Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #131
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky
Default Re: Mendenhall suspended

I don't think mendy was ever given a fair chance. It sounds to me like narrow minded Steelers fans don't like him cause he has an opinion that is not part of the majority. I bet IF HE CHOSES to sign elsewhere, he is a top back. Rashard don't seem to be the person that wants to be part of the NFL scene cause he knows there is way more politics/business involved that takes the fun out of the game. Rashard has too much self respect for this league.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #132
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,553 Times in 1,599 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
I don't think mendy was ever given a fair chance. It sounds to me like narrow minded Steelers fans don't like him cause he has an opinion that is not part of the majority. I bet IF HE CHOSES to sign elsewhere, he is a top back. Rashard don't seem to be the person that wants to be part of the NFL scene cause he knows there is way more politics/business involved that takes the fun out of the game. Rashard has too much self respect for this league.
His "opinion" on 9/11 was inflammatory and conspiracy theorist in nature. He put his opinion on Twitter a social media site out for the world to read. It was stupid to put it on there in the first place. He knows fully well that everyone was going to read it and what the backlash would be from people in general, the fans, and the media for that matter. Those kinds of opinions are best kept to yourself, especially when you're a professional football player in the public eye.

As for his performance he has done absolutely nothing to inspire confidence. He is injury prone, and the past couple of seasons even when he has played he has been inconsistent. He killed a good drive in the Super Bowl against the Packers with his fumbling issues as well. He has had fumbling issues off an on throughout his playing career.

This year he's had his chances to take the reigns at the HB position and he once again got hurt. Even when he did play he was incredibly inconsistent, hesitant, and his fumbling problems reared their ugly head once again. To top it off he was listed inactive for the Chargers game and decided that was an excuse to just not show up and support his team. Players like Polamalu, or Roethlisberger set an example and lead from the sidelines when they are hurt. Mendenhall would rather shun his teammates and the fans by staying at home. He was suspended for a reason. He's been given a fair shake far too many times and it's high time they booted his sorry ass to the curb.

Your own sig says "Screw Wallace, throw it to Heath". Wallace sadly has been a more consistent player for us than Mendenhall.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #133
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,769 Times in 2,249 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
His "opinion" on 9/11 was inflammatory and conspiracy theorist in nature. He put his opinion on Twitter a social media site out for the world to read. It was stupid to put it on there in the first place. He knows fully well that everyone was going to read it and what the backlash would be from people in general, the fans, and the media for that matter. Those kinds of opinions are best kept to yourself, especially when you're a professional football player in the public eye.

As for his performance he has done absolutely nothing to inspire confidence. He is injury prone, and the past couple of seasons even when he has played he has been inconsistent. He killed a good drive in the Super Bowl against the Packers with his fumbling issues as well. He has had fumbling issues off an on throughout his playing career.

This year he's had his chances to take the reigns at the HB position and he once again got hurt. Even when he did play he was incredibly inconsistent, hesitant, and his fumbling problems reared their ugly head once again. To top it off he was listed inactive for the Chargers game and decided that was an excuse to just not show up and support his team. Players like Polamalu, or Roethlisberger set an example and lead from the sidelines when they are hurt. Mendenhall would rather shun his teammates and the fans by staying at home. He was suspended for a reason. He's been given a fair shake far too many times and it's high time they booted his sorry ass to the curb.

Your own sig says "Screw Wallace, throw it to Heath". Wallace sadly has been a more consistent player for us than Mendenhall.
I agree on the 9/11 comments - but not on the fumble in the SB - sure it was awful, AWFUL momentum changing timing. But, his blocker completely stunk it up that play and he didn't have a chance from the moment the ball was snapped. He got completely blown up by Matthews on what should have been at worst, a stop for a loss. I'm still wondering how 85 ever made the active roster. The dropped 5 yard passes are still haunting me. Ugh Bruce Arians product.

Also - just my two cents - Ben really didn't become that great of a teammate or leader until after he almost got traded to Siberia after the 2nd allegation. I agree on Troy though.

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #134
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,652 Times in 2,540 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
Rashard has too much self respect for this league.
The way I see it, if Mendy has so much respect for the league, he would have shown up for work.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #135
Cyphon
Head Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,595 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
But, his blocker completely stunk it up that play and he didn't have a chance from the moment the ball was snapped. He got completely blown up by Matthews on what should have been at worst, a stop for a loss.
The fumble isn't completely his fault and you make a fair point but he is still a pretty consistent fumbler. On top of that if you ever watch how he carries the ball it is about as bad as it gets. There is a 5 point technique that players are taught and practice. Mendenahll covers maybe 2 of those points when he carries the ball.

I honestly can't even watch him run without expecting a fumble almost every time. I believe he even fumbled when nobody touched him because of the way he carried the ball.

Beyond the fumble problems though, he just isn't that good. He seems scared to get hit and runs more side to side and backwards than forward. Our team is a team with a reputation for toughness and he just doesn't fit.
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyphon For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #136
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,846 Times in 5,695 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Clark, the Steelers‘ players union representative, understands why coach Mike Tomlin is upset that Rashard Mendenhall was a no-show Sunday, even though he knew he wasn‘t playing. As Clark said, what if the circumstances change on game day? “I‘m an inactive player and I know I‘m not playing because I‘m a healthy scratch. But what if Troy (Polamalu) wakes up in the morning and his foot swells? You can be put up (to play). So that‘s why you want a guy at the game, from my perspective.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2F4A0XzR3
Old 12-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #137
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,846 Times in 5,695 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Rashard Mendenhall believes Steelers still want him

By Gregg Rosenthal
Published: Dec. 12, 2012

Rashard Mendenhall knew he would be inactive for the Pittsburgh Steelers' Week 14 game against the San Diego Chargers, so he decided not to show up for it, according to NFL.com's Aditi Kinkhabwala.

Now Mendenhall has been suspended for a week, the Steelers announced Tuesday.

With just three weeks left in the season and his contract running out, it wouldn't be surprising if Mendenhall doesn't play for the Steelers ever again. But Mendenhall, who believed the team gave up on him before the suspension, now believes he's still in the Steelers' plans.

Kinkhabwala reports, citing a source close to the player, that the suspension led to "a lot of positive conversation" between the Steelers and Mendenhall, and he now believes he will be a factor down the stretch.

"I really believe Rashard is going to come back with great energy and great excitement," Mendenhall's agent, Mike McCartney, told Kinkhabwala. "He's going to embrace his teammates and his team, and he could be a huge part of a playoff run."

Mendenhall figures to be one of the more interesting free-agent running backs on the market this offseason. McCartney knows as well as anyone that this act of petulance in the middle of a playoff run isn't going to help his client.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...mail.NL.15.PIT
Old 12-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #138
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,652 Times in 2,540 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Mendy needs to put up or shut up.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #139
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Mendy needs to find his life's work.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #140
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphon View Post
The fumble isn't completely his fault and you make a fair point but he is still a pretty consistent fumbler. On top of that if you ever watch how he carries the ball it is about as bad as it gets. There is a 5 point technique that players are taught and practice. Mendenahll covers maybe 2 of those points when he carries the ball.

I honestly can't even watch him run without expecting a fumble almost every time. I believe he even fumbled when nobody touched him because of the way he carried the ball.

Beyond the fumble problems though, he just isn't that good. He seems scared to get hit and runs more side to side and backwards than forward. Our team is a team with a reputation for toughness and he just doesn't fit.
No he's not. He's actually exceedingly sure-handed. Ironically enough, I'd prefer people criticize him for his tweets (which he actually wrote) than for his fumbles, which are fairly low. He's had two, maybe three bad games in his career that are skewing his numbers a bit, but skewing people's opinion of him even worse.

Short version: dislike him all you want. He's not a fumbler.