Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #31
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 7,189 Times in 3,107 Posts
Default Re: Is it time to start Mendenhall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
Dwyer runs like a Steeler. The offensive line needs to get healthy and find some continuity,Mendy not needed.Once Decastro and Colon are back the running game will come around
This is everything that's wrong with the Steelers right now. What does this even mean? He's a one-dimensional, smash mouth runner that can only run up the middle and if that's not open he's ineffective? Maybe it's time to branch away from getting "the next Bettis" and move on to a different style of runner. It's time to change our ideology on running backs - let's look to the next AP and not an overweight, ineffective and out of shape running back like Dwyer and Redman are.

Look at the most successful running backs in the NFL right now - Foster, Forte and Peterson. Are they at all smash mouth runners? This isn't 2005. In this new NFL that's pass happy and based on speed and agility, grabbing a running back that can bounce it outside and still have the strength to run through guys is the new norm. We have to stop looking to the past and look to the future in terms of running backs - we don't have another Bettis. We don't want another Bettis.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #32
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

adrian peterson is the most smashmouth runner in the league. he'll knock your freaking block off.

the steelers O-Line still cant open holes on a consistant basis.

our last 2 rushing TD's were dwyer and rainey bouncing it to the outside after running into a wall.

its a shame that dwyer needs a blow after every 2 consecutive rushing attempts.

its also a shame that mendenhall appears to be in tomlins doghouse (possible physical and mental toughness issues???)
Old 12-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #33
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 1,332 Times in 639 Posts

Mendenhall would not do no better & dont blame Dwyer, blame the o-line ever since Mike Adams went down the run game was not the same just wait until adams and DD comes back them will judge
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #34
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Elite backs make due with what's given to them.

Peterson, Lynch, Rice, Gore.

Do those teams have elite O-Lines? Hardly. They get the job done because they are the best.
Most of those guys either have good lines, or they got eased into the league behind awesome lines. Peterson had a Hutchinson-led line, Rice's line his first few years was super solid. Mendehall could have world-beater talent (and I think he does) but he sees a hole about once every three months, so I'm not sure he knows what to do with one. His girlfriend must have similar complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-Still-Rules-14 View Post
I hate to do this to you, but of the top 30 rushers in NFL History, there are:

23 first-rounders
5 second-rounders
1 third-rounder
1 undrafted
Thank you . There's way too much silliness floating around this forum. An occasional dose of

is sorely needed, especially after a Steelers loss. It bears mentioning that one of those top-30 - the universally beloved Jerome Bettis - was a... you guessed it!... 1st round pick.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #35
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723

Mendenhall will be out of the league in a couple of years and become some left wing columnist on the Huffington Post. I just do not think he cares about football enough. Which just keeps me in amazement because he is a physical specimen. You do not sit a healthy Mendenhall the way Tomlin is without there being a mental issue going on. Mendenhall seems to be one of those guys that may have reached his limit with the rigors of an athletes life. All the meetings, orders, another man telling him what to do all the time. I get it to some degree, it's just unfortunate that all that talent will be wasted.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
TheVet (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #36
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion! Spear Toss Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
adrian peterson is the most smashmouth runner in the league. he'll knock your freaking block off.

the steelers O-Line still cant open holes on a consistant basis.

our last 2 rushing TD's were dwyer and rainey bouncing it to the outside after running into a wall.

its a shame that dwyer needs a blow after every 2 consecutive rushing attempts.

its also a shame that mendenhall appears to be in tomlins doghouse (possible physical and mental toughness issues???)
I prematurely thanked Tony for this post - 4 out of 5 good points! But then I clicked and saw point #5, LOL, can I unthank? As for point #5, move over Rover, cause Mendy will be sharing your space for quite awhile. By the way, does this doghouse have a TWITter feed? Woof! Don't drop the chew toy Mendy.

As for the running back issue: Wake up people, News Flash! We have an O-line problem.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #37
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
I prematurely thanked Tony for this post - 4 out of 5 good points! But then I clicked and saw point #5, LOL, can I unthank? As for point #5, move over Rover, cause Mendy will be sharing your space for quite awhile. By the way, does this doghouse have a TWITter feed? Woof! Don't drop the chew toy Mendy.

As for the running back issue: Wake up people, News Flash! We have an O-line problem.
I think Dulac called it correctly. Mendenhall's time on the inactive list ended today.

I'm not sure why people hold Rashard's history against him. His OC his first four seasons couldn't be bothered with developing the running game. Then he got hurt. Then he came back in what would have been record time, but for that slacker up in Minnesota. So much for him being mentally soft. Now he has four years of bad coaching to overcome in a hurry.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #38
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Mendy drops the ball.
Dwyer runs twice and needs a rest.
Redman can't fight through for 1 foot on 4th down.
Rainey is too small.
Who's left?
NO ONE!
I think it is obvious, we need to either draft a RB or trade for one. That's how we got Bettis.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #39
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion! Spear Toss Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I'm not sure why people hold Rashard's history against him. His OC his first four seasons couldn't be bothered with developing the running game.
I don't think we can blame the fumbling, the hesitation, the failure to hit the holes when they're there, the yards left on the table to avoid contact, and the general lack of desire and the low level of effort on the old OC. A player needs to make it happen, and at this point we know Mendy can't or won't.

On the other hand, maybe Arians was responsible for teaching him to sympathize with Osama Bin Laden and the 9/11 truther crazies, and also that the NFL is a slave league, but I don't have any evidence for that. I could buy it though.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #40
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,321 Times in 659 Posts

Yes, the offense could use a RB that has the speed to get to the edge, yet runs strong enough to break arm tackles. Ryan Matthews showed that could be useful yesterday and Mendenhall is the only RB on the roster with those combined talents.