Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
Default Re: Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
1. Did you even watch the last match-up? PITT's defense allowed a whopping 3 points. Even if Flacco is "better at home", I don't see more than 17 (predict 10).

2. The wild-card is not over with a loss on Sunday. Heck, TWO more losses could happen, and a wild-card spot would still be "possible" (9-7). 4-1 is not out of the question, and I could even see 5-0... but, regardless, 3-2 is not at all far-fetched.

3. Why rush BB back at 20% (or 50%)??? Did you not see what happened last season? Allow me to re-cap:
--BB gets hurt
--BB rushes back
--BB never heals completely
--BB is hobbled in the play-offs
--the Steelers lose.

I propose:
--BB gets hurt
--rest BB/weather the storm
--sneak into the play-offs as a wild-card
--make a run with a healthy BB
--win #7.
One massive difference to this game... The game is in Baltimore. I don't Ben to get injured further either
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
BlaZeQuietly
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

Ben's not starting, but we could still win imagine if we did its 7-5 with another divisional victory , and beat the Ravens in their own house. However it's done, could start making people believers again. However if we lose, we need to steam roll every other game. In my opinion new england baltimore houston denver are all locks for the play offs and will probably take their divison. so lets just for get about that for a moment. There are 2 more spots available Indianapolis is 7-4, so lets say they take the 5th seed. Its us (6-5) and the Bengles (6-5), fighting it out down the stretch and we play cinci, Ben should be back by then so I can really see us finishing 10-6 and sneaking into the play offs as a 6th or maybe a 5 seed. The math is not all that scary now that I've looked into it. We still control our own destiny and games against the browns and bengles with big ben back
if we win them both we would win any tie breaker.

*bites nails* *twitches*
Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,480 Times in 7,385 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
One massive difference to this game... The game is in Baltimore. I don't Ben to get injured further either
That's why I said "rest BB/weather the storm."

If you are referring to the point differential between the Ravens away & at home: they scored 3 away; 17 at home wouldn't surprise me (although I predict 10).

10>3
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
BlaZeQuietly
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

Hopefully baltimore writes us off and doesnt give 100% and loses. Then we kick their asses in the AFC championship game while ben goes 35 for 40 with 580 yards passing 5 passing touchdowns to brown 2 rushing touchdowns on from Ben and one from Dwyer. 59-6 pittsburgh, ravens fans move to secluded part of south america with Jim harbough and they all drink a nice tall cup a kool aid :)
Old 12-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #15
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802

Quote:
1. Did you even watch the last match-up? PITT's defense allowed a whopping 3 points..
^^ This - I actually agreed with most everything you said, but wanted to wanted to specifically focus on what you said right here. Because honestly, barring some sort of major injury, we should definitely see some kind of improvement in the offense under Batch. For him, last week was more or less a baptism by fire. But now he's had another week of practice to shake off the rust.

Batch might be old, but he's still our only veteran back-up QB with a winning record. Flacco is not an elite QB - at least not when he's facing our D - when they win, they tend to win by a few points or less. Even with Ben still out this game, when you weigh the overall strengths and weaknesses of both teams, I'd say it's probably a draw.

Except in one category. My chief concern is not with our defense or even our offense - it's our kicking and return teams that has me more than a little worried. And I'm not talking Suisham - in a close and low-scoring game, 3 pts will carry a lot of weight. I, for one, have faith in his ability to score.

But, if we allow a team like the Ravens to pick up an easy seven from on a kickoff and/or punt return...in the words of Dave Chappelle... I'll probably have to choke a b!tch! Because otherwise, with a slightly better D than Baltimore...and Flaccid Flacco being no better than Old Man Charlie...assuming the refs don't get in the way, I see no reason why we don't have at least a fair shot at winning this time.

In fact, when taking all of those factors into consideration, I'd say our odds of winning this time are probably a little better than 50-50.

That may not sound like a ringing endorsement, but given the circumstances, those are the kind of odds that I am willing to embrace!

Last edited by AndyWitmyer; 12-01-2012 at 04:33 AM.
AndyWitmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #16
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I'm just hoping here but with another week under his belt, Tory and AB coming back and the way our D played in the 1st game I don't see why no one is giving us a chance??? Baltimore is NOT that much better than us when we have a 3rd string QB let alone when Ben is back. We have a shot this week just like any other week. And Yes I have watched every single game and I have seen how bad we've looked. I know it's been pointed out but we lost to Oak and Tenn with Ben. It's another opp for our back ups to step up. Go Steelers!!! (Maybe I just want so badly for them to DESTROY the ratbirds!)
;
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,480 Times in 7,385 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWitmyer View Post
^^ This - I actually agreed with most everything you said, but wanted to wanted to specifically focus on what you said right here. Because honestly, barring some sort of major injury, we should definitely see some kind of improvement in the offense under Batch. For him, last week was more or less a baptism by fire. But now he's had another week of practice to shake off the rust.

Batch might be old, but he's still our only veteran back-up QB with a winning record. Flacco is not an elite QB - at least not when he's facing our D - when they win, they tend to win by a few points or less. Even with Ben still out this game, when you weigh the overall strengths and weaknesses of both teams, I'd say it's probably a draw.

Except in one category. My chief concern is not with our defense or even our offense - it's our kicking and return teams that has me more than a little worried. And I'm not talking Suisham - in a close and low-scoring game, 3 pts will carry a lot of weight. I, for one, have faith in his ability to score.

But, if we allow a team like the Ravens to pick up an easy seven from on a kickoff and/or punt return...in the words of Dave Chappelle... I'll probably have to choke a b!tch! Because otherwise, with a slightly better D than Baltimore...and Flaccid Flacco being no better than Old Man Charlie...assuming the refs don't get in the way, I see no reason why we don't have at least a fair shot at winning this time.

In fact, when taking all of those factors into consideration, I'd say our odds of winning this time are probably a little better than 50-50.

That may not sound like a ringing endorsement, but given the circumstances, those are the kind of odds that I am willing to embrace!
Exactly.

I don't believe in Batch like I used to (even his short throws were way off target and/or underthrown)... but, I think that part if the problem in the Browns game was that Charlie was FORCED to try & make a play, due to all of the fumbles.

Yes, he missed Heath several times. Yes, his arm looked shot. But, those simply resulted in incompletions.

Whereas, when he HAD to start throwing deeper, the balls started getting picked off.

I think that if the Steelers can run the ball (which they did last time), Batch won't be "forced" to attempt throws that he simply can't make. Likewise, I think that Haley now realizes that last time, he stopped calling run plays when the offense crossed the 50 yard-line. This time, expect a heavy dose of Dwyer... the ENTIRE way down the field.

Lastly, I heard Emmanuel Sanders talking about how before the Browns game, Charlie didn't look good in practice, but this week he's had "three good practices." Do I expect Batch to win the game with his arm? No. But, I do expect him to play just a little better than he did last week (e.g. no picks would be "a little better").
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
AndyWitmyer (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #18
JeromeBetties63
Starter

Member Number: 19049

Quote:
1. Did you even watch the last match-up? PITT's defense allowed a whopping 3 points. Even if Flacco is "better at home", I don't see more than 17 (predict 10).

2. The wild-card is not over with a loss on Sunday. Heck, TWO more losses could happen, and a wild-card spot would still be "possible" (9-7). 4-1 is not out of the question, and I could even see 5-0... but, regardless, 3-2 is not at all far-fetched.

3. Why rush BB back at 20% (or 50%)??? Did you not see what happened last season? Allow me to re-cap:
--BB gets hurt
--BB rushes back
--BB never heals completely
--BB is hobbled in the play-offs
--the Steelers lose.

I propose:
--BB gets hurt
--rest BB/weather the storm
--sneak into the play-offs as a wild-card
--make a run with a healthy BB
--win #7.
Spot on! After the Giant game I would have given us a chance to run the table or maybe lose one road game down the stretch. People get a myopic vision looking at the weaknesses on their own team. This is a good team. Healthy...they could make a serious run at the title. Who is unbeatable? Really? Which team scares you in this league? Get healthy boys, hang on...make a run...shock the world....send the Steeler Nation into an apoplectic frenzy and make all the haters hate more!
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

It should sink in that WE SUCK without Ben. Actually the defense is still pretty kick ass, but the offense is a disaster. I don't care whose at QB, with the talent we have at WR/RB/TE, a professional QB should be able to complete some passes. Yet they can't even move the ball, forget about scoring, they can't get past the 50 without Ben. Honestly the Browns game was one of the worst performances by any offense that I have witnessed.

So while it's tough to accept the fact that we're going to get bitch slapped tomorrow, and with as frustrating as it will be to hear the media hype up the Ravens for beating us with our 3rd string QB , just remember when this team plays it's best: the playoffs. If we can beat NYG in their house after the refs literally spot them 14 points then we can beat anybody else in their house, we just have to be healthy. You can talk about other teams playing with injuries and say they have them too, but the fact is this team CAN NOT win with bench warmers starting at multiple spots. The old saying of "whoever is healthiest going into the playoffs" came about for a reason. This next man up stuff is cool to hear, but there's a reason that "next man" is riding the pine and not playing in the first place. Maybe other teams have better 2nd string players, I don't know, but these last 2 years have made it pretty clear that if we're not healthy we're not going to win anything. As injured as this team seems, we still have a good amount of our starters. Troy is coming back and MIGHT help, Harrison and Hampton will continue to get healthier and improve like they have been improving over the last few weeks, and eventually our O line will get put back together. So as long as Ben is back for the final 4 games, we'll go 4-0 and go into the playoffs relatively healthy (barring any new injuries). So don't worry about this game because we're going to have to go the wild card route anyway, and if we can go in healthy then we'll get to end the Ravens season in their own house this January!!!!

Last edited by tanda10506; 12-01-2012 at 01:39 PM.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #20
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,288 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

hey guys just reminding you all to not mail this in as a loss yet, we still have a game to play.

yeah I know, I'm not expecting a win, but in the NFL I've seen stranger shit happen, and our boys play better with their backs against the wall. keep the faith!
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
lardlad (12-02-2012)