Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts
Default Re: "FIRE THE TRAINING STAFF!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I once heard Chad Brown say something along the lines of "The Steelers ram their heads into people harder than anyone else. It knocks the other team down, but it eventually takes a toll on their own players, as well."

Perhaps many of them have studied under Gus Frerotte.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,256 Times in 3,957 Posts
My Mood: Amused

is it possible?

Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
it seems WE are losing players at a faster rate because steelers are predisposed to steelers information and news and simply dont pay attention to other teams (let alone the league as a whole) as closely.
How many other teams:

* Are missing their starting QB
* Missing their backup QB
* Missing 3 of 5 starting Olinemen
* Rotating between 4 different RBs because none of them can stay healthy for more than two weeks at a time
* Missing their best player on defense
* Missing their best WR
* Missing their best pass rusher
* Previously best pass rusher on a gimped up knee
* Lost their starting FB before the season started
* Missing their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks from this year's draft-- 3rd round pick's injury may be career-ending

I think the only team right now that even compares to us as far as injuries, is Philly, and they are struggling to even get single solitary win.

You can go ahead and look at this through whatever rosey glasses you are wearing, blame it on the players, blame it on the fans, whatever. Clearly, something is amiss in their training regimen.

If the players are not putting in the effort-- that is STILL a problem for training department to solve, as well as the coaches.

It is not just this year either. Did we ever have the same 5 Olinemen for two consectuvie games in the last 3 seasons? We have not had Woodley and Harrison in peak shape and on the field simultaneously since 2010.

After while you should start to see a pattern emerging.
The Following User Says Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
Selia25 (11-30-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

Thanks for this thread! I have been saying this for a few years now as I am tired of limping into the post season!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
How many other teams:

* Rotating between 4 different RBs because none of them can stay healthy for more than two weeks at a time
* Missing their best WR
* Missing their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks from this year's draft-- 3rd round pick's injury may be career-ending

I think the only team right now that even compares to us as far as injuries, is Philly, and they are struggling to even get single solitary win.

You can go ahead and look at this through whatever rosey glasses you are wearing, blame it on the players, blame it on the fans, whatever. Clearly, something is amiss in their training regimen.

dude... ive already listed each and every one of those players. are you saying that since no other team has the exact same injuries as the steelers, that something is clearly "amiss in their regimen"? that is clearly a stretch of deductive reasoning. washingtn and the bungles have both been decimated with injuries this year, along with philly (just like green bay was in their sb year). plenty of teams have sat their starting qb's due to injuries.

i know what the hell i am talking about and backed it up with facts and specific examples, but since you seem to think you know what you are talking about as well, why dont you give some specific examples of what could possibly be amiss with the steelers conditioning program or the professional trainers hired to impliment it, and i will take off the "rosey glasses" and give them consideration.

deal?

(i wont hold my breath).
Old 11-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #16
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,488 Times in 7,390 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Perhaps many of them have studied under Gus Frerotte.
Nicely played.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
FanSince72 (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #17
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,288 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
How many other teams:

* Missing their best WR
* Missing their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks from this year's draft-- 3rd round pick's injury may be career-ending.
i thought it was just me, but we possibly have the worst injury list 2 years in a row
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #18
CanuckCurtain
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokki View Post
Some of it is just pure bad luck for us. Our own lineman taking out other linemen by falling into the back of their legs. Ben getting a fluke injury. Troy having the most severe and mysterious calf injury in history. Leftwich hurting himself while running for a TD.
I agree. A lot of fluke injuries on the list mixed with a little bit of players not taking trainers/ coaches advice = this debacle.

good food for thought tony
CanuckCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #19
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,444 Times in 1,635 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Tony, i hear ya - I completely get that the Steelers have the people that are "top of the class"

I believe in a fresh look at things no matter what - in other words "don't drink your own bathwater." Basically, I'd like to read or find something about how they are objectively looking at their approaches. Even though they might be the best at everything in the training and conditioning categories - their ideas that "have to be right" need to be challenged by someone from the outside. Now - I won't assume that this doesn't happen in some sort of re-evaluation - but, if someone in the Pittsburgh media did a story on this - it would be award worthy- or maybe they have - and they aren't doing a great job of selling the piece.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #20
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
dude... ive already listed each and every one of those players. are you saying that since no other team has the exact same injuries as the steelers, that something is clearly "amiss in their regimen"?
No, because the Steelers and their list of injuries to critical players over the last 3 seasons paints a clear and repetitive pattern.

If it was just this year this was happening, your arguments would have some merit. The Packers had a bad year in 2010 with injuries, but have not since then. The Eagles have less injuries to critical players right now and they are a shambles.

Quote:
that is clearly a stretch of deductive reasoning. washingtn and the bungles have both been decimated with injuries this year, along with philly (just like green bay was in their sb year).
No, it's not a stretch at all. Other teams have ben NEARLY as decimated with injuries, but not for 3 or 4 seasons in a row. If it happens, once, you can chalk it up to coincidence, or lazy players or whatever. When it becomes a systemic and repetitive problem, a pattern has been established.

The team, coaches, and staff get paid to win championships. If the same obstacle keeps coming up year after year to derail that endeavor, you can place balme where you want to-- but the fact remains, something is wrong with their conditioning that is causing them to keep getting injured. THAT is some simple, straightforward deductive reasoning.

Quote:
i know what the hell i am talking about and backed it up with facts and specific examples,
Nope-- you posted a bunch of quotes from the training staff, blaming it on the players' laziness. Hmmm...what would be their incentive to blame the problem on the players, rather than their training program?

Are we to believe that the Steelers are the only team with lazy players? Why aren't the other 31 teams having so many injuries for sveeral season in a row? it's not like the Steelers draft all their players from a special "lazy guys only" pool.

Quote:
but since you seem to think you know what you are talking about as well, why dont you give some specific examples of what could possibly be amiss with the steelers conditioning program or the professional trainers hired to impliment it, and i will take off the "rosey glasses" and give them consideration.

* Too many breaks and days off for veterans.
* Too soft a training camp (Tomlin's camps are well-known for this)
* Allowing the players to freelance during the offseason as far as their training programs (or lack thereof)
* Not doing the right types of excercises and stretches
* Skipping pre-game warmups

Just for starters.....