Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,695 Times in 5,242 Posts
My Mood: Amazed
Default Haley: Dwyer needs to prove himself as a starter

Steelers notebook: Haley: Dwyer needs to prove himself as a starter

By Alan Robinson
Published: Thursday, November 29, 2012

Offensive coordinator Todd Haley suggests fumbles weren’t the only reason Jonathan Dwyer couldn’t secure the starting running back’s job until now. When he carries a couple of plays in a row, Dwyer sometimes signals for a replacement.

“Jonathan’s got to show he can take the bulk of the carries without needing a break or taking a few plays off on the sideline,” Haley said. “That will kind of be what defines Jonathan as his career moves forward. He’s getting a great opportunity. We’ve been excited about some of the things he’s done, and hopefully he goes in and takes this role seriously and won’t let us take him off the field.”

• Just because they make a comfortable living doesn’t mean some Steelers don’t dream of winning the Powerball. Casey Hampton, Shaun Suisham, Drew Butler and Greg Warren kicked in $50 apiece to buy 100 tickets for the $587.5 million Powerball drawing Wednesday. One ticket had four winning numbers — 5, 16, 23, 29 — and was one number away from a $1 million payoff. They had No. 2 instead of 22. They’ll settle for $105. “It was close,” said Butler, the rookie punter. “It is losing, but I am pretty sure it is a cool story because to get those four numbers is like a 1-in-20,000 chance.” And if they had won the big one? “Somebody hit me up on Twitter and said playing for the Steelers was like hitting the lottery,” Butler said. “I would take it and still be playing.”

• Speaking of long odds, the Steelers are 0-6 against the Ravens when Ben Roethlisberger doesn’t start. The Ravens have won 15 consecutive home games and 12 in a row in the AFC North. And the Steelers are expected to start backup quarterback Charlie Batch, who is 0-2 against the Ravens. “They’ve beat us three (straight) times,” safety Ryan Clark said. “They kind of have our number right now, no matter who is playing quarterback.”

• Linebackers coach Keith Butler also has some goals for productive but frequently injured linebacker LaMarr Woodley: Do more conditioning work. Woodley (high ankle sprain) hasn’t practiced this week and isn’t expected to play in Baltimore. “The thing I will tell him is he needs to get his hamstrings in shape,” Butler said. “He worked harder than he ever has to get in shape, but he needs to work on his hamstrings.” Woodley missed one game and most of two others with injuries this season.

• Only one Steelers player, center Maurkice Pouncey, leads his position in AFC Pro Bowl voting. At most positions, the Steelers don’t have anyone close to the lead.

• Left tackle Max Starks (back) returned to practice Thursday after sitting out a day. Receiver Antonio Brown (ankle) and safety Troy Polamalu (calf) were full go for a second day in a row. Left guard Willie Colon (knee), quarterback Byron Leftwich (ribs), right tackle Mike Adams (ankle) and Woodley haven’t practiced this week. Hampton was ill and didn’t practice. Receiver Jerricho Cotchery (ribs) was limited both days.

• No Steelers opponent has gained 300 yards in the past six games; the Ravens are averaging 421.2 yards per game while going 5-0 at home. And while Ray Rice was limited to 40 yards on 20 carries during Baltimore’s 13-10 win at Heinz Field two weeks ago, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau doesn’t expect an efficient Baltimore offense to do much differently this time to create more running room for Rice. “He is tough to hold. Our guys just had a really good game against him,” LeBeau said. “You look at their record. They aren’t going to change what they are doing.”

• Hampton was impressed with Rice’s game-saving fourth-and-29 conversion Sunday in San Diego; he was less than excited about the Chargers’ reaction to a play Hampton can’t envision occurring to the Steelers. “That’s bad defense right there, that’s bad defense,” Hampton said. “There’s no way you can let that happen.”

• Rice said there is no reason the Ravens and Steelers can’t be civil to each other, despite a rivalry that is arguably the NFL’s best. But he can’t see himself going into another team’s locker room after a game, as Clark did to talk to Ed Reed following the Nov. 18 game. “I don’t think I would go into their locker room. I know Ed Reed and Clark have a different relationship. They call each other on the phone,” Rice said. “I just have never been the guy that has been in another team’s locker room. I don’t know what that is like.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2DgD2hFvu
Old 11-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,631 Times in 4,008 Posts
Default Re: Haley: Dwyer needs to prove himself as a starter

seems like todd haley needs to spend more time with fans on this board who think mendenhall is just mailing it in (forget coming off major reconstructive knee surgery and an achilles injury) and that dwyer is "just fine".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post

• Rice said there is no reason the Ravens and Steelers can’t be civil to each other, despite a rivalry that is arguably the NFL’s best. But he can’t see himself going into another team’s locker room after a game, as Clark did to talk to Ed Reed following the Nov. 18 game. “I don’t think I would go into their locker room. I know Ed Reed and Clark have a different relationship. They call each other on the phone,” Rice said. “I just have never been the guy that has been in another team’s locker room. I don’t know what that is like.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2DgD2hFvu
thats why ray rice is known as "hey diddle diddle colon hamster" and not the "wiz kid".

ryan and ed share a bond other than playing similar positions- his name is sean taylor and the 5th anniversary of his murder was coming up. believe it or not, some things are bigger to these players other than the game and the rivalry.

infact steelers team owner, dan rooney, even visited their douchebag head coach harbaugh, to offer congrats and pleasantries on the win.

of course that is too big for that mental midget to understand. after all it was ray rice who had to lie about his friend mendenhall sending texts to him talking shit, to inspire ray lewis and the rest of the defense to put a bounty out on him several years back.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,735 Times in 903 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Butler's comment that "Woodley needs to get his hamstrings in better condition," says a lot.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Butler's comment that "Woodley needs to get his hamstrings in better condition," says a lot.
yup. you'd think making millions of dollars - you might feel a little more obligated than that

what a "donger"

Sounds like a lot of the coaches are calling out the players to be more committed. I like it.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Terminator (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,631 Times in 4,008 Posts

sitting in the ice tub is akin to torture.

according to some members here, the training staff and conditioning coaches either need to bound and gag woodley and throw him in the tubs, or jump in the tubs themselves for the player.

rooneys need to make it happen or fire them, as they are obviously slacking and doing something wrong.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
sitting in the ice tub is akin to torture.

according to some members here, the training staff and conditioning coaches either need to bound and gag woodley and throw him in the tubs, or jump in the tubs themselves for the player.

rooneys need to make it happen or fire them, as they are obviously slacking and doing something wrong.
lol - you can't question the insane passion for the Steelers though - the fact we are discussing the training and conditioning staff is pretty intense for any fan base of any sport (and freakin hilarious) borderline obsessive - you bet

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

Since the first time I saw him play in the NFL I knew we should replace Mendenhall with him, mendy even healthy was an embarrassment. I love seeing Dwyer bounce off people and plow them over, as opposed to mendy doing a square dance and then dropping the ball. Yeah Dwyer's Stamina is not very good, but that can be worked on. The reason he get's so tired is because he actually works very hard at his job and does a good job of it, plus I think he smoke reefer.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
Since the first time I saw him play in the NFL I knew we should replace Mendenhall with him, mendy even healthy was an embarrassment. I love seeing Dwyer bounce off people and plow them over, as opposed to mendy doing a square dance and then dropping the ball. Yeah Dwyer's Stamina is not very good, but that can be worked on. The reason he get's so tired is because he actually works very hard at his job and does a good job of it, plus I think he smoke reefer.
I've never seen anything Dwyer does that is any better than any other back his size. No burst, no quick feet.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

You must be watching the wrong games or something, can you make sure your TV set to the same input as your receiver and not your x -box, I have a feeling you may have been watching madden for 12 weeks now with out noticing. Try pressing the "input" button on your remote control, if this does not fix the issue eat the remote.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Rofl, you probably see all these posts about ben being out and think "yea right I'm watching him right now, damn pranksters" lol