Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #161
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,399 Times in 2,089 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: "Why can't we be like the Pats...."

The Cincy and NYG game were the two shining moments for this team. I haven't seen it since, except in the Baltimore game.

I dunno - seems like these guys are more interested in posting contests to their face book pages and marketing themselves rather than being football players. They are human beings - but, how about get down to business from September to February!?

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #162
steelerschik
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16103
My Mood: Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
The Cincy and NYG game were the two shining moments for this team. I haven't seen it since, except in the Baltimore game.

I dunno - seems like these guys are more interested in posting contests to their face book pages and marketing themselves rather than being football players. They are human beings - but, how about get down to business from September to February!?
Yeah, those 2 games were by far the best this season; maybe even add the second half of the Jets game and MAYBE. The Baltimore game was played with heart and emotion, and that's something I haven't seen enough of this year. Two to 3 good games out of a season isn't acceptable if you want to be considered a PO team. I can't get past Tenn, Oakland, Cleveland, SD and even KC. They need to play with that heart and emotion they played in Baltimore for these next 3 games then hopefully they can save themselves from....themselves.
steelerschik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #163
i82much
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11562

Ravens fan here. I hate this thread, because I know it's true. The NFL has become a watered-down arena league. Yeah I still watch. But it makes me sick to see all the drive-sustaining calls the offenses get these days. I think it is a result of a conscious decision by the NFL to bring in money by elevating idols like Manning and, worst of all, Brady. Defensive-oriented teams have tried to adjust but at the end of the day playing good old-school football doesn't get it done anymore.

I have no doubt that with 1970's rules and referees the last decade of football would have turned out very, very differently.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #164
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Ravens fan here. I hate this thread, because I know it's true. The NFL has become a watered-down arena league. Yeah I still watch. But it makes me sick to see all the drive-sustaining calls the offenses get these days. I think it is a result of a conscious decision by the NFL to bring in money by elevating idols like Manning and, worst of all, Brady. Defensive-oriented teams have tried to adjust but at the end of the day playing good old-school football doesn't get it done anymore.

I have no doubt that with 1970's rules and referees the last decade of football would have turned out very, very differently.
you're right - just the way civilization is going in general. People just aren't goin to accept the brutal effects in the nation's most popular sport. what's weird to me anyways, is that Boxing and UFC are far more violent - UFC is gaining in popularity, but isn't getting much attention in terms of zeroing in on the brutal hits, because it isn't mainstream.

Does anyone have an article or quote to show if concussions have actually gone down since the increase in discipline for head hits? My guess is that the number of concussions are the same, or only very slightly less. I just don't see, unless you eliminate sacking the QB or tackling altogether, concussions being limited that much.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #165
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

Quote:
you're right - just the way civilization is going in general. People just aren't goin to accept the brutal effects in the nation's most popular sport. what's weird to me anyways, is that Boxing and UFC are far more violent - UFC is gaining in popularity, but isn't getting much attention in terms of zeroing in on the brutal hits, because it isn't mainstream.

Does anyone have an article or quote to show if concussions have actually gone down since the increase in discipline for head hits? My guess is that the number of concussions are the same, or only very slightly less. I just don't see, unless you eliminate sacking the QB or tackling altogether, concussions being limited that much.
Honestly concussions reported have probably went up. Players are actually forced to report to trainers now instead of hiding it.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #166
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6RingsAndCounting View Post
Honestly concussions reported have probably went up. Players are actually forced to report to trainers now instead of hiding it.
didn't think of that - very true - so then it might be hard to actually have concrete evidence since so much of it went un reported. I guess the research should just look into the past 2-3 seasons?

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
Old 12-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #167
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

Quote:
didn't think of that - very true - so then it might be hard to actually have concrete evidence since so much of it went un reported. I guess the research should just look into the past 2-3 seasons?
It will probably take a few years before they can get actual proof that what dictator Goodell did helped.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #168
i82much
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11562

Quote:

I think concussions have actually increased as a result of the rules to help offenses. Think about 20 years ago - how did you play coverage? You blanket your man down the field, jostling for position on the ball.

Now, they throw a flag for the slightest bit of contact. So how do you play coverage? You see a lot more zone, and you see a lot more coverage playing "off" of the receiver so you don't get the flag. So instead, what do you do? You wait for the exact instant the ball gets there and nail the guy. Result? More touchdowns, more flags, and more concussions.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #169
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,000 Times in 1,058 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Eh, the NFL ain't doomed, but it sure has been softened. It ain't awful, the players won't let become awful... I think.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #170
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I think concussions have actually increased as a result of the rules to help offenses. Think about 20 years ago - how did you play coverage? You blanket your man down the field, jostling for position on the ball.

Now, they throw a flag for the slightest bit of contact. So how do you play coverage? You see a lot more zone, and you see a lot more coverage playing "off" of the receiver so you don't get the flag. So instead, what do you do? You wait for the exact instant the ball gets there and nail the guy. Result? More touchdowns, more flags, and more concussions.
Good Point! Zone defense is more prevalent now and that means the defenders get a running start to hit the receiver.