Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #31
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,970 Times in 5,347 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: "FIRE THE TRAINING STAFF!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
I'm done speculating about who is responsible for the injury plague. What is the solution then? If we go into next couple of seasons with the same shit happening - it just isn't about being the most physical team anymore -it will develop into questioning their attitude about putting in the time to optimize their health
I'm not sure what the reasons are behind all of these injuries either.

however, I do think this is an issue the Steelers need to take a good hard look at to see if any changes should be implemented to improve the players' conditioning and susceptibility to injuries.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #32
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
• Linebackers coach Keith Butler also has some goals for productive but frequently injured linebacker LaMarr Woodley: Do more conditioning work. Woodley (high ankle sprain) hasn’t practiced this week and isn’t expected to play in Baltimore. “The thing I will tell him is he needs to get his hamstrings in shape,” Butler said. “He worked harder than he ever has to get in shape, but he needs to work on his hamstrings.” Woodley missed one game and most of two others with injuries this season.

go figure. a coach putting the honus on a player to do MORE conditioning work on his frail hamstrings.

woodley is probably too busy practicing his stupid post sack flying leg kick.
So you have brought us full-circle now, and we are back to your original assertion that the Steelers layers are lazy, and that is the only problem going on behind the scenes (sure).

So...are the Steelers the only team with lazy players? I don't see any of the other "hard-hitting" teams with half their star players in walking boots and street clothes.

You have yet to answer any of my challenges, as far as why we are the only "hard-hitting" team that has such an extensive list of injuries, year after year. It is not just this season I am looking at.

You have yet to answer why we did not have this problem under Bill Cowher.

All you have done is all of your arguments is throw your arms up in the air and blame the players for their laziness. Guess what, champ? Even if the players are lazy, then the training staff needs to adapt their training program accordingly. Ultimately, the readiness of teh team, from a conditioning standpoint-- is THEIR RESPONSIBILITY, just as much as it is on the players. If the players are not willing to put in the time, then they need to make the mandatory training sessions more high-impact or something.

Whatever tyhey are doing-- it is not working, and this is a new developement the last few seasons. We had physical players the whole time Cowher was with us-- yet we did nto have all the injuries.

you are "pretty sure"???

more like- you are pretty wrong.

i wont even dignifiy these desperate and deflective lies.

So you are saying you agreed with Warren Sapp's assertion the last two seasons that we are "old and done"? You went along with his assertion this year that the Steelers are a 6-10 team?

Either way-- it is a moot point. You are still deferring your opinion to an "expert" because you yourself don't know a thing.

i have a brain teaser for you, once you get a clue.

Well.....what is your brain teaser?

in the meantime i will sit back and LMAO at all the people who think the trainers and conditioning staff should put in OT and take time out from their lives to go over to casey hamptins house every night and cook and spoon feed him his dinner.

You are just being argumentative, which is prety clear to anybody who reads this thread.

I am not trying to make some cententious stand or earth-shattering revelation here. if your team is consistently near the top of teh league, as far as injuries to key players, repeatedly, year after year, something about their training regimen must change.

That is common sense. I didn't say they need to spoon-feed Casey Hampton-- don't be a tard.

also i will let you ponder why james harrison is probably the most physical hitter in the nfl (im sure you will contend hundreds are more physical and hit harder) PLUS one of the most conditioned & hardest workers, yet still sustains injuries.

- FIRE THE TRAINING STAFF!!!!

Aldon Smith is not a physical player? How about Suh? Von Miller might have something to say about that. Tamba Hali was manhandling our Oline a couple weeks back.

Your excuses and "arguments" are pretty thin, my man.

Also, I never said to fire anybody-- that is YOUR STRAWMAN. i simple think they need to do some analysis and re-evaluate their current methods-- they obviously (to everyone except "hipchest") need some tweaking and adjustment.

I don't know why you have to always be so argumentative in every thread and jump to such extremes.

Last edited by Riddle_Of_Steel; 11-30-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Riddle_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #33
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
I'm not sure what the reasons are behind all of these injuries either.

however, I do think this is an issue the Steelers need to take a good hard look at to see if any changes should be implemented to improve the players' conditioning and susceptibility to injuries.
Not according to Tony. The Steelers are just lazy and they started being one of the hardest hitting teams only since Tomlin became head coach.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #34
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,850 Times in 4,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Not according to Tony. The Steelers are just lazy and they started being one of the hardest hitting teams only since Tomlin became head coach.
you do know that continuing to lie about my stance doesnt make yours any more correct, right?

i never said the steelers are lazy, infact, i just pointed out that james harrison is probably 1 of the hardest working, most conditioned atheletes in the nfl. yet still injured.

polamalu trains with marinovich. while unorthodox and low impact, it is designed for flexibility and limberness. he gave that up (what has specifically worked for him) this offseason to be with the team, and his calf hasnt been right all year. he was asked what more he could do to heal quicker. he didnt mention better trainers. instead he said "testosterone and HGH".

i guess steelerfans would be happier if our teams conditioning program was cheating like all these others in the league.

ike taylor trains every offseason with tom shaw every summer. was one of the 1st pros to do so, and now half a dozen players join him. hes never really been injured even though he is one of the hardest hitting sure tackling CB's in the league.

james farrior was one who worked with him. only missed a few games in his entire career to injury.

ryan clark trains rigorously in the offseason and during it. really only misses a game due to concussions and sickle cell, yet he is one of the hardest hitting safeties in the league.

i can give you a list of players who attend the weekly massage sessions hosted at his house at night.

i can also give you a list of the OL who get together and train and condition at Team Esi in pittsburgh.

the point is in addition to what the team provides, it is STILL on the players to be in the proper shape, and even when they are (harrison, troy) sometimes that is not enough.

these are grown men, who have jobs as professionals. they arent in college and weightlifting isnt a class they have to attend and pass. the steelers trainers and conditioning team are not their to baby sit them.

anyone who thinks otherwise, just isnt really familiar with how things work in this profession.

do you think the bears and 49ers training staffs forced walter payton, and jerry rice to go out and run hills?

some atheletes work hard enough just to get by. others work HARD out of fear that someone out there is working even harder.

to quote the article above, if everybody was the "gold standard" then it wouldnt be the gold standard.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #35
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Look, Tony. I don't feel like arguing with you-- this is going nowhere and it is all for naught.

I am not sayig we need to fire anybody, or that the training staff sucks. They just need to look at teh results the last few seasons, and possibly look at revamping the training program a little bit. OTA's have been shortened, yes, but maybe Tomlin should think about turning up the jiuce a little on his training camps. They are notorious for being soft, which has not really worked I don't think. It is hard to argue against our list of injuriesd the last two seasons.

Guys shouldn't be "playing themselves to game shape" like Big Snack has been doing the last few seasons. They should be ready to go come day 1 of the season.

Anything beyond the above-- and it isn't what I was trying to convey.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #36
SteelMusic
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 9792

Bump....

After all of the injuries in week one, it looks like this trend continues this year. Did any other team have this many key injuries in week one?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #37
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMusic View Post
Bump....

After all of the injuries in week one, it looks like this trend continues this year. Did any other team have this many key injuries in week one?
Philly had this many in the first 2 days of camp.

you are not suggesting that the strength and conditioning coaches would have prevented DeCastro from intentionally blowing up Pouncey's knee are you?

or LS Howling from being a tiny smurf?

or foote from being old?

I'll give you that they could have possibly helped reduce the likelyhood of the foote injury, but not eliminate the chances all together.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #38
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

I apologize if this information has already been presented, BUT

Does anyone have any statistics showing our starters games missed vs. the league ave?

I think this stat would be very telling.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #39
PeckerWood
Team Owner

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,420 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

what about the reduced practice at TOA and training camp signed by players and owners in the last contract? could this be factoring in more injuries?
PeckerWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #40
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeckerWood View Post
what about the reduced practice at TOA and training camp signed by players and owners in the last contract? could this be factoring in more injuries?
As soon as the ink dried on that deal, expert analyst Pat Kirwan said to expect many more injuries, because of just that.

he was right. Ive heard plenty of retired and current coaches and players agree.