Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #171
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Re: "Why can't we be like the Pats...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Because scoring too many points is classless. Honestly whenever the Steelers would win by more than 17 points I would be ashamed. To me that just shows that Ben only cares about his stats. I mean why keep pouring it on another team's defense when you could just sit on the ball and put more pressure on your defense?

WTF??? Dude this is pro football, you don't wanna get blown out...then stop the other team from scoring, you play to the final whistle bottom line...you want a mercy rule go watch pop warner
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #172
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
WTF??? Dude this is pro football, you don't wanna get blown out...then stop the other team from scoring, you play to the final whistle bottom line...you want a mercy rule go watch pop warner
I'm gonna guess that he was being sarcastic.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #173
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Why can't we be like Superman, or maybe Spiderman. While we at it why can't I be more like Brad Pitt and my wife AnJolie. A person can obsess too much on what they don't have and lose sight of what we DO HAVE.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #174
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,048 Times in 7,618 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I think concussions have actually increased as a result of the rules to help offenses. Think about 20 years ago - how did you play coverage? You blanket your man down the field, jostling for position on the ball.

Now, they throw a flag for the slightest bit of contact. So how do you play coverage? You see a lot more zone, and you see a lot more coverage playing "off" of the receiver so you don't get the flag. So instead, what do you do? You wait for the exact instant the ball gets there and nail the guy. Result? More touchdowns, more flags, and more concussions.
Inetersting point.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #175
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219
My Mood: Paranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
Why can't we be like Superman, or maybe Spiderman. While we at it why can't I be more like Brad Pitt and my wife AnJolie. A person can obsess too much on what they don't have and lose sight of what we DO HAVE.
We ain't got shit budday
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #176
btaylor179
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15251

yea i wish we were as good as pats.......coach is alot better
btaylor179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #177
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,732 Times in 809 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy

I think a lot of guys just need to step up their game. We have quite a few goats on this team that are getting paid a shit ton of money to play the game of football. Mike Wallace is a prime example of everything that's been wrong with our offense. His play has been below average for a guy that touts himself as a #1 type of receiver and was whining in the off season for Larry Fitz money. He drops passes (easy ones), takes plays off, and is at best a mediocre blocker. I honestly thought Plax put out a better effort than Wallace. Mendenhall is another goat. Numbnuts didn't even show up because he knew he was on the inactive list by his own admission. I don't know but I'm pretty sure Troy was on the sideline supporting his teammates when he was hurt. Mendenhall is selfish and doesn't give a damn about his teammates or the fans and he showed that when he got himself suspended. He's had opportunities to take control of the running game and to show of his alleged starting talent and has done nothing. He should be trying to step up and be a leader, instead he's a goat just like Wallace.

The offensive line also seems to have lost the mean streak it had with a healthy Willie Colon. Since he injured his knee the o-line play overall has gone downhill. It's amazing Ben wasn't carted off the field last Sunday. He took an absolute pounding. Sometimes it was because his style of play but for the most part it was because of the o-line's inability to properly protect him. The running game has been also been non-existent for the past few weeks. Our running backs are nothing spectacular in my personal opinion but they've played well when the o-line has played well. If the o-line can get better the running game will get better as well.

My biggest gripe though is with the offensive playcalling. Haley impressed me early on in the season but his playcalling has steadily worsened. We are becoming predictable. Ben seems to be at his best when he's calling the plays and running the no huddle offense. Haley's offense seems to rely heavily on utilizing the run game to open up the passing game via play action. This would be fine if our running game was a factor but it hasn't been and yet they still try to reestablish it week after week and run, run, run when it just plain isn't working. Let Ben do his thing, that's when the offense is at it's best.

The defense has been the bright spot over the past couple of games but against the Chargers they got exposed. I think it was mostly because Ike Taylor wasn't on the field. For all the Ike Taylor naysayers this game should've shown you just how well this guy has played, and just how much he means to this defense. We've been #1 against the pass for a reason and that's due mostly to Ike and Keenan holding it down in the secondary. The ineffective play of the secondary against the Chargers allowed them to establish their running game in the second half which ultimately killed any chances we had to come back and win the game.

Ziggy Hood is another guy that has pissed me off this season. Hood and Timmons were two guys at the beginning of the season that to me, needed to step up and prove they are worthy of the Steelers uniform. Timmons has undoubtedly proven that, Hood on the other hand has not. At times Hood will make a play here and there but for the most part I see teams specifically running the ball right at him because they know he's questionable in run defense. He has got to pull his head out of his ass and start playing up to his potential. The guy is a physical specimen and there's no excuse for him not performing up to his talent.

Last edited by IowaSteeler927; 12-14-2012 at 06:53 AM.
IowaSteeler927 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #178
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

I haven't posted on this thread, until now, simply because I find there are too many threads that pop up here similar to this one. Why can't we be like...., lets go get free agent so and so....
Here's a thought....Why cant we be more like .......wait for it.....THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!!!!!! Be the QB sacking, Turnover forcing defense that most of us know and love!!! Why can't we be the run the ball down your throat, big pass play offense we know is in there!!!
That is the team I want to see, not the friggin Patriots!
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rick5895 For This Useful Post:
IowaSteeler927 (12-14-2012), Lady Steel (12-14-2012), teegre (12-14-2012), The_Joker (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #179
The_Joker
Team President

Member Number: 24540
My Mood: Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
Here's a thought....Why cant we be more like .......wait for it.....THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!!!!!! Be the QB sacking, Turnover forcing defense that most of us know and love!!! Why can't we be the run the ball down your throat, big pass play offense we know is in there!!!
That is the team I want to see, not the friggin Patriots!

Steelers, Heat, Caps, Nats, Kevin Harvick #4
The_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #180
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,649 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I hope they have it in them to do all of the above.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote