. He's played pretty well in the little time he's gotten to play behind "Lil Big Easy" Drew Brees. I don't know if that's because of the Saints system or what, but if Hoyer shows anything at all, I'd love to sign Daniels and go into camp with those two battling for the b/u job.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote