Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Sid & Penguins about to save NHL season?

Penguins' power play brings deal closer

At the center of this fragile momentum is the presence of the Pittsburgh Penguins, led by reclusive billionaire owner Ron Burkle, who shined brightly in talks Tuesday, according to sources, the players receptive to his tone.

Burkle’s first appearance in labor talks comes at a critical time in the process, with both sides having tried nearly everything else -- mediation, large group meetings, small group meetings, etc.

When NHL commissioner Gary Bettman offered to bench himself from this meeting as long as NHLPA counterpart Donald Fehr did as well, it was an opportunity for Burkle to enter the picture and do his thing.

Burkle over the past couple of weeks had conversed with Sidney Crosby's agent, Pat Brisson, and fellow Penguins owner Mario Lemieux and to some degree Crosby, as well, as the group tried to find common ground among the obvious, divisive issues between both sides of the labor impasse.

Talk about a Penguins power play.

Lemieux, in town for Wednesday’s board of governors meeting, was spotted in the hotel lobby along with Brisson and others after the meeting Tuesday night, once again underlying all of their common interest in the cause.

Crosby was certainly happy to see Burkle get added to Tuesday’s owners-players meeting, having much respect for the Penguins owner and certainly the hope that his inclusion would bring a moderate voice to the owners’ side at a time when players were growing weary of hearing from hard-liners such as Jeremy Jacobs (who was nevertheless still in the room Tuesday).

Burkle’s track record in his private business life suggests that he was just the man to try to find middle ground. When the Pittsburgh arena deal nearly fell through, Burkle’s involvement helped save the project. His awards from labor groups in California underline his ability to negotiate fairly.

Combined with a similar desire shared by Crosby to do everything possible to save a season, the Penguins owner and his superstar captain put their best feet forward Tuesday in an attempt to push things back in the right direction.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...gs-deal-closer
---------------------------

Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamudThis will be a severe blow to #Caps and Ovi fans everywhere. Crosby's saving a season while Ovi's making big bucks in Russia is unbeatable.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Sid & Penguins about to save NHL season?

They better...cause I have some serious butt hurt going on without any hockey right now. Not holding my breath though.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

"The Day Sid Saved Hockey"

I could write those headlines
Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
They better...cause I have some serious butt hurt going on without any hockey right now. Not holding my breath though.

There's a dirty joke here somewhere....

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Well, that accomplished nothing. So much for hockey this year. I feel like this week was the last chance to get something done.

NHLPA proposal rejected; no talks scheduled
Thursday, 12.06.2012 / 8:48 PM / News
By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Senior Writer

NEW YORK -- National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman said Thursday that the Union's proposal for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement -- presented in an hour-long meeting Thursday -- was not acceptable.

No further negotiation meetings are scheduled at this time.

"We're going to take a deep breath and look at where we are and what needs to be accomplished, but we have moved dramatically and we are proposing a long-term system that will pay the players billions and billions of dollars over its term, but we have to have a system that works right," Commissioner Bettman said during a press conference at the Westin Hotel. "It's all part of the package. I am disappointed beyond belief that we are where we are tonight and we're going to have to take a deep breath and regroup."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=647182

---------------------------------------------

Ron Burkle's statements...

"The idea to put players and owners together in the same room was a refreshing idea. Commissioner Bettman should be thanked for proposing it and the Fehrs should be thanked for agreeing to it.

The players came with a strong desire to get back to playing hockey. They were professional and did a good job of expressing their concerns and listening to ours. We wanted to move quickly and decisively. We have all spent too much time without any real progress at the expense of our fans, our sponsors and the communities we serve. It was time to make bold moves and get a deal. Many people think we got over our skis and they are probably right, but we wanted to do everything we could to get back to hockey now. We didn't hold back.

We made substantial movement on our end quickly, but unfortunately that was not met with the same level of movement from the other side. The players asked us to be patient and keep working with them. |t's not what they do and they wanted us to know they were committed.

We understood and appreciate their situation. We came back with an aggressive commitment to pensions which we felt was well received. We needed a response on key items that were important to us, but we were optimistic that we were down to very few issues. I believe a deal was within reach.

We were therefore surprised when the Fehrs made a unilateral and "non-negotiable" decision - which is their right, to end the player/owner process that has moved us farther in two days than we have moved at any time in the past months.

I want to thank the players involved for their hard work as we tried to reach a deal.

I hope that going backwards does not prevent a deal."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=647180
Old 12-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

the cookie crumbles

Michael Russo @Russostrib
Players hire Fehr to potentially lose 100% of their salaries, precious time in a short career and decertify their union? #goodhire

I don't like how Don Fehr strutted in front of the cameras with a BS "it's over" msg tonight. Played with fans heartstrings. It's shameful.

This league is being destroyed. Employees will face layoffs soon. This is not a game. Hope players realize whom they're listening to now

Last edited by Fire Haley; 12-07-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

There's an echo in here.

But yeah, I'm not trying to side with either side completely on this, but this latest breakdown certainly seems to fall heavily on the players and union. It just feels like the whole Hostess debacle, where the unions played chicken with the company.

Oh, and Fehr and Bettman can both go fuck themselves.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Fire Haley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
There's an echo in here.
I've got blisters on my fingers
Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Well dry palming yourself.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
Fire Haley
Banned

Games cancelled through Dec 30th.

They say they have till around Jan 30th to decide....takes at least 48 games to make the season legit