Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #31
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Rolando McClain anybody???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Why wouldn't we take a shot at him? I mean, he was an absolute stud in college. Give him an offseason to learn the book and have him compete for the ILB job. I don't understand this fanbase and our need to sign squeaky clean players - why?
It's funny, because I don't understand the part of this fanbase that insists on trying to sign every player that gets cut from another team if they have any semblance of a "name," irregardless of the circumstances that led to their release to begin with. Vince Young was a "stud" in college as well and we certainly have a need in the QB department as the last two games will attest - should we go after him too? This guy coasted on his ability at Alabama - that doesn't get it at the NFL level, as he's finding out.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #32
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Cheerful

Every time someone gets cut the "we have to sign this guy" people come out of the woodwork. There is a snowball's chance in hell that they are going to go after this guy. They like to bring defensive players up from the draft and let them learn from the bench for a couple of years. Free agents rarely come to this team except in extreme emergency situations like Hoyer and Plax.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #33
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Every time someone gets cut the "we have to sign this guy" people come out of the woodwork. There is a snowball's chance in hell that they are going to go after this guy. They like to bring defensive players up from the draft and let them learn from the bench for a couple of years. Free agents rarely come to this team except in extreme emergency situations like Hoyer and Plax.
Not like he would take a STARTERS position... the point is to gather as much talent as can be ...

right now you have Brandon Johnson and Adrian Robinson as backups according to Steelers.com depth chart... Brandon Johnson is a career backup and always will be ... Adrian Robinson is a practice squad player that we could sign back to the practice squad, nobody would sign him...

McClain has potential to be a STUD ILB... so you bring him in to be emergency BACKUP and play ST... untill next year....

that gives the rest of the season to evaluate him, and his head, and his willingness to be apart of a "real team"

and gives him the rest of the season and off season to learn the playbook and schemes

I just don't see whats wrong with wanting to stack your team with as much talent as possible...

Brandon Johnson if I'm not mistaking was cut by the BROWNS or BENGALS and we brought him in in the off season... so he wasn't good enough to be on the BROWNS or BENGALS but he's good enough for the STEELERS????

(not aimed at you specifically but just in general) some of you fans need to get off your high horse... the oh were to good of an organization and/or team ...

and the don't bring in Free Agents is a myth ... yes your tight they don't bring in highlt touted FAs ... but they bring in players
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #34
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,604 Times in 4,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
It's funny, because I don't understand the part of this fanbase that insists on trying to sign every player that gets cut from another team if they have any semblance of a "name," irregardless of the circumstances that led to their release to begin with. Vince Young was a "stud" in college as well and we certainly have a need in the QB department as the last two games will attest - should we go after him too? This guy coasted on his ability at Alabama - that doesn't get it at the NFL level, as he's finding out.
Comparing VY to McClain is apples and oranges. It looked like early on in his career that Rolando wanted to learn and wanted to give everything he had, but Oakland eventually got to him and he stopped caring. That's a problem in and of itself, but it's an understandable one. Look at the situation Oakland is in right now and tell me that it's a great place for a rookie to go and thrive and live up to his potential.

I'm not saying we should 'go and sign every player that gets cut' but we have a need at ILB and this kid was a stud in college. Again, why wouldn't we at least give him a shot in the offseason and let him show what he can do under a defensive coordinator and head coach that knows what they're doing. It doesn't make sense not to bring someone in because of a rocky history and/or he struggled with another team.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #35
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,481 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
It doesn't make sense not to bring someone in because of a rocky history and/or he struggled with another team.
Jerome Bettis would never have worn a Pittsburgh Steelers uniform if we hadn't taken that chance.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #36
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Jerome Bettis would never have worn a Pittsburgh Steelers uniform if we hadn't taken that chance.
What chance? Bettis was an All-Pro his rookie season, made the Pro Bowl his first two years and requested a trade after the 1995 season due to the Rams shifting to a pass-oriented offense. Big difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to fansince'76 For This Useful Post:
tony hipchest (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #37
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Comparing VY to McClain is apples and oranges. It looked like early on in his career that Rolando wanted to learn and wanted to give everything he had, but Oakland eventually got to him and he stopped caring. That's a problem in and of itself, but it's an understandable one. Look at the situation Oakland is in right now and tell me that it's a great place for a rookie to go and thrive and live up to his potential.
I dunno - screams "attitude problem" to me. There are plenty of blue chip college prospects that go to bad teams and flourish anyway.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #38
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,102 Times in 3,082 Posts

Quote:
Why wouldn't we take a shot at him? .
for the same reason we didnt take a shot at aaron maybin, aaron curry, vernon gholston (all players steelerfans were sporting woodys for when they were drafted)-

their resume is on tape and the tape says they SUCK. they are liabilities. no thanks.

many others have tried to coach the suck out of them and have failed.

we might as well bring back thaddeus gibson or bruce carter and see if they dont suck no more,

or better yet, keep sylvester stevenson another year and see if he sucks any less (he wont).
Old 11-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #39
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,481 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
What chance? Bettis was an All-Pro his rookie season, made the Pro Bowl his first two years and requested a trade after the 1995 season due to the Rams shifting to a pass-oriented offense. Big difference.
Jerome Bettis needed a chance of scenery after his numbers and productivity fell to only 637 yards rushing in 1995.

Rolando McClain had 99 tackles his rookie season, maybe he also can benefit from a change of scenery. and don't forget, McClain is still only 23 years old.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #40
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,604 Times in 4,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
their resume is on tape and the tape says they SUCK. they are liabilities. no thanks.
What's the worst that can happen? Let's be realistic here - he gets claimed by the Steelers and he plays special teams the rest of the season. In the offseason if he doesn't show he's capable of competing for the ILB position and Spence (or a draft pick) make a fool out of him, he's cut. On the flip side, if LeBeau - or whoever is coordinator - can tap into that 'Bama player that was dominate in college, then we just found our next ILB to play alongside Timmons. I don't see what the big deal is here - it's low risk, high reward.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote