Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #31
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,684 Times in 1,768 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: The Steelers, playoff caliber?

the problem is, the fire and brimstone doesn't really work either with this bunch of guys - there is a sense of complacency, especially after a huge win. It's like they think they've done something and that they'll just have to show up. The quotes from Keisel are really alarming. They've been in so many tough situations, won huge games - why on earth isn't someone stepping up to get their minds right? Well, that won't work. Nobody can make anybody want it badly enough to sacrifice. A lot of these players have a ton of soul searching to do IMO.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #32
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowland2110 View Post
This isnt a one time thing. Its a pattern. Tomlins teams have lacked discipline even the year we went to the SB again GB. How we even got there still amazing me. I NEVER thought the steelers played clean enough football to get there and it is the reason why we lost..
Steelers got to the Super Bowl against Green Bay because Rex Ryan outcoached Belichick and Sanchez outplayed Brady when the Steelers escaped having to go to New England and a likely playoff loss the next week - which probably had something to do with the Pats having absolutely smoked the Jets about a month before in a Monday night game - there is no excuse for a team looking past an opponent but it happens to teams other than the Steelers

Steelers have not had all hands on deck for a game all year - that is not an excuse but is a fact - Colon going down again hurts but if Taylor does not return sooner rather than later the season is officially screwed

For anyone who thought this team was Super Bowl quality going into the season, remember that Sports Illustrated predicted an 8-8 season and a third place finish in the AFC North

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ing/index.html
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
TRH (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #33
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Steelers got to the Super Bowl against Green Bay because Rex Ryan outcoached Belichick and Sanchez outplayed Brady when the Steelers escaped having to go to New England and a likely playoff loss the next week - which probably had something to do with the Pats having absolutely smoked the Jets about a month before in a Monday night game - there is no excuse for a team looking past an opponent but it happens to teams other than the Steelers

Steelers have not had all hands on deck for a game all year - that is not an excuse but is a fact - Colon going down again hurts but if Taylor does not return sooner rather than later the season is officially screwed

For anyone who thought this team was Super Bowl quality going into the season, remember that Sports Illustrated predicted an 8-8 season and a third place finish in the AFC North

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ing/index.html
This team has been trending downward for three years now. The key playmakers on defense are getting old. The playmakers on offense are young. The older players are losing a step, and the younger players are making young player mistakes.

Unfortunately, this recent draft class has been decimated. So, if the Steelers are to avoid a 2-3 year "re-building" phase I believe they need to make a splash or two in the FA market...a la Farrior a few years back.

A veteran, proven leader at LB, DE, or CB would go a long way toward keeping the Steelers in the playoff picture over the next couple of years. Otherwise, we may see this defense lose a lot of ground next year.
SteeleReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #34
Steelerforever77
Water Boy

Member Number: 13121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowland2110 View Post
This isnt a one time thing. Its a pattern. Tomlins teams have lacked discipline even the year we went to the SB again GB. How we even got there still amazing me. I NEVER thought the steelers played clean enough football to get there and it is the reason why we lost..

The jury is still out but right how i can say things look good for Tomlin as a coach. The undisciplined and unprepared football started to creep into this team after SB 43 and it has only gone down hill since then.
I totally agree. I noticed that as well, and I'm sure other teams have noticed it when they are preparing for the Steelers. There is now a "blueprint" on how to beat this team and that blueprint began when Arizona almost pulled off an upset in the Super Bowl.
Steelerforever77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #35
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I see a lazy team.

One week it's the defense that looks like shit, one week it's the running backs, one week it's the WR's, one week it's the OL that shits the bed.

Everybody seems to be looking for a week off from work.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #36
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerforever77 View Post
I totally agree. I noticed that as well, and I'm sure other teams have noticed it when they are preparing for the Steelers. There is now a "blueprint" on how to beat this team and that blueprint began when Arizona almost pulled off an upset in the Super Bowl.

and Rivers exposed another part of that "blueprint" as well. Pass to the OUTside - not inside.
We defend fairly well against passes thrown to the middle of the field - not outstanding - but fairly well.
But we get KILLED when QB's use those outside passes and routes when receivers turn to the sideline instead of to the middle. Thats what Rivers kept doing yesterday.
And Romo loves throwing to the sidelines, especially to Dez Bryant so next week will surely be interesting as you'll know they study this SD/Pitts game intensely.
Better figure out a way to stop it.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #37
Steelerforever77
Water Boy

Member Number: 13121

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewniorGong View Post
Of course we can win the Super Bowl.. there are only good teams in the playoffs

What I want to know is when the adjustments will be made to actually come out prepared to play bad teams. I see the teams we struggle against get slaughtered on a week to week basis and just bury my head in my hands
Just because a team makes the playoffs does not mean they are good. It sometimes means they backed their way in, in a weak conference. The Steelers may make the playoffs but it will be a quick exit like last year unless things change. It is a slap in the face as a fan when certain players on the team do not "show up" or try hard in certain games or admittedly are not focused. This is not the Steeler team we are used to. They are almost like imposters. They lack focus, dicipline, and veteran leadership. Someone needs to step up and say "Enough of this, it's not how we do things around here." So far the only one to do that was Brett Keisel. I normally think Big Ben says all the right things interviews but he was dead wrong in being an enabler for Mike Wallace. If a player says or does things that appear they are not giving their best effort, they deserve to get booed. These guys are grown men in a tough game and here they are whining because they are being booed. Get over it guys, play better ball, and don't make dumb comments to the media.
Steelerforever77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #38
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
I see a lazy team.

One week it's the defense that looks like shit, one week it's the running backs, one week it's the WR's, one week it's the OL that shits the bed.

Everybody seems to be looking for a week off from work.
I've noticed the exact same thing...going on 2 years now. At times it looks like the defense just got out of bed and are looking for their morning coffee - practically yawning.
Its equally frustrating when you watch the opponents just about foaming at the mouth, yelling, high-fiving, growling, and we're "just standing around". I haven't seen any of that on this side...since....well....Joey Porter days.
We desperately need that loud, boisterous, "ray lewis" leader of men type of guy (or a couple of them). I'm not a big fan of this "quiet leadership committee".
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #39
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Playoffs? Are you kidding me? Don't talk about the playoffs.......the playoffs? Seriously, we are not a playoff caliber team.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #40
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
Playoffs? Are you kidding me? Don't talk about the playoffs.......the playoffs?
Yo hippie

that lame quote jumped the shark, like, 2 years ago
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote