Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2013 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,138 Times in 3,917 Posts
Default Re: Free Agents for next season!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
I just don't see us taking Dion Jordan ... and please no TJ Mcdonald ... I could see them taking Anthony Barr OLB -UCLA or Brandon Jenkins OLB- FSU in the 2nd...
If you're saying they won't take Jordan because of his height and Barr better fits their scheme - you're off. Again, Jordan has the speed and agility which is something Harrison is lacking. There's a reason why those guys aren't first round picks and Jordan is.

What's your issue with McDonald?
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
If you're saying they won't take Jordan because of his height and Barr better fits their scheme - you're off. Again, Jordan has the speed and agility which is something Harrison is lacking. There's a reason why those guys aren't first round picks and Jordan is.

What's your issue with McDonald?
I like Brandon Jenkins better then Barr but Barr has had the season this year... and Jordan is a first round pick for a 4-3 End ... JPP style ... not to sure about a 3-4 team, you seem to be sold though, i'll admit I haven't watched much of him to know how he does standing up

I also like Sean Porter from Texas A&M
and Jamie Collins from Southern Missouri ... both can probably be had in the 3rd and maybe Jenkins also

So I wouldn't be mad with safety 1st and 2nd... if say Reid and Elam / Rambo fell to where we could grab both

And McDonald is Taylor Mayes 2.0 ,,, big and fast but nothing else ... I just don't see instincts or knowledge with him, and at safety that's the most important thing... see Ryan Clark

Now I haven't watched any USC games... but I've watched clips of him on Youtube and not real impressed
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
Jordan is a first round pick for a 4-3 End ... JPP style ... not to sure about a 3-4 team, you seem to be sold though, i'll admit I haven't watched much of him to know how he does standing up

And McDonald is Taylor Mayes 2.0 ,,, big and fast but nothing else ... I just don't see instincts or knowledge with him, and at safety that's the most important thing... see Ryan Clark

Now I haven't watched any USC games... but I've watched clips of him on Youtube and not real impressed
Jordan isn't big enough to play DE in the NFL. He's 240 pounds and very lean. I can't see him putting on enough muscle to play DE. He does share very similar qualities to JPP in terms of speed and athleticism. However, he's more comparable to Aldon Smith in terms of his production, strength and potential. He'll be an OLB in a 3-4 defense where he fits best and I think the Steelers can get him if rushers fall again this year which I think is very likely. If the Power Rankings told true and the Steelers are picking at 21 (which I very much doubt) Jordan will be sitting on the board for them.

I haven't really watched a lot of USC games either, but I did watch the UCLA - USC game and I'll tell you that McDonald was the only thing that stood out to me on their defense. He showed great instincts and ball ability and forced UCLA to throw away from him and at their weak corners. I mean, he's raw - you're right - but I see something in him that actually does remind me a lot of Clark. I think he's worth the pick in the second / third round.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #14
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,944 Times in 7,580 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
I would bet my life on the fact the Steelers don't go NT in the first round. I'd also be willing to bet very large sums of money they don't go NT at all. Why? They wouldn't have kept around Ta'amu if they felt they could just replace him in the next draft - they think they have something with him. You also mentioned McClendon - and if he's able to play with any consistency from the flashes of brilliance he's shown, we'll be good at NT for a long, long time.

I love Matt Elam in the second round. That being said, he's a top 40 pick and we'd have to trade up to grab him. He plays a lot like Polamalu and I think other teams are seeing this fact, sadly.

While I disagree that we should keep Troy around, I think you're absolutely right in the fact that they keep him. However, even if they do, I'm not sold - and neither is Pittsburgh - on Will Allen being anything more than a spot-starter. We absolutely need to address Safety in the first two rounds - preferably the second. Grabbing an OLB in the first with all the talent in this draft to replace a guy like Harrison just makes sense at this point.

In this mock, we're picking at 21 based on Power Rankings. I know, Power Rankings mean absolute dick - I'd have us going at 32 which completely changes the dynamic of the draft. Anyway, here we go.

RD 1 - Dion Jordan / DE (ROLB for us) - Oregon

RD 2 - TJ McDonald / FS - USC

RD 3 - Robert Lester / SS - 'Bama

RD 4 - Nico Johnson / ILB - 'Bama

... and I haven't decided on the later rounds yet. Grabbing an OLB to me in the first round has to be priority. Worilds hasn't shown he can do anything as the weak side linebacker and we need to address it before it becomes a glaring hole. Woodley has had to fight through double - sometimes triple - teams this year and grabbing Jordan would ensure Woodley gets to the quarterback.

Other than our differing opinions on the first round, I think we're mostly together on what we need to address. I really like the Nico Johnson pick, too in the fourth round. If we end up with this kind of draft - look out. All of these kids could start week 1 next year, and we'd have one of the youngest defenses in the NFL from one draft.
I thought that they had waived Ta'amu last week... They kept him, even after the suspension, and then, I thought that they cut him.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-squad-661764/

Assuming it's not a NT (we can debate that later), I like Elam. I really like Elam. I had hoped that he would slip to the end of R2, but daggnabbit, he had to go & have a great season. LOL

Wiil Dion Jordan be there at 32?

If not, I am leaning towards Elam at 32.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I thought that they had waived Ta'amu last week... They kept him, even after the suspension, and then, I thought that they cut him.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-squad-661764/

Assuming it's not a NT (we can debate that later), I like Elam. I really like Elam. I had hoped that he would slip to the end of R2, but daggnabbit, he had to go & have a great season. LOL

Wiil Dion Jordan be there at 32?

If not, I am leaning towards Elam at 32.
He was resigned to the practice squad after that, though.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-squad-662022/

Anyway, I do like Elam. I think he's definitely worth a first round pick, and assuming we're picking at 32, we can't miss with him. I was hoping he'd have a terrible year too and he'd just be sitting there in the second round waiting for us to pick him, but nooooo - he had to go off and play well and catch everyone's eye.

Dion won't be there at 32. He's probably a top 15 pick based on his potential and upside, but pass rushers slid last year and I think they will this year. If we are picking at 21, I think we can have a choice of who to take in terms of OLB. Montgomery, Mosley, Ogletree and Jordan will be on the board. I mean, any of those guys would be worth that pick which is why I wasn't jumping off any buildings when we struggled early in the year.

If we're at 32, it's gotta be Elam, barring something really unexpected happens. If they're not happy with Elam, trade up and get Mosley / Montgomery / Jordan and solidify our OLB for the next decade with Woodley and whomever on the other side.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,944 Times in 7,580 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
He was resigned to the practice squad after that, though.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-squad-662022/

Anyway, I do like Elam. I think he's definitely worth a first round pick, and assuming we're picking at 32, we can't miss with him. I was hoping he'd have a terrible year too and he'd just be sitting there in the second round waiting for us to pick him, but nooooo - he had to go off and play well and catch everyone's eye.

Dion won't be there at 32. He's probably a top 15 pick based on his potential and upside, but pass rushers slid last year and I think they will this year. If we are picking at 21, I think we can have a choice of who to take in terms of OLB. Montgomery, Mosley, Ogletree and Jordan will be on the board. I mean, any of those guys would be worth that pick which is why I wasn't jumping off any buildings when we struggled early in the year.

If we're at 32, it's gotta be Elam, barring something really unexpected happens. If they're not happy with Elam, trade up and get Mosley / Montgomery / Jordan and solidify our OLB for the next decade with Woodley and whomever on the other side.
TA'AMU: That's great news, because I really liked that guy. I remember sitting in a sports bar with my brother-in-law, and he was (& still is) saying that Casey the Hutt is still awesome... and I pointed to the screen, where Ta'amu was blowing up a run play, 5 yards deep in the backfield, and I said, "I want him."

Then, he got injured. Then he dropped in the draft. And, the Steelers got a steal in R4. [Brian Baldinger, on NFL Network, called him the steal if the draft.]

Anyway, it makes me happy that they brought him back.

ELAM: How selfish of him to have a great season, & rise in the draft. Next time, Mr. Elam, why don't you think about someone else besides yourself... (namely: me).

All joking aside, if NT is solid (which it should be with McClendon and/or Ta'amu), then I'm leaning towards "reaching" (if one can really call it that) for Elam at 32.

OLB: I agree that a pass rush is needed. I long for the days of Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter, and James Harrison (circa 2008). Mosley, Jordan, or Ogletree would be great additions... but, I don't want to trade up too far. Maybe from 32 to 25, for a R4 pick... eh... hmmm... let me think about that one.. [I think Montgomery goes way higher/too high to realistically draft up for.]
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
TA'AMU: That's great news, because I really liked that guy. I remember sitting in a sports bar with my brother-in-law, and he was (& still is) saying that Casey the Hutt is still awesome... and I pointed to the screen, where Ta'amu was blowing up a run play, 5 yards deep in the backfield, and I said, "I want him."

Then, he got injured. Then he dropped in the draft. And, the Steelers got a steal in R4. [Brian Baldinger, on NFL Network, called him the steal if the draft.]

Anyway, it makes me happy that they brought him back.

ELAM: How selfish of him to have a great season, & rise in the draft. Next time, Mr. Elam, why don't you think about someone else besides yourself... (namely: me).

All joking aside, if NT is solid (which it should be with McClendon and/or Ta'amu), then I'm leaning towards "reaching" (if one can really call it that) for Elam at 32.

OLB: I agree that a pass rush is needed. I long for the days of Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter, and James Harrison (circa 2008). Mosley, Jordan, or Ogletree would be great additions... but, I don't want to trade up too far. Maybe from 32 to 25, for a R4 pick... eh... hmmm... let me think about that one.. [I think Montgomery goes way higher/too high to realistically draft up for.]
There's going to be a change in philosophy when it comes to the defensive line. When we have guys like Ta'amu and McClendon that are capable of blowing up an offensive line like these two are - wow. Our philosophy should be less "eat blockers" and more "get in the backfield. now." and these guys are the real deal. He disappointed in the preseason, but another offseason for Alameda will be great. Under the veteran leadership of our guys and his dedication to improve, he'll be our guy soon.

Elam at 32 would be terrific, despite his selfish qualities.

Montgomery has been plummeting down the boards since early in the season. He won't be there at 32 - not even close, but I would be very confident in saying he'd be there at 21. His criticism (often unwarranted and completely misplaced) has caused him to drop. If he's there at 21, he's the only guy I take over Jordan at that point.

Montgomery / Jordan (ROLB) - Johnson / Timmons (ILB) - Woodley (LOLB)

... Those guys get me as excited as Lloyd, Joey and James did.