Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default "Why can't we be like the Pats...."

Admit it - don't you wish our offense and team was like the Pats? They go up 42-7 on teams like Houston, routinely score 40+ points and blow out the weak teams like they should. . In short, they act and behave as a dominant team should.

In contrast, the Steelers lose to teams with losing records such as the Chargers, Browns, Raiders and Titans. They are "Jekyll and Hyde", "bipolar", they "do not have an identity" and they wimper to wins over lowly teams like KC. They never seem to blow out an opponent and rarely score 40+ points.

So don't you wish we were like the Pats? If you deny it - just look at what you posted in the past 24 hrs. It sure sounds like you wish the Steelers won like the Patriots. Wouldn't rooting for a team that plays and wins like the Pats cure all your Steeler angst?

Before you think of me as a traitor - let me tell you why I like the Steelers just the way they are. The Pats are good and just like the Steelers, they give their fans the opportunity to win the Super Bowl year in and year out - which is all we fans can realistically ask for. However, the Steelers have a better defense and generally play football that allows their defense to be be on the field less than they have to. The Steelers generally win the time of possession battle and they do this by being dedicated to running the ball and winding down the clock. This means that we air it out less, play more ball control and score less.

Have we been successful? You bet. Since 2005, the Steelers have gone to 3 Super Bowls and won 2. The Pats have gone to 2 Super Bowls and won 0. When it comes to crunch time, teams seem to be able to stop the Pats high powered offense and find ways to score on their defense.

Do you think the Pats fans are eternally happy because their team "dominates"? Wrong. Just like any other team's message board - there are always things to gripe about. Calls to fire Belichick and sit Brady were rampant after the loss to the Cardinals and the Pat's 1-2 start. See its not always greener on the other side.

Do the Pats have a chance to win the SB this year? Absolutely! They are a good team - but I like our Steelers just fine, thank you, and recent history seems to favor how the Steelers like to play football. It may be boring, inconsistent and anger / anxiety provoking at times but every now and then, they put it all together and reward us fans with a SB win.

Go Steelers.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,147 Times in 476 Posts
Default Re: "Why can't we be like the Pats...."

Traitor? Are you kidding? I may be a Steelers diehard, but there's NOTHING wrong in wanting to beat teams the way New England does on a weekly basis, which is kick the absolute living DOGSHIT out of you!

I'm still trying to wrap my fucking head around what I witnessed in front of me yesterday, against a West Coast team, traveling to Pittsburgh, in the elements, their head coach practically fired with nothing to play for and completely dismantling us while Tom Brady continues to scorch the #1 team in the AFC Conference with his eyes closed by 30+ points!
CanuckCurtain (12-10-2012), Steelers>NFL (12-11-2012), ZoneBlitzer (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,147 Times in 476 Posts

Meanwhile, our franchise QB is coming off his yearly 3-game stretch with injury and is greeted by RAPID fuckin' FIRE. It's ridiculous.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Because scoring too many points is classless. Honestly whenever the Steelers would win by more than 17 points I would be ashamed. To me that just shows that Ben only cares about his stats. I mean why keep pouring it on another team's defense when you could just sit on the ball and put more pressure on your defense?

GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Meanwhile, our franchise QB is coming off his yearly 3-game stretch with injury and is greeted by RAPID fuckin' FIRE. It's ridiculous.
So do you think that Brady's success is mostly based on his OL play?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775

They're better coached that's for sure. Their execution is consistently excellent and their game planning is often second to none. They are absolutely destroying the Texans in every phase the game. Even their so called weak defense has completely dominated. I can see them reaching the SB again. They are perennial contenders it seems.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

I want to see progress as the season goes on......what exactly have we gotten better at over the course of this season???

The Steelers need to quit FFFing around and start acting like they want what all the fans want

We have 3 games left to get into shape with whatever we have left....Go out there and show some discipline and build into the next week

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steel_Bus_24 For This Useful Post:
ZoneBlitzer (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Because scoring too many points is classless. Honestly whenever the Steelers would win by more than 17 points I would be ashamed. To me that just shows that Ben only cares about his stats. I mean why keep pouring it on another team's defense when you could just sit on the ball and put more pressure on your defense?

I think its like Daniel Day-Lewis when he's acting. Did you know that he stays in character even off the set. He was annoying the shit out of people dragging his body around while shooting "My Left Foot" and actually broke two ribs in the process. However, I don't think he knows any other way. He does it because he believes it makes him the best actor.

I think the Pats try to score because it is what they do. I don't think they are trying to rub it in - its just what they do.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
So do you think that Brady's success is mostly based on his OL play?
You know, for all the shit Ben gets for holding onto the ball too long (which to be fair he does at times), guys like Brady and Manning aren't always throwing quick releases. There are times they hold onto the ball while their lines give them time for WRs to get open.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,285 Times in 889 Posts
My Mood: Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
I want to see progress as the season goes on......what exactly have we gotten better at over the course of this season???

The Steelers need to quick FFFing around and start acting like they want what all the fans want

We have 3 games left to get into shape with whatever we have left....Go out there and show some discipline and build into the next week
They have gotten better at giving fans a false sense of hope by beating a good team on the road one week, before laying at egg at home against a bottom feeder the very next week. Other than that, I got nothing.
Blacksburg Zach is online now   Reply With Quote