Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,329 Times in 4,412 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Big Ben says "it’s time to pick it up and go"

Big Ben says it’s time to go

By F. Dale Lolley
published dec 13, 2012

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger feels as though the team needs to put a multitude of distractions behind it. “It’s time to pick it up and go,” Roethlisberger said.

PITTSBURGH – Between injuries, suspensions and holdouts, the Steelers have had more than their share of potential distractions this season.

The way the Steelers see it, they’ve turned the corner, even if that turn came on just two wheels, and are ready to begin their drive toward the postseason.

“That’s a good way to put it, turning the corner on two wheels,” said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. “But I think the turn is over. I think we’re going to settle down on four, kick it into four-wheel drive and get going.”

The Steelers (7-6) swear that the latest drama surrounding the team, the suspension of running back Rashard Mendenhall Tuesday for conduct detrimental to the team, won’t be a factor in their preparations for Sunday’s game at Dallas (7-6).

“I think those are reasons (when) you lose,” said Steelers safety Ryan Clark. “If we were three games better, it’s not talked about as much. It’s more about the way we overcame adversity, or drama. I think the words change and the language used about what we’ve been through changes.”

Mendenhall was suspended by head coach Mike Tomlin for one game after not showing up for last Sunday’s loss to San Diego when he learned that he would be inactive.

But it’s not been the lone issue surrounding the Steelers, who have been inconsistent, this season.

Wide receiver Mike Wallace did not report to training camp while in a contract dispute, while rookie nose tackle Alameda Ta’amu was arrested Oct. 14 after he allegedly evaded police while driving intoxicated and struck several parked cars, injuring one person, on Pittsburgh’s South Side, drawing a two-game suspension. He was later waived and signed to the team’s practice squad.

And then there are the injuries.

Pittsburgh’s starters have missed a total of 44 games to injuries this season, not including players such as offensive tackle Mike Adams, who were hurt after replacing other injured players.

“I think more than anything, the most drama we’ve had is injuries, not so much people going on IR, but missing games,” said Clark. “That’s probably been a lot more difficult to overcome than a guy not coming to a football game, or a guy not coming to training camp, or a guy who has never played a snap in a regular game missing time because of something that happened off the field.”

One of the biggest issues surrounding the Steelers coming into this season was how it would respond to a loss of veteran leaders such as Hines Ward, James Farrior and Aaron Smith, who all retired after 2011.

And because of the injury issues the team has had, a number of younger players are being counted upon to play increased roles.

Roethlisberger feels it is incumbent upon the team’s veterans to show the younger guys how to play with an increased sense of urgency and tune out possible distractions, not through words, but through actions.

“I think you’ll see from guys who have been around here a while that it’s that time, you’ll start seeing some leaders step up in how to practice, how to get ready for games,” Roethlisberger said. “Hopefully, young guys will take some cues from that.

“It’s that time of year. I know that me in particular and some guys who have been around here, you’re going to start seeing a different mindset and mentality that it’s that time of year. In years past, nobody has had to say it, because we have had so many guys that have done it before. It’s time to pick it up and go. I think we have some veteran guys who will do that. We’ve got to get the young guys to do the same.”

Odds and end zones

The Steelers on Wednesday released wide receiver David Reed from their practice squad and signed wideouts David Gilreath and Derek Moye and cornerback Isaiah Green. … Linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who has missed the past two games with an ankle injury, was a full participant in practice Wednesday. … Corner Cortez Allen has a groin injury, not a hip flexor injury as reported by Tomlin Tuesday. … In addition to Allen, corners Ike Taylor (anke) and Keenan Lewis (hip), offensive linemen Mike Adams (ankle) and Willie Colon (knee), linebacker James Harrison (illness), safety Troy Polamalu (coach’s decision) and wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (shoulder) did not practice Wednesday.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/art...6#.UMljVM2FEmw
Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Default Re: Big Ben says "it’s time to pick it up and go"

Its gut check time fellas

Time to find out who really wants it

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
Its gut check time fellas

Time to find out who really wants it
...not Tomlin. Let's see if the coordinators and players have enough to overcome him again.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,687 Times in 2,365 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

See. I think it's past time.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

"... UNLEASH...

... the 'pick-it-up and go'!!!"
Old 12-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Too much talking this year, not enough doing. Sounds like they're trying to convince themselves of something they don't really believe.

Saw this in 2003, 2006, 2009.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,803 Times in 1,825 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Too much talking this year, not enough doing. Sounds like they're trying to convince themselves of something they don't really believe.

Saw this in 2003, 2006, 2009.
yea - it's all good that we can lose and still beat Cleveland and Cincy - but after a potential loss, who has the confidence that they'll win both of those games?

They need a win, right now. Nothing else matters. The talk means shit. I heard the same stuff backing into the playoffs last season and they weren't ready.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
The_Joker
Team President

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 1,035 Times in 568 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

As I said, Sunday is Judgement Day. If this team does not come out and ball HARD, then I have litterly 0 faith in them come January.
The_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,803 Times in 1,825 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
As I said, Sunday is Judgement Day. If this team does not come out and ball HARD, then I have litterly 0 faith in them come January.
12-16-12. 4:30 PM, Dallas. The day the Steelers became self-aware and eliminated mankind.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Steel_Bus_24 (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
yea - it's all good that we can lose and still beat Cleveland and Cincy - but after a potential loss, who has the confidence that they'll win both of those games?

They need a win, right now. Nothing else matters. The talk means shit. I heard the same stuff backing into the playoffs last season and they weren't ready.
Agreed. Nothing will convince me that a team who has lost 4 of 5 (if we lose Sunday) is going to suddenly go on a six-game win streak and bring home a trophy.

This game is the turning point in the season.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maddog78 For This Useful Post:
plenewken (12-13-2012)