Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #11
Darkstorm05
Team Captain
 
Darkstorm05's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 19897
Thanks: 7
Thanked 69 Times in 46 Posts
Default Re: Steelers release QB Brian Hoyer, promote CB Josh Victorian

It's funny, because everyone seemed to think he would start for Batch, and then be our #2 QB for years. No brand new QB is going to see a snap in Pittsburgh unless at least 3 other QB's go out hurt first. Sorry, but this is the reality on this team.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
desertsteel
Assistant Coach
 
desertsteel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,256
Gender: Male
Member Number: 915
Thanks: 220
Thanked 577 Times in 304 Posts
Default Re: Steelers release QB Brian Hoyer, promote CB Josh Victorian

I have a strong feeling that we will have 1 if not 2 new backups next year. If he's not signed to the practice squad, I'm sure it means that they didn't like what they saw in the kid. I trust them. They watched him practice, not me.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,912
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,168
Thanked 9,642 Times in 4,008 Posts
Default Re: Steelers release QB Brian Hoyer, promote CB Josh Victorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
It's funny, because everyone seemed to think he would start for Batch, and then be our #2 QB for years. No brand new QB is going to see a snap in Pittsburgh unless at least 3 other QB's go out hurt first. Sorry, but this is the reality on this team.
actually it is a reality across the entire nfl.

who was the last qb to come in off the street in the 2nd half of a season and make a start? it just doesnt happen.

brian hoyer probably coulda played for both the jets and the cardinals last weekend and still only managed a 3-3 tie (if he didnt find a way to lose to himself 3-0).

hoyer was a desperation [we hope he never has to become] stop gap, who came with much less league and playing credibility than plexico burress did at wr.

he was on the street for a reason 3 weeks ago, just like he is on the street today (unless some privaleged steelerfans know something 32 professional teams, canadian league, areana leagues, etc. dont know).
__________________
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony hipchest For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #14
desertsteel
Assistant Coach
 
desertsteel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,256
Gender: Male
Member Number: 915
Thanks: 220
Thanked 577 Times in 304 Posts
Default Re: Steelers release QB Brian Hoyer, promote CB Josh Victorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
actually it is a reality across the entire nfl.

who was the last qb to come in off the street in the 2nd half of a season and make a start? it just doesnt happen.

brian hoyer probably coulda played for both the jets and the cardinals last weekend and still only managed a 3-3 tie (if he didnt find a way to lose to himself 3-0).

hoyer was a desperation [we hope he never has to become] stop gap, who came with much less league and playing credibility than plexico burress did at wr.

he was on the street for a reason 3 weeks ago, just like he is on the street today (unless some privaleged steelerfans know something 32 professional teams, canadian league, areana leagues, etc. dont know).
The reason is that too many NFL coaches fear for their jobs. There are probably other Kurt Warners out there but a couple of coaches would need to be fired in order to find them lol.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
Rick5895
Team President
 
Rick5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St.Thomas, ontario , canada
Posts: 2,154
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5148
Thanks: 23
Thanked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Default Re: Steelers release QB Brian Hoyer, promote CB Josh Victorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
The reason is that too many NFL coaches fear for their jobs. There are probably other Kurt Warners out there but a couple of coaches would need to be fired in order to find them lol.
Yes you are right there are likely another Warner or two out there. However he was discovered in a training camp, had time to play in the offense in camp and was the back up to Trent Green. Hoyer was an emergency pick up with our 1st and 2nd team QB's injured. No time for him to really learn the offense. If Hoyer is a "diamond in the rough" then you find this out in training camp not the 2nd half of the season.
Lets see if he comes back to us in camp next season, and see what he can or can't do. He was the logical cut to activate a DB to replace Ike.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #16
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,872
Member Number: 7718
Thanks: 96
Thanked 766 Times in 341 Posts
Default Re: Steelers release QB Brian Hoyer, promote CB Josh Victorian

A week removed from what may have been Charlie's greatest fill-in role as Steeler QB, yet I am of the opinion that he needs to ride off into the Sunset and take Lefty with him. We need younger and more durable backups for Ben and if one happens to show great promise possibly be the heir apparent in the years to come. Even at CB's age he is still better than Lefty, his slow long delivery leads to many INTs, near INTs, and passes defended/broken up.

PS do not know if Hoyer is/was the answer but the staff did not, so I will concede to their wisdom in this matter, just hope they do not wax nostalgic over the old guys.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #17
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter
 
Hawaii 5-0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Aloha State
Posts: 9,928
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24013
Thanks: 9,604
Thanked 12,721 Times in 5,252 Posts
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: Steelers release QB Brian Hoyer, promote CB Josh Victorian

by Ed Bouchette

#Steelers wanted this young quarterback to serve as No. 2; they had him, let him get away, couldn't get him back.

The quarterback the Steelers really wanted was Brian Hoyer and they let him slip through their hands. If Arizona had not put a second-round tender on him as an RFA, the Steelers were going to try to sign him.

However, they had him on their team when they signed him Nov. 20 to the 53-man roster after the injuries to Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich. They released him on Dec. 8 so they could add josh Victorian from the practice squad. That was a mistake, and they know it. Bruce Arians also must have known how much they wanted him back by placing the second-round tender on him. Hoyer signed that tender this week.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-...source=twitter
__________________
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #18
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter
 
Buddha Bus's Avatar
Default Re: Steelers release QB Brian Hoyer, promote CB Josh Victorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
by Ed Bouchette

#Steelers wanted this young quarterback to serve as No. 2; they had him, let him get away, couldn't get him back.

The quarterback the Steelers really wanted was Brian Hoyer and they let him slip through their hands. If Arizona had not put a second-round tender on him as an RFA, the Steelers were going to try to sign him.

However, they had him on their team when they signed him Nov. 20 to the 53-man roster after the injuries to Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich. They released him on Dec. 8 so they could add josh Victorian from the practice squad. That was a mistake, and they know it. Bruce Arians also must have known how much they wanted him back by placing the second-round tender on him. Hoyer signed that tender this week.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-...source=twitter
I'd still rather have Bruce Gradkowski than Brian Hoyer.
__________________

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #19
TRH
Living Legend
 
TRH's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bath, Ohio
Posts: 4,613
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17206
Thanks: 115
Thanked 291 Times in 199 Posts
Default Re: Steelers release QB Brian Hoyer, promote CB Josh Victorian

Victorian??? He was the worst player on the team last year. Makes Gay look like Darrell Revis.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 392
Member Number: 24256
Thanks: 3
Thanked 91 Times in 64 Posts
Default Re: Steelers release QB Brian Hoyer, promote CB Josh Victorian

good thing we kept lefty and batch and released hoyer
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sloppyjoe For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (03-22-2013)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts