Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #61
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,371 Times in 4,307 Posts
Default Re: David Petraeus resigns from CIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Last time I checked Bush wasn't up for any cabinet jobs.
hell no...

they wont even let him do a commercial or attend the convention!
Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #62
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

the cover-up thickens

Petraeus believed terrorists behind Libya attack

David Petraeus testified that the original CIA talking points about Benghazzi indicated it was a terrorist act and cited al Qaeda involvement. Somewhere after leaving CIA, the talking points were changed. He did not know who changed them.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/15...ssessment.html
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #63
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,974 Times in 2,869 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Transcript via CNN Headline News:

Kyra Phillips: I do have some new information. Let me say first Robin… it’s been really disappointing and shocking to learn about this. I think even more so shocking because this is somebody of great discipline and great leadership and I never, ever expected, of all the men and women I know in uniform, this is an individual that I never would have expected this to happen [with].

With that said, you know, in our first conversation, he had told me he had engaged in something dishonorable. He sought to do the honorable thing in response and that was to come forward. He was very clear that he screwed up terribly — it was all his fault — even that he felt fortunate to have a wife who is far better than he deserves. Obviously he’s taking it really hard. He knows he made a big mistake. He does want to move forward making things work with his family. He doesn’t want to throw 37 years out the window with his wife.

Robin Meade: You know, on the surface it looks like an extramarital affair, but there are concerns about security clearance. Did he talk about Paula Broadwell? Did she have access to information that other people did not, the public did not? Especially regarding Benghazi? I think some people feel she seemingly alluded to some information that she had in a speech recently.

KP: Correct. And I will say, Robin, he has insisted to me that he has never passed classified information to Paula Broadwell. As long as I have known him, he has never wavered on classified information, ever. And to the best of my knowledge, you know, that has always been sacrosanct. I have also never known him to tell me something that is not true, Robin.

RM: Did he say how this may relate to Behghazi? I know he has to testify this week about Benghazi and, you wonder, about the scandal too.

KP: Yes. He has said this has nothing to do with Benghazi and he wants to testify. He will testify. He has maintained to me all along this was a personal failing, Robin, which, as I said, to me was quite stunning and to many other people. He’s not the type of person that I’ve ever known to fail at anything, knowing [him] as long as I have over the years. And so he has made it very clear that this was about an extramarital affair and not over classified information or Benghazi.

http://www.politicususa.com/david-pe...-benghazi.html

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #64
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,974 Times in 2,869 Posts
My Mood: Tired

WASHINGTON (AP) — Ex-CIA Director David Petraeus was whisked clandestinely into a secure room beneath the Capitol, escaping waiting crowds of photographers and television cameras, to meet privately on Friday with members of Congress for the first time since he resigned over an extramarital affair with his biographer.

The retired four-star general, who until last week was one of America's most respected military leaders, discussed with the House and Senate intelligence committees the Sept. 11 attack against the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that left four Americans dead. He did not discuss his affair with Paula Broadwell, except to say his departure was not tied to the Libya attack. The scandal ended his career and has damaged others, and has led to a new CIA internal investigation.

The surreptitious entrance in the morning attested to the circus-like atmosphere of the scandal that has preoccupied Washington, even as the possibility of war loomed in Israel and the U.S. government faced a market-rattling "fiscal cliff" that could imperil a still-fragile economy. The tangled web has so far enveloped Petraeus; the top American commander in Afghanistan, Gen. John Allen; two Florida socialites and a decorated FBI counterterrorism agent.

Lawmakers said the affair came up only briefly at the top of Petraeus' 90-minute appearance before the House committee.

"He did express deep regret to the committee for the circumstances for his departure" and reassured Congress that the Libya attack had nothing to do with his resignation, said Rep. Jim Langevin, D-R.I.

Petraeus also addressed his affair at the opening of the Senate hearing.

"He was very clear his resignation was tied solely to his personal behavior. He was apologetic and regretful but still Gen. Petraeus," Sen. Mark Udall, D-Colo., said as he left the hearing early to catch a flight.

Unlike previous appearances at the Capitol, when Petraeus has walked through the front door and greeted reporters, he was sneaked inside the secure hearing room for the morning testimony in a manner more suited to a covert operative, through a network of underground hallways. Police closed down entire corridors in the Capitol.

Congress sets its own security and protective police presence for witnesses. It's not unusual for those asked to testify to negotiate with lawmakers the details of how they will be admitted. Executives and celebrities are sometimes also allowed to make a private entrance.

Petraeus, 60, acknowledged last week publicly that he had cheated on his wife of 38 years with Broadwell, who is 40.

The FBI began investigating the matter last summer but didn't notify the White House or Congress until after the election.

In the investigation, the FBI uncovered flirtatious emails between Allen and Florida socialite Jill Kelley, both of them married. President Barack Obama has put a promotion nomination for Allen on hold.

Petraeus, in his first media interview since he resigned, told CNN this week that he had never given classified information to Broadwell. She has said she didn't receive such material from Petraeus.

But the FBI found a substantial number of classified documents on Broadwell's computer and in her home, according to a law enforcement official, and is investigating how she got them. That official spoke only on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to speak publicly about the case. The Army has now suspended her security clearance.

The CIA on Thursday opened an exploratory investigation into Petraeus' conduct. The inquiry "doesn't presuppose any particular outcome," said CIA spokesman Preston Golson. At the same time, Army officials say that, at this point, there is no appetite for recalling Petraeus to active duty to pursue any adultery charges against him.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/petra...zi-questioning

General Petraeus, sworn under oath, in public hearings today "disputed Republican suggestions that the White House misled the public on what led to the violence in the midst of President Barack Obama's re-election campaign" according to Rep. Adam Schiff.

Rep Schiff adds

"There was an interagency process to draft it, not a political process," Schiff said after the hearing. "They came up with the best assessment without compromising classified information or source or methods. So changes were made to protect classified information.

"The general was adamant there was no politicization of the process, no White House interference or political agenda," Schiff said. "He completely debunked that idea."

For Republicans politicizing Benghazi this is a serious, insulting blow. Their greatest hero takes Obama's side on this issue under oath.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #65
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,399 Times in 3,688 Posts

Apparently Fox News planned to cut out the GOP as the middlemen and run its own 2012 Presidential campaign

Roger Ailes, the longtime Republican media guru, founder of Fox News and its current chairman, had some advice last year for then-Gen. David H. Petraeus.

So in spring 2011, Ailes asked a Fox News analyst headed to Afghanistan to pass on his thoughts to Petraeus, who was then the commander of U.S. and coalition forces there. Petraeus, Ailes advised, should turn down an expected offer from President Obama to become CIA director and accept nothing less than the chairmanship of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the top military post. If Obama did not offer the Joint Chiefs post, Petraeus should resign from the military and run for president, Ailes suggested.

The Fox News chairman’s message was delivered to Petraeus by Kathleen T. McFarland, a Fox News national security analyst and former national security and Pentagon aide in three Republican administrations. She did so at the end of a 90-minute, unfiltered conversation with Petraeus that touched on the general’s future, his relationship with the media and his political aspirations — or lack thereof. The Washington Post has obtained a digital recording from the meeting, which took place in Petraeus’s office in Kabul.

McFarland also said that Ailes — who had a decades-long career as a Republican political consultant, advising Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush — might resign as head of Fox to run a Petraeus presidential campaign. At one point, McFarland and Petraeus spoke about the possibility that Rupert Murdoch, the head of News Corp., which owns Fox News, would “bankroll” the campaign

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...y.html?hpid=z2

Right wing media baron bankrolls campaign of general for President - reads like a Seven Days In May type political novel
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote