Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #101
JeromeBetties63
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 19049
Default Re: We don't deserve the playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsteelers View Post
look at the last few super bowl wins.

all looked like dog poop till the last few games..

got in and made magic happen..

Pitt can do it, gotta BELIEVE
^This!^
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #102
steelerschik
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16103
My Mood: Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
Have you even watched the Giants play this year. They have looked absolutely horrible at times. Yeah they are 8-5 which is ONE game better than us. They lost the opener to the Cowboys. They got BLOWN OUT by both the 49ers and the Bengals. And by the way lost to the Steelers recently. There's not much difference between us and them. Btw, the Giants looked even worse last year in the regular season.

Whether the Steelers turn it around or not I can't say, but to conclude that they won't just because they don't look good has proven to be a false notion in today's NFL. We have the talent and just need momentum.

And for the person who said they hope we don't make the playoffs, that's retarded and I doubt that you are a true Steelers fan.
If you were referring to me, you can doubt that all you want. I've been watching this team since the early 1970s and have season tickets and never missed a game until I handed my ticket over to my 15-year-old son. I've stayed true to this team through thick and thin and the 80s, and it's no different this time. This isn't the first time I haven't wanted to see them in the POs and it won't be the last. Just because someone doesn't share your opinion/insight or whatever doesn't make them retarded. Grow up.
steelerschik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #103
JeromeBetties63
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerschik View Post
If you were referring to me, you can doubt that all you want. I've been watching this team since the early 1970s and have season tickets and never missed a game until I handed my ticket over to my 15-year-old son. I've stayed true to this team through thick and thin and the 80s, and it's no different this time. This isn't the first time I haven't wanted to see them in the POs and it won't be the last. Just because someone doesn't share your opinion/insight or whatever doesn't make them retarded. Grow up.
Why would you not want your team to make the Play Offs? If you make the dance, you can win it all....especially a team like the Steelers. If you are one of 12 out of 32 to get into the post season, you have a shot. Plus, the young guys get some playoff experience which they can put to use in the future. This whole, "I don't want to make the playoffs" is not something that makes sense to me. Maybe if you were a Browns or Rams fan, you wouldn't take a trip to the tournament so lightly.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #104
JeromeBetties63
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
We should.... "UNLEASH HELL!" these next few weeks... if you will...

We have a mediocre team this year it sucks but it really is just that.
Mediocre that gets hot can win the SB in the current NFL. Lets just get in baby....whoo hoooo....cmon, dude, get your towel out:
Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #105
steelerschik
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeBetties63 View Post
Why would you not want your team to make the Play Offs? If you make the dance, you can win it all....especially a team like the Steelers. If you are one of 12 out of 32 to get into the post season, you have a shot. Plus, the young guys get some playoff experience which they can put to use in the future. This whole, "I don't want to make the playoffs" is not something that makes sense to me. Maybe if you were a Browns or Rams fan, you wouldn't take a trip to the tournament so lightly.
Again I'll say this team has the talent, I haven't seen anything that makes me think this team this year stands a chance in the POs, at all. The "if you make the dance...." quote is true if there are signs of a good team. Remember last year's POs? I feel the same way about this year's. Again if someone doesn't share your optimism, I'm sorry, but I'm realistic about this team. Just I have (or anyone else for that matter) has a different outlook on that doesn't make them any less of a fan, just one who doesn't want to get there to be let down...again. Whether or not this is a PO team doesn't matter, they're not playing like one.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #106
JeromeBetties63
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Again I'll say this team has the talent, I haven't seen anything that makes me think this team this year stands a chance in the POs, at all. The "if you make the dance...." quote is true if there are signs of a good team. Remember last year's POs? I feel the same way about this year's. Again if someone doesn't share your optimism, I'm sorry, but I'm realistic about this team. Just I have (or anyone else for that matter) has a different outlook on that doesn't make them any less of a fan, just one who doesn't want to get there to be let down...again. Whether or not this is a PO team doesn't matter, they're not playing like one.
Last year we limped into the playoffs with a lot of injuries. We seem to be getting healthy as we head toward the post season. (Especially if we get Ike back.) Was Ben's QB rating this high last year? Was the defense playing as well as this D has most of the season? There are signs that this is a better team than we fielded at the end of last season. I know you are not going to change your mind, but I leave you with these two things:

1. What do we gain by not making the playoffs? How does this really help our team in any way? A couple spots higher in the draft? Not enough to make it worth it to miss the Playoffs.

2. If they make the playoffs...then they are a playoff team. It's as simple as that. Only 6 AFC teams get in...six. If they are one of them, then they deserve to be there.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #107
steelerschik
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeBetties63 View Post
Last year we limped into the playoffs with a lot of injuries. We seem to be getting healthy as we head toward the post season. (Especially if we get Ike back.) Was Ben's QB rating this high last year? Was the defense playing as well as this D has most of the season? There are signs that this is a better team than we fielded at the end of last season. I know you are not going to change your mind, but I leave you with these two things:

1. What do we gain by not making the playoffs? How does this really help our team in any way? A couple spots higher in the draft? Not enough to make it worth it to miss the Playoffs.

2. If they make the playoffs...then they are a playoff team. It's as simple as that. Only 6 AFC teams get in...six. If they are one of them, then they deserve to be there.
No, you're right, I won't change my mind. By not getting there hopefully will spark a fire in this team they don't have or seem to have lost. They went from going to a SB and winning to losing a SB to one and done in the POs to possibly not making it at all. This downward trend isn't something I want to see continue. Something obviously needs addressed. And yes some higher draft picks would be nice, not that they'll make a difference right away, but there are positions on this team that need addressed and even a draft pick a few picks higher up could help.

If they make the POs, yes they're a PO team, but in the AFC, that's not saying much. I never said they don't deserve to be there, I said I'd rather them not get there playing the ball that they're playing than to go one and done again. It's a personal heartbreak I'd rather not endure again. Again, I'm seeing them play bad, sloppy ball, not "getting hot in December" ball like they should be.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #108
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,662 Times in 2,543 Posts
My Mood: Amused

I want the Steelers in the playoffs. If they get there, will they disappoint me? Maybe. But what if they win? It's all a part of being a fan. Ya gotta take the bad with the good.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #109
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Yeah I was talking to you and being a "fan" of a team and not wanting them to make the playoffs is pretty stupid in the books of most people.

Did it make you feel better for them to go 12-4 last year and get ousted in the first round?
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #110
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,686 Times in 4,770 Posts

Having a first round bye doesn't mean a whole lot anymore to be completely honest with you. Sure, it helps heal up injured guys but the guys we have injured right now aren't coming back. Colon went down and he's probably done for the season. Gilbert's in IR. Ben showed yesterday that he's capable of making plays, but just needed a week to get back into rhythm. Did they play absolute terrible football yesterday? No question - but it's understandable. That Chargers defense isn't a slouch, especially that front 7.

Regarding playoffs, we'll get there. We're going to win out and get to 10-6 - I'm very confident in saying so. When we get to the playoffs we play our best football and there's definitely reason for optimism for this team and what they're capable of. Saying we don't deserve to get into the playoffs because we lost to bad teams is ridiculous - if we're there, we're there.

There's also a lot of "what if we play Denver with Peyton!?" and "I'm scared of Houston with Matt Schaub!" and it's laughable. If you're scared of Houston, you're doing something wrong. The Texans shouldn't scare anyone. Why? Matt Schaub is their starting quarterback. They don't have an "elite" defense - they have an elite front 7 and a terrible, terrible secondary. The Packers showed everyone - in primetime - that if you make Schaub throw to win, the Texans lose. He's an average quarterback with a truly outstanding supporting cast. Shut down Foster and make Schaub throw and the Texans lose. Obviously shutting down Foster is easier said than done, but that should be our number one goal if we do in fact have to play Houston.

Regarding Denver with Manning - two things. One, he's 9-10 in the postseason and generally folds when the games truly matter. Two, comparing our loss last year to Tebow and (potentially) Manning this year is absurd. We had a special gameplan for Timmy and it didn't work effectively. We stuffed the box and we made him beat us with his arm, which he was unfortunately able to do. If you're sitting there and telling me with a straight face we'd go into Denver with the same gameplan, you don't know football. Plain and simple.

The amount of negativity is saddening. We're all Steelers diehards here and we're acting like a bunch of tweenie girls. The "we fucking suck! we don't deserve the playoffs! fire Tomlin!" is such a ridiculous overreaction to losing it's almost comical. How about we take a collective breath and step back and look at this thing objectively. With our defense keeping us in games for the most part, it'll only be a matter of time before this team returns to the one we saw beat the Giants. Ben just needed a week to get back to playing like Roethlisberger and I think next week, you'll see Ben just being Ben.

This team is still great, guys. A couple bad games here and there isn't going to change it. Remember, this is the same team we were all excited about after going into the Meadowlands and cleaning up the Giants and beating the Ravens in Baltimore. We just need our offense to get back into rhythm and clicking once again. Over the next three games, you'll see why the Steelers are still the class of the AFC.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote